Advice Needed On Rottweiler And Little Dogs

Cartersmum

The problem with the block button is that it blocks ALL content from a particular member... however, some of the participants in the aforementioned stoushes actually usually post stuff that I find interesting and useful...

Such a conundrum... block and lose the chance at the majority of stuff posted that isn't breed bashing related... or use self control and don't pay any heed to the negative stuff that is actually quite sparingly posted...

Think I'll take the self control method... my mum would be so proud of me... *grin*

T.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm thick, but I couldn't see anything that dogmad said in this thread that's over the top or rude. She just said the same basic things others were saying... but a tad more strongly. I can't see any anti-big dog bias ... just acknowledgement of the greater strength when things go wrong.

And, after all, the OP had already said she acknowledges the problem.... & was wisely going to get advice. Which she did.... as I said.... this thread was DOL at its best, IMO.

Gee.... if anyone had an entrenched anti-bully breeds, anti-big dog breeds bias....I'd be going into a Donald Duck rage. :)

And I have no stomach for outright rudeness & nastiness. Didn't see any of that, either.

But, then, I'll admit, I could be thicker than I realize... :) Don't rush now to say, 'Yes!'.

Maybe I'm thick, but I couldn't see anything that dogmad said in this thread that's over the top or rude.

She didn't. Apparently if you say anything about a large dog doing something wrong you are a dog hater. You can complain about little dogs all you like though!

Maybe I'm thick, but I couldn't see anything that dogmad said in this thread that's over the top or rude.

She didn't. Apparently if you say anything about a large dog doing something wrong you are a dog hater. You can complain about little dogs all you like though!

Thank god, megan! I thought I was losing what few marbles I've got. Especially as the very sensible OP had already acknowledged the strength imbalance when anything goes wrong. That doesn't make anyone anti big dog....

There's such a difference when our tibbie stands on my toe.... & when our relatives' newfoundland does so.

That's all the thread was about.... & the OP already knew that.

Edited by mita

Thank god, megan! I thought I was losing what few marbles I've got. Especially as the very sensible OP had already acknowledged the strength imbalance when anything goes wrong. That doesn't make anyone anti big dog....

There's such a difference when our tibbie stands on my toe.... & when our relatives' newfoundland does so.

It is a long running squabble...... Mainly in the news section.

I agree Mita and Megan.

Dogmad actually went out of her way to advise and assist a friend of mine with a Rotti x that needed rehoming. Not the actions of someone who is anti breed in my opinion.

The block button is awesome :thumbsup:

Oh, yeah!! :)

triple yeah!

so you two obviously don't ignore me :D

How could anyone ignore you? Your dog is super cute.

There is a couple that prefer not to see me blathering on about 'stuff'

Jules, I'll have to read the News section more often. Thanks.

ADDED: Yonguro, I've also had dogs helped by dogmad over the many years I've been on DOL. Her advice is much valued by me. And size of dog has never been an issue when offering help.

Edited by mita

The block button is awesome :thumbsup:

Oh, yeah!! :)

triple yeah!

so you two obviously don't ignore me :D

How could anyone ignore you? Your dog is super cute.

There is a couple that prefer not to see me blathering on about 'stuff'

Well I get my staffy fix through you and Ziggy, so don't stop! :D

Dogmad is an incredibly lovely lady - I know because I've met her on a few occasions... and I would happily call her a "friend"... *grin*

That said, she does definitely have a "thing" about certain breed types - and even moreso if they are not under control (which I can actually understand).

T.

Dogmad is an incredibly lovely lady - I know because I've met her on a few occasions... and I would happily call her a "friend"... *grin*

That said, she does definitely have a "thing" about certain breed types - and even moreso if they are not under control (which I can actually understand).

T.

Yes, what's wrong with having a realistic concern about dogs with size, muscle & jaw strength being capable of causing great harm.... iwhen they're not bred, raised & managed appropriately?

I also hugely admire the Rottweiiler Club of Victoria ... especially how they bluntly set out, on their website, the need for socialization & good owner management of their (rightly) much loved breed. That doesn't make them anti-Rotti or anti-big dog. It makes them pro-dog in what it takes to make a good companion dog (whatever the size).

I can see where dogmad is coming from with regards to dogs of size and strength not being under any effective control - I agree fully with that part of her regular gripes on these forums.

What I don't agree with are some of the generalisations about certain breed types that can be a part of what dogmad posts here. Stating that she'd report the same things "if it were a Jack Russell" that attacked just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid... because we all know that the likelihood of the media reporting a "savage attack" by a small breed dog is pretty slim.

There are also my face to face conversations with dogmad on the topic of certain breeds that reinforces my opinion that she just really doesn't like ANY strange bull breed type dogs... I keep threatening to introduce her to my Zeddy to show her that not all bull breed mixes have a thing for her small dogs, but she hasn't taken me up on the offer... *grin*

T.

You don't have to like all breeds of dog though. I'd lie if I said that I loved all breeds and didn't have a bias toward some over others. From what I've seen of DM's posts here she hardly said anything degrading about larger breeds just pointed to a thread that reinforced the point that was being made about the importance of not taking the dog to the park until further advice had been sort. I for one love bull and large breeds but I understand that if I had had numerous not-so-good run-ins with bad examples of the breed/s I would probably not be so keen on them (no matter how much I tried to internally justify that it was the individual dog and not the breed in general). I understand where DM is coming from and it's human nature. What I don't understand is the fact that some people stalk her through threads waiting for her to mention anything other than a SWF or iggy so that they can come in and flame her for it. Live and let live. Not everyone is going to like what you like. It's a community which is made up of people from all walks of life and ALL have something to offer. If you don't like what someone says simply put them on ignore instead of attacking them for how they feel or what they believe.

That's all.

Dogs-For-Peace-T-Shirt-(8109).jpg

I can see where dogmad is coming from with regards to dogs of size and strength not being under any effective control - I agree fully with that part of her regular gripes on these forums.

What I don't agree with are some of the generalisations about certain breed types that can be a part of what dogmad posts here. Stating that she'd report the same things "if it were a Jack Russell" that attacked just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid... because we all know that the likelihood of the media reporting a "savage attack" by a small breed dog is pretty slim.

There are also my face to face conversations with dogmad on the topic of certain breeds that reinforces my opinion that she just really doesn't like ANY strange bull breed type dogs... I keep threatening to introduce her to my Zeddy to show her that not all bull breed mixes have a thing for her small dogs, but she hasn't taken me up on the offer... *grin*

T.

Wonder where my friend Juice is .... she can attest to the fact that I adore her Bull Terrier "Bon" and her previous Bull Terrier "Mason" in particular. I thought Bull Terriers were Bull Breeds - funny about that.

As Yonjuro said, only in the last fortnight I was trying to assist his friend's Rotti cross. As I have said numerous times before, I spend plenty of my spare time assisting dogs - of all sizes.

Still, I can talk till i'm blue in the face - and i'm probably blocked by the right people now who will just accuse me of lying if they saw this post - i'm happy if they are happy. :)