Survey - Do We Judge A Book By Its (canine) Cover?

tjhowell

Hello again everyone,

Many of you have helped me out in the past when we've been running dog-related surveys, and your information have been really helpful to us.

It's that time again! This time the survey is very short (less than 10 minutes most likely) and it should be fun. We will be asking you to look at a photo of a dog and rate that dog's personality and appearance based solely on the photo. This will help us understand whether people who don't know a dog rate their personality, based only on appearance, the same as their owner who knows them well.

It proceeds entirely online, and we'd really appreciate it if you'd help us out :) Here's the link: http://latrobepsy.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0368coFCdKE7uEB

Please feel free to share it with friends and family who you think might be interested. Also, we're not just looking for dog owners and lovers, but also people don't own or don't even like dogs. Our only requirements are that participants be 18 or over and fluent in English.

Thanks very much :)

Cheers,

Tiffani

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much.

I know what you mean and in a way I agree with you. But in fact people do make judgement calls all the time based solely on appearance, especially when it comes to dogs. This may be less so in the case of people on this forum who are very interested in lots of different types of dogs, but in general I think it probably happens a lot. We're just trying to figure out a way to quantify that :)

sorry I started to do it but bailed out when I really couldn't relate to the questions about the white fluffy dog. I think if there was an I dont know button that's the one I would have pushed most.

Edited by Kirislin

Couldn't get past the first few pages as I have many dogs

Ah, sorry, if you have more than one dog, please pick the dog with the name closest to the letter 'A' when completing the information about your own dog.

I started but I had to stop and didn't finish it sorry. I did give it a go to see what it was like, descriptions such as fluffy, hairy, small, cute etc aren't a problem but I cannot label a dog aggressive or not aggressive from a picture.

I have a huge problem with people judging purely on appearance, even going with 'breed traits' grinds against me somewhat, depending on the circumstance.

I know what you are trying to get at but just because people make these judgements all the time doesn't make it right and I don't think it should be encouraged.

If you added a 'not sure' option to the answers I would be happy to complete it. Then I can describe physical appearance but don't have to make a complete uneducated guess about 'personality'.

ETA - A Rotti came up for me.

Edited by Gertrude139

I find this survey very strange. How can anyone comment on a dogs personality by looking at a single photo?

Most people would buy a dog based on looks

And I find that strange too!

You've never heard someone say "it was so cute I just had to buy it, it looked so sad in the shop?"