Petsco?

Steph M

Rural pug: no they don't have other animals that will be adopted undesexed - it basically means the animals that haven't had vet work done yet and applications can be put in for them, however the animal won't leave their care until vet work is done.

Cosmolo: they aren't beholden to GAWS adoption processes, however they have their own. An application must be put in for the animal, then approved. Once approved the customer has to wait 24 hrs til they can pick up the animal. There is also a 7 day cooling off period.

However I'm not sure the animals are getting the required attention or exercise, as the amount of staff members to animals needing the attention as well as selling the products is concerning.

Slightly unrelated but - a $225 bed?

If I recall correctly you pee'd yourself laughing when someone bought a bed that cost only around $100 for a puppy and couldn't understand why someone would spend that much ... and you ridiculed people who did such things.

I had a laugh at someone who bought one for a new puppy saying surely they couldn't do any damage to it. Gus had a cheap one til we knew he wasn't a bed chewer.

That and it was the only one in his size, not ideal but I'm not finding much better in xxl online.

We have AWL cats at the pet shop I work at. In terms of requirements, one of our staff is mainly in charge of the AWL processing and talks to prospective owners extensively before she decides whether they are suitable, she has no qualms in turning someone down if she doesn't think the home is a suitable one, often the adoption process may take up to w week if she isn't available to talk to them that day so there is no impulse sort of buying going on. Cats are still assessed and adopted based on their personal needs in terms of other pets, kids, level of activity in the house. While at the store the cats live in an aviary style cat run. Most of the time they are only at the store for a week or two before being adopted and if they aren't settled in the store they are taken back into a home care situation and another cat comes in instead. Only outgoing, relaxed cats are considered for adoption from the store in order to ensure they aren't stressed out. Of course they are fully vet worked by AWL too.

I don't work at a Petsco but thought this might provide a little insight into how this might work in a pet shop environment.

Kelpiecuddles - I work at a store that adopts out cats through pets haven and thats how we run it too, in fact no adult cat is adopted without extensive questions and conversation. We also detail extensively how to introduce cats to each other and adult data to a new environment successfully.

The application process at petsco is supposed to be similar. I have concerns that selling stuff with the animals is more important than the homes...

It just seemed odd they appeared to be ragdolls, cavs and pugs who I know are pretty big pet shop winners.

I don't imagine too many litters of pugs, cavs and ragdolls come through GAWS and all at once? It just rung alarm bells, but hey, still happy to be wrong!

so if the cats are leaving and then coming back again, do they go into quarantine first before all being mixed again - have just any many concerns with that sort of thing going on too, not really ideal

Was that question asked of me Linda? The majority of the cats are coming in from a single foster home, our AWL person is very active in rescue and works very hard rescueing kitties, in the majority of cases the cats are with her for a period while she assesses their health, gets their vet work, testing, etc done and then they either go to the shop if there is space and she feels they will be settled there or they go to another foster carer. The AWL cats aviary in the shop is towards the back of the store, well away from any other animals that may come in to the store for any other reason(it's a very big store, like a pet superstore type place) so if they do go back in to foster care from there the risks are low. In the shop they are mostly tended to by a visiting AWL person. Because the cats that go in to the store are carefully chosen very few ever need to go back in to foster care, most are adopted direct from the store within a week or two. :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

You would be surprised what comes through GAWS. Saying that nicer in that shop then down here in a concrete pen in Geelong it's freaking freezing.

I don't see what the difference is between them being desexed from a shop or desexed from the pound. You think from a pound they get put through any more of a wringer?

I go into the knox one all the time. They tend to have 1 dog, a litter of kittens, 2-3 adult cats and a couple of rabbits. The dog is missing a lot as they take him/her out for walks.

The cages are small but a few months ago they told me they hadnt had a dog longer than four days. I also know one store had some grey hounds they had trouble rehoming so they put them in foster care.

Edited by chuckandsteve

that sounds good then Kelpiecuddles - certainly sounds a lot better than the animals taken out on adoption day drive days at places that get handled by who knows how many people, and then taken back to the shelters and bringing who know what back with them.

Thanks for that info mackie and kc.thumbsup1.gif

There are very likely good pet shop environments as well as bad ones, they are a hell of a lot better off there than in a freezing concrete pen surrounded by pups with parvo and god knows what else.

Not all rescues have the money and facilities to rear litters so I guess this could be one option for them. Funny about them just having the popular pure breeds there though, I guess in the end they do have a business to run so are going only to accept the sure sellers.

Mostly I am very glad that they are desexed before they go that helps a lot to stop the vicious "I paid a lot so will breed a couple of litters to get my money back" cycle.

• 2 months later...

Update on this old thread:

Though not branded a PETSco per se, the pet store in fountain gate (narre warren) that is selling puppies from unknown places is owned, run and operated by PETSco owner and company director.

At this stage I am unsure what other stores he still owns and where the animals in these stores are now from.

GAWS has removed any PETSco insignia from there website.

The Knox shop is now called Knox Pets and is also back to selling puppies and kittens. :(

Yes i went past there today and was sad to see litters of pups again...:(....:(

On a good note; i saw a large pet rescue sign in a dress store window at Knox City........:thumbsup:

Noticed the kittens and puppies in FG about three months ago. Queried what happened to the rescue pets and the shop assistant told me they had to start selling puppies and kittens as they found people weren't buying accessories with the rescue pets, ie not making enough money.

The Knox shop is now called Knox Pets and is also back to selling puppies and kittens. :(

yup I noticed this too..what a load of crap hey? So sad :( I refuse to go in there now..again... :(

Better find better shop to go to Missy Moo, haha! Can think of one moving to bigger premises at moment, and don't sell animals! :D