Is This Even Legal?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently they were raising money to pay for a prophylactic mastectomy and breast reconstruction for a lady with the really nasty breast cancer gene. It's a worthy cause since the surgery isn't government funded and usually costs anywhere up to $50,000 but having a first prize in a raffle of a puppy not surprisingly got a lot of people off side.

Unless their were threats privately there where no threats put on the FB page. If anyone threatened her they are scum.

I don't know why they didn't sell a puppy and donate the money from that puppy to her cause. Raffling a puppy is just disgraceful and scummy, dyeing dogs adn selling them is just scummy as well.

Edited by OSoSwift

What is with people and making threats? :confused: Seems some people's first resort to something they don't agree with is aggression. A bit sad really.

Glad they've changed the raffle prize but I agree with others here - if threats were made that's just lame.

I have a vague recollection of a magazine offering a pet as a prize and that was very quickly and firmly jumped on.

I remember that, too, DD. It was a magazine aimed at teenage girls. The front cover had a pic of a cute little Lab pup as a prize. I think the girls had to write a letter saying why they'd like it?

Then all hell broke loose. Much criticism from sections of the public. The final 'blow' was when the RSPCAs in several states came out condemning using pets as prizes & saying why.

The magazine then printed they were withdrawing the competition. And said, no worries about the puppy, because it hadn't been born yet. It'd been 'ordered' so it'd be of the right age by the time the competition was judged.

Edited by mita

Current RSPCA statement. This is what they said, too, in the situation DD talked about:

What does the RSPCA think about the use of live animals as prizes?

Article ID: 236

Last updated: 17 Mar, 2009

Sometimes live animals are given as prizes in raffles, competitions or other fundraising events. Examples include ponies or dogs in raffles, goldfish as fairground prizes, dogs in raffles etc. RSPCA Australia is opposed to the use of live animals as prizes as this creates a situation where a person is responsible for the care of an animal without any proper planning or consideration.

Acquiring a companion animal should be the result of careful planning and prior consideration. The prospective owner should have a clear understanding of the responsibilities involved and carefully consider whether they have, and will continue to have, the facilities, time, financial means and level of interest necessary to ensure a satisfactory standard of care for their animal prior to acquiring the animal.

If you know of a competition or fundraiser where live animals are being advertised as prizes, consider contacting the organisers to express your concern and ask them to provide an alternative prize.

As far I as know, no threats were actually made (the post was pulled because it got very critical of TL). In my opinion, Tasmanian Labradoodles started the whole thing in the hopes of not only making some money and getting some free publicity but also to create a sense of good-will. They also give away "therapy" dogs for the same reason. And it works- in one group I'm in, a woman said (I'm paraphrasing here) that we should all stop being so horriwbly mean to TL because they do so much good for the community by giving away the pups they can't sell.

I'm sure the owner is aware that the tide is turning against puppy farming (which he admits he does) so they're busy trying to portray themselves as some sort of cuddle factory where rainbows and sunshine and happy thoughts are made (rather than a filthy farm where bitches pump out puppies until they can breed no further and are then killed).

Current Regs do not say animals are a prohibited prize. Prohibited prizes are:

• tobacco products in any form

• firearms or ammunition

• prohibited weapons

• the provision of cosmetic surgery or other similar procedure the main purpose of which is to improve personal appearance, and

• liquor prizes more than 20 litres

Money over stated limits dependent on promotion type.

Can you offer children as prizes? I know lots of people who would love to give them away. :)

The Land used to give away foals and working dog pups in competitions. Don't know if they still do, haven't read it for yonks.

they still do. A working kelpie pup was a prize earlier this year. They do it every year I believe

To play devil's advocate, I think under the right circumstances, it can be appropriate. For example, if you have a herding/livestock competition, and one of the prizes is a working breed pup, all the entrants are going to be aware of the prize and it's not just some competition that any random Joe could win, as in any person that won would be obviously capable of looking after a working breed pup and aware of their requirements etc.

Just like I don't advocate giving live animals as gifts, unless the person is a) aware of it, b) actually wants one, c) it's not an impulse in any way.

That said, the raffle is a disgrace. I'm glad to hear it's been removed.

Its legal to raffle an animal happens all the time in the bush - There have been horses and cattle and sheep, working dogs are often auctioned too. Its against state CC regs not illegal.

Not sure what the law is these days but years ago it was illegal to give an animal away as a raffle prize.

Greg

Yes, I was of the opinion that that was the case too.

I have a vague recollection of a magazine offering a pet as a prize and that was very quickly and firmly jumped on.

I believed this as well?

I'm pretty sure I also read/heard it was illegal.

Its legal to raffle an animal happens all the time in the bush - There have been horses and cattle and sheep, working dogs are often auctioned too. Its against state CC regs not illegal.

Oh - sorry, didn't see Steve's post.

Auction would be a bit different to raffle, wouldn't it?

Not sure what the law is these days but years ago it was illegal to give an animal away as a raffle prize.

Greg

Yes, I was of the opinion that that was the case too.

I believed this as well?

I'm pretty sure I also read/heard it was illegal.

It's not.