The Surprising Truth About Mixed Breed Dogs

labadore

Not really surprising and known all along. It is great that there is something to start backing up what purebred owners and breeders have been saying. Is written simply as well which helps. Often I find that support and evidence is too detailed.

I think the questions are a bit weighted toward the products that mercola sell.

For those who are interested you can join the mailing list. The video blogs and info is really helpful and the subjects vary.

So 13 out of 24 disorders showed similar prevalence in mixed breeds and purebreds.

10 out of 24 disorders showed more prevalence in purebreds than mixed breeds.

1 out of 24 disorders was more prevalent in mixed breeds than purebreds.

I find her questionnaire highly dubious. I don't think a breeder who feeds raw and gives their dog anti-oxidants necessarily any better than one who doesn't.

And what's with "I provide my dog's with a detoxification protocol" and even more bizarrely "I provide filtered water for my dogs."

Due to this nonsense I would want to rad that scientific paper for myself rather than take her/his word for it.

Hey, I provide filtered water for my animals! Saying that our tap water is so shite my OH was vomiting for an entire evening and we lost 3 jills to it as well :( That's mains too

That's terrible Nekh :(

I'm just saying that under most western world conditions, there is now way I would judge the merit of a breeder on whether they give their dogs filtered water!

Edited by raineth

It all comes back to education.

I was conversing online with a BYB who thought that they were an excellent breeder producing "hybrid vigour" because "its well known that by crossing two breeds you will get the good points of both breeds and none of the bad" icon_smile_mad.gif He was advertising a litter, one pup to go at 1/3 price because it had a heart murmur (grade not stated). I congratulated him on transparency (didn't say that a reputable breeder would have run the pup to determine likelihood of early mortality, you pick your battles ok) and and I said that he surely wouldn't breed those parents together again - which led to his comments on hybrid vigour.

I asked did he think that there was a little genetic policeman at the chromosome separation saying 'good gene go ahead' and 'bad gene go back' and if so, was the policeman on a coffee break when the heart murmur gene got through? (jolly laugh emoticon) He said yes, of course there was a mechanism like that and called me naive for not knowing that. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

I begged him to please study any high school biology text to learn the truth, but no, he loved his pets too much to ever desex them ('how unnatural' he said) and no, they couldn't possibly have been the cause of the heart murmur... banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

I lose battles like this frequently, but soldier on in the hope that at least ONE person in the watching audience knows something. I am careful to be respectful, and always assume that the bad breeding practices are due more to ignorance than greed so try very hard to keep negative emotions out of the conversations. Then I go elsewhere and vent.

End vent. Please resume normal programming.bolt.gif

So 13 out of 24 disorders showed similar prevalence in mixed breeds and purebreds.

10 out of 24 disorders showed more prevalence in purebreds than mixed breeds.

1 out of 24 disorders was more prevalent in mixed breeds than purebreds.

I find her questionnaire highly dubious. I don't think a breeder who feeds raw and gives their dog anti-oxidants necessarily any better than one who doesn't.

And what's with "I provide my dog's with a detoxification protocol" and even more bizarrely "I provide filtered water for my dogs."

Due to this nonsense I would want to rad that scientific paper for myself rather than take her/his word for it.

raineth, I was reading a breeders website the other day and in the listing of 'are you ready to own this breed' one of the items listed was that you 'had to supply filtered water'

If you didn't do what was on this list then you weren't the right owner for this breed!!!

I have read the paper and didn't find the data made a very strong case for purebred dogs being healthier than mixed breed dogs. I think it showed that mixed breed dogs also can have problems, but purebred dogs still seemed to have more.

My dogs and cats don't drink unfiltered water either, the crap added to town water supplies is not good for man nor beast. Some Breeders feel very strongly about trying to ensure the best possible chance at a long healthy life for the animals they bring into the world. While it may seem over the top to some for those that attempt to keep their animals as chemical free as possible it is simply par for the course.

Wow really..who would have thunk it hey..

Our bodies are mostly water..but they certainly don't need the amounts of chlorine and fluoride found in most town water supplies.

You may not agree but who cares.

Well, my body doesn't need E. coli or typhoid due to bacteria in the water, either. I'll keep the chlorine, thanks. Fluoridation is more arguable in a rich country with fluoride toothpaste and a school dental program for children, but I'm happy to keep the fluoride as well.

My dogs and cats don't drink unfiltered water either, the crap added to town water supplies is not good for man nor beast. Some Breeders feel very strongly about trying to ensure the best possible chance at a long healthy life for the animals they bring into the world. While it may seem over the top to some for those that attempt to keep their animals as chemical free as possible it is simply par for the course.

However some cities have perfectly good tap water.