Kelpie Causes Facial Injuries To A Child

persephone

link

excerpt:

A CHAMPION Kelpie should be destroyed after it allegedly attacked a six-year-old girl, according to her father.

Mack - a lauded working dog that has won numerous events at the Casterton Kelpie Festival - is believed to have left the schoolgirl with severe facial wounds requiring hundreds of stitches, micro and plastic surgery and the need for ongoing dental work.

Victoria Police confirmed the incident happened on June 22 on private property at Balliang East, near Bacchus Marsh.

1375361467[/url]' post='6267634']

I think it only matters from a perspective of learning what went wrong and what might be done better next time. Other than that sadly I'd be making that exact same decision in the circumstances.

Supervision or separation might be done better. There were no witnesses. The child was alone and knew the dog.

1375361467[/url]' post='6267634']

I think it only matters from a perspective of learning what went wrong and what might be done better next time. Other than that sadly I'd be making that exact same decision in the circumstances.

Supervision or separation might be done better. There were no witnesses. The child was alone and knew the dog.

Should not have happened.

Dogs and children (6 year old) should never be left unsupervised.

Stupid adults. :mad

Hmm. But why did the dog attack?

Does it matter? Those sound like very serious injuries :(

Maybe not to you but I'd like to know why it happened.

I agree, it is useful to know. But in this case, we're unlikely to find out. The only human witness is 6 years old with severe facial injuries.

And sadly, the bites from a fearful dog, a resource guarder, a dominant dog and a dog in pain can inflict the same wounds. Knowing why won't help anyone in this case. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

If my dog ever did that, regardless of what the child did I would euthanise and this is coming form someone who loves working kelpies with a passion.

Agree'd 100%!

Regardless of what the child did ..if the kid needed hundreds of stitches then..."this was a mauling"... it wasnt just a quick snap to say stop standing on my Paw !!

If my dog ever did that, regardless of what the child did I would euthanise and this is coming form someone who loves working kelpies with a passion.

Agree'd 100%!

Regardless of what the child did ..if the kid needed hundreds of stitches then..."this was a mauling"... it wasnt just a quick snap to say stop standing on my Paw !!

Kids can be pretty awful. I've often retold a story that a vet told me. Family comes in to pts the family Labrador cause it bit a kid. After the green dream is administered, they find several staples through the poor dog's ear.

PTS may be appropriate, but it would be good to hear the full story before forming an opinion.

Why is that........the kid may have done something stupid......years ago I sadly saw a dog bite a kid in the face after the kid blew in the dogs face 3 times amused by the dog growling and turning away.....as the kid's mother was just about to chastise him for teasing the dog, he did it the 4th time and the dog snapped causing quite a sever nose and upper lip injury. There was another one commonly mentioned where the dog was PTS for biting a kid and when the dead dog was rolled over, he had a coloured pencil shoved into his ear canal......obviously supervision is paramount with kids and dogs, but kids can do some stupid stuff with dogs and get bitten as a result......not always a case of a dog needing to nail a child without provocation.

Why is that........the kid may have done something stupid......years ago I sadly saw a dog bite a kid in the face after the kid blew in the dogs face 3 times amused by the dog growling and turning away.....as the kid's mother was just about to chastise him for teasing the dog, he did it the 4th time and the dog snapped causing quite a sever nose and upper lip injury. There was another one commonly mentioned where the dog was PTS for biting a kid and when the dead dog was rolled over, he had a coloured pencil shoved into his ear canal......obviously supervision is paramount with kids and dogs, but kids can do some stupid stuff with dogs and get bitten as a result......not always a case of a dog needing to nail a child without provocation.

... and that is why we must ALWAYS supervise any interaction between children and dogs...

T.

I had my face very badly bitten when I was a child and my injuries required all of the above except dental work, dog and I lived to be mates another day, and I never repeated the act of disobedience that lead to the bites. I too would like to know what the back story is to these attacks, and I have never been one to simply expect a dog to take anything dished out to it without retaliation. Not a popular stand but there it is. Dogs ay with their lives simply for being dogs at times.

Working in the Vet industry I saw many dogs killed due to their owners stupidity and lack of respect. Some families will be repeat offenders because they kill the dog and do not fix the issue that is in their home. Not saying it is the case in this story by any means, but it happens time and time again.

Agree'd 100%!

Kids can be pretty awful. I've often retold a story that a vet told me. Family comes in to pts the family Labrador cause it bit a kid. After the green dream is administered, they find several staples through the poor dog's ear.

PTS may be appropriate, but it would be good to hear the full story before forming an opinion.

I will never say 'regardless of what the kid did'. Kids can do pretty awful things to a dog if left unsupervised. And I'm not one to punish my dog regardless of who is at fault. However, I also would not expect a dog with a solid temperament to cause multiple bites. A single warning bite if really provoked....that I can understand.