German Shepherd Movement

Hi,

Please don't get me wrong - I love German Shepherds - but I've been very discouraged lately because the ones I've seen just don't seem to have athletic, straight-looking movement?? Their hocks kinda wobble side to side as they walk, they kinda look like they'd just topple over if you pushed them!? I'm really worried, because I just haven't seen a nicely moving one? embarrass.gif

Is it a sign of hip displaysia or bad breeding or both or what? frown.gif

Does anyone have any videos of desirable movement a GS should have?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm ok :( that's a bit sad then!

Mixeduppup that's interesting about your friends - I was all into them, now I'm quite put off!

So sad!! Are imports better? Say from Germany? (I saw a few nice ones in Videos from Germany on Youtube...) I'm more curious than out to get one, it's just been bugging me for a couple of weeks embarrass.gif

The official standard for GSD quality comes out of Germany, where they have selected heavily for the 'flying trot', and accept the sloping back that goes with it. Loose hocks are not supposed to be part of the picture, but they often seem to be introduced when breeding to meet the show standard.

See, eg., the example video clip at http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/product/V-GSD-5/The-German-Shepherd-Dog-the-German-Way-Set

Fortunately, there are many GSD breeders who aim for a squarer, more normal-looking dog. They just aren't winning in the show ring.

I wonder what the purpose of the flying trot is. I would imagine if a shepherd dog was guarding sheep, and a predator came to attack the sheep the fastest way for the shepherd to chase them off would be to run/gallop after them. :confused:

I wonder what the purpose of the flying trot is. I would imagine if a shepherd dog was guarding sheep, and a predator came to attack the sheep the fastest way for the shepherd to chase them off would be to run/gallop after them. :confused:

Here's the rationale (which I don't believe, but the GSD people take seriously).

"The gait, which describes movement, is called the flying trot. The German shepherd is supposed to have a far front reach as well as great rear end extension. This produces a dog that glides across the ground, covering a large area in few moves, which is the right movement for a dog keeping a flock of sheep together. In fact, the whole visual picture illustrates the qualities necessary to do their intended work. Large, strong and fast might simply state the breed's physical attributes." from www.stevediller.com/articles/german_shepherd.pdf‎

Seems to me that kelpies do a great job of keeping a flock of sheep together without resorting to a strange gait that seems to be gliding.

Here's the rationale (which I don't believe, but the GSD people take seriously).

"The gait, which describes movement, is called the flying trot. The German shepherd is supposed to have a far front reach as well as great rear end extension. This produces a dog that glides across the ground, covering a large area in few moves, which is the right movement for a dog keeping a flock of sheep together. In fact, the whole visual picture illustrates the qualities necessary to do their intended work. Large, strong and fast might simply state the breed's physical attributes." from www.stevediller.com/articles/german_shepherd.pdf‎

Seems to me that kelpies do a great job of keeping a flock of sheep together without resorting to a strange gait that seems to be gliding.

I dont think I've ever seen or even heard of a German Shepherd herding sheep in Australia. I wonder if they use them in Germany. Australia being such a big sheep country, you'd think they'd be used wouldn't you.

I dont think I've ever seen or even heard of a German Shepherd herding sheep in Australia. I wonder if they use them in Germany. Australia being such a big sheep country, you'd think they'd be used wouldn't you.

I know of a German shepherd that herds their owners hobby farm animals. Tell her to go get the cows, 5 minutes later cows are at the back door biggrin.gif

GSD herding is different to Kelpie or BC herding - GSDs are more of a living fence. It is a different style.

There are differences in types in GSDs - notably the working line/show line differences but within those as well.

Working line GSDs are not necessarily not suitable as family pets. I have met many who are successfully family pets and as laid back as any dog. Even more so than many dogs. My Von Forell GSD dog wasn't hyped at all, in fact they are not meant to be unless asked to go into prey drive. I did man work with my boy and he was calm before the bite and calm afterwards. As a family pet who helped raise my daughter from birth to 5years old (daughter not dog) he never put a foot wrong. But go to good breeders and ask for what you need. They come in very different temperaments and working line guys tend to know their dogs and match them to suit the purpose. Its the bogans breeding with the biggest and most aggressive that you need to stay clear of.

People I know wanted to get a GSD a few years back but were put off by the gait and went with a Belgian shepherd instead. Similar temp but seems to a have a marked difference in movement.

I actually don't find their temps to be all that similar, there can be some big differences. But you see Malinois being used by the military, police etc more and more now over GSDs.

There are still some great GSDs out there but as others have said, working line GSDs aren't suitable for everyone (not that any breed is).

Edited by huski