Long Hair Labrador

Staffyluv

Mum prob has some Golden in her. One of my biggest pet peeve is when someone calls my Golden a lab. I was at the vets today with my Golden boy and the vet called him a lab. Of course I corrected him and then he said Goldens are just labs with long hair :mad

What hope is there when the vets can't even be bothered to get it right?

Pretty sure it would have been said with a bit of humor since he made a goose of himself. No different that people saying Rotties are just fat Dobes :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend just got one of these special dogs. I was slightly suspicious when I saw the photos and it had a goldy type coat and white face and chest markings. I am very polite though and didn't say anything.

Said friend then told another friend that they got the puppy from a pet shop but not to tell me as I would go around to their house and stab them. :rofl:

Quite funny really.

Stab them! :laugh: that's classic

Coat in the picture looked more more Flat Coat than CC to me. CCR have very tight curls like little ringlets.

But the head in the picture of the dam seemed more Labrador like than Flat Coat Retriever, so she may be one of the recessive long coated Labradors, or more likely a lab/flat coat cross or a lab/golden cross.

The Labrador was developed originally from the same stock as the Newfoundland, they went in different directions and the long coat was eschewed by the Labrador developers but it is still a recessive in the breed worldwide. I doubt very much whether those genetics are actually available in Australia though.

Occams Razor says it is more likely that the dam is not a purebred Labrador.

Thanks guys.. I feel sorry for the people buying these pups are purebred labs but if they want to pay $100 deposit for a dog of dubious heritage, who am I to say anything.

I would like to but without sufficient lab knowledge behind me and the fact that I can't be bothered to argue with silly people prepared to part with their money.

Yes long coat Labs do exist & even the best of breeders can produce them obviously not desirable but they certainly do exist

Hair Length (DNA marker tested – FGF5) Long-haired coat length is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. Therefore, dogs that are carriers of the long-hair mutation will appear to be normal (short hair) themselves, but will likely pass on the long-hair allele 50% of the time. Breeds we are currently able to test include:

Labrador Retrievers

Edited by showdog

Yes long coat Labs do exist & even the best of breeders can produce them obviously not desireable but they certainly do exist

is this a recent thing ? I worked amongst labs for almost 20 yrs at one stage ..and while I saw some with a thicker coat/and some ruff/ waves down the spine ..there were never any with hair actually longer/curly .

Interesting :)

Yes long coat Labs do exist & even the best of breeders can produce them obviously not desireable but they certainly do exist

is this a recent thing ? I worked amongst labs for almost 20 yrs at one stage ..and while I saw some with a thicker coat/and some ruff/ waves down the spine ..there were never any with hair actually longer/curly .

Interesting :)

I agree.. I had no idea they came in long coats.

Coat in the picture looked more more Flat Coat than CC to me. CCR have very tight curls like little ringlets.

But the head in the picture of the dam seemed more Labrador like than Flat Coat Retriever, so she may be one of the recessive long coated Labradors, or more likely a lab/flat coat cross or a lab/golden cross.

The Labrador was developed originally from the same stock as the Newfoundland, they went in different directions and the long coat was eschewed by the Labrador developers but it is still a recessive in the breed worldwide. I doubt very much whether those genetics are actually available in Australia though.

Occams Razor says it is more likely that the dam is not a purebred Labrador.

That was my thought too, the head also looks similar to a FC's.

People are gullible when it comes to buying dogs as they often don't know or wonder if certain claims are true. A cute puppy picture melts the heart & the brain :)

The person may genuinely believe the dog is long haired & this is the usual.

A recent ad I saw was for small cross breeds & the breeder stated in the ad that they were a registered breeder with the NSW Canine Association.

They may well be but not for the pups being sold for sure but someone looking for a puppy may not know that & be impressed & reassured :eek:

Like most people I always thought that Labs were a short coated breed & that is what I would expect when buying one.

I found a link with some info and photos of genuine long haired Labs.

http://retrieverman....e-in-long-hair/

Excellent article.

Don't just look at the pictures, read the text!!! There's an excellent discussion of the history of the retriever breeds with respect to coat type.

I did read it. :) Very interesting.

That was very interesting. Thank you for putting that up.

I still think (given the expense of importing dogs into Australia) that the odds of a breeder importing a dog unaware of its pedigree and propensity to produce dogs not to standard would be very slim.

As said before, occams razor says the bitch is a crossbred and given that curly coats and flat coats are not as common as goldens the bitch is most likely to have golden in her.

I once saw a couple with what I thought was a yellow lab and a small black flatcoat, turns out both dogs were littermates and lab x goldens.

People are gullible when it comes to buying dogs as they often don't know or wonder if certain claims are true. A cute puppy picture melts the heart & the brain :)

A recent ad I saw was for small cross breeds & the breeder stated in the ad that they were a registered breeder with the NSW Canine Association.

They may well be but not for the pups being sold for sure but someone looking for a puppy may not know that & be impressed & reassured :eek:

Like most people I always thought that Labs were a short coated breed & that is what I would expect when buying one.

Aren't all ANKC breeders constrained not to deliberately produce crossbreeds? Should a copy of that advert have been sent to DogsNSW?

Here is the DogsNSW Code of Ethics - Section 5 covers the forbidding of crossbreeding (except for the exceptions LOL)

Sorry, a tad OT.embarrass.gif

1376823506[/url]' post='6279725']
1376789994[/url]' post='6279363']
1376744600[/url]' post='6279243']
1376739601[/url]' post='6279200']

I found a link with some info and photos of genuine long haired Labs.

http://retrieverman....e-in-long-hair/

Excellent article.

Don't just look at the pictures, read the text!!! There's an excellent discussion of the history of the retriever breeds with respect to coat type.

I did read it. :) Very interesting.

That was very interesting. Thank you for putting that up.

I still think (given the expense of importing dogs into Australia) that the odds of a breeder importing a dog unaware of its pedigree and propensity to produce dogs not to standard would be very slim.

As said before, occams razor says the bitch is a crossbred and given that curly coats and flat coats are not as common as goldens the bitch is most likely to have golden in her.

I once saw a couple with what I thought was a yellow lab and a small black flatcoat, turns out both dogs were littermates and lab x goldens.

It happens. A well known, and well respected Lab breeder in Australia has produced brindle-looking pups. The K locus gene for solid color is dominant. About 5% of Labs carry the recessive allele, ie, they are Kk rather than KK. Unless you happen to breed two Labs carrying the recessive, you wouldnt know it was there. The genetic test for this is pretty new, and there are presumably a few hundred Labs, perhaps even a few thousand, carrying the 'non-solid' color gene. I don't think the genetics of long coat in Labs is precisely known. But if the condition is rarer than Kk, it's not going to show up often.

This is not to say there aren't shonky breeders who would pass off a Goldie x Lab as a purebred.

Aren't all ANKC breeders constrained not to deliberately produce crossbreeds? Should a copy of that advert have been sent to DogsNSW?

Here is the DogsNSW Code of Ethics - Section 5 covers the forbidding of crossbreeding (except for the exceptions LOL)

Sorry, a tad OT.embarrass.gif

They can't use their purebred/registered dogs for crossbreeeding, but are free to cross any other dog they like, with whatever they want.