Survey - Do We Judge A Book By Its (canine) Cover?

tjhowell

I got a really plain and I have to say somewhat unattractive doggy :( ......and not one of the above mentioned!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I spoke to someone the other day who thought Chinese Cresteds were the most hideous dogs he'd ever seen. I don't agree with that and I doubt you would.

I bet the owner of the dog you saw would consider their dog to be beautiful.

Absolutely. It is very subjective! It kind of points to my thinking about the results of surveys like this.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a very distinctive looking Dane cross.

Like this by any chance?

post-23772-0-58011000-1376819111_thumb.jpg

I hope you said she looked intelligent... and friendly... and deadly cute... lol!

T.

Certainly was T! And I certainly found her friendly, deadly cute, and intelligent! She's such a pretty girl! Are her eyes still slightly different colours?

Hehe! Yep - her eyes are still slightly different shades...

... and she's more often being cheeky or goofy than not... but I still love her to death.

I completed it and got an older looking Weimaraner? Maybe? I'm not too good at dog breeds :laugh:

It was a sweet looking dog though so I guess I just answered based around that.

I got the same dog as you... didn't look overly impressed at being photographed... lol!

T.

I completed it and got an older looking Weimaraner? Maybe? I'm not too good at dog breeds :laugh:

I got the same dog as you... didn't look overly impressed at being photographed... lol!

T.

Hahah it didn't look too happy, no :p

I didn't mind this survey actually, I found it interesting what emotions I thought I could see in a picture without knowing the dog.

T.

I didn't mind this survey actually, I found it interesting what emotions I thought I could see in a picture without knowing the dog.

Did it look like this:

307607_546610265366453_1918211976_n.jpg

Or like this?

941789_645512315476247_52514677_n.jpg

T.

Did it look like this:

307607_546610265366453_1918211976_n.jpg

Or like this?

941789_645512315476247_52514677_n.jpg

Nope - looked to be a bit older than your gorgeous baby...

T.

I found it very interesting and very relevant as what we percieve and what 'is' can sometimes be very different things. I think the collated results of this study would be very interesting to see an overall impression of how people can percieve based on a photograph alone - whether that is influenced by breed or the 'pose' of the dog etc.

This study just looks at the pictures alone, but also how those pictures are manipulated can change perception too. I think a lot of people could find a photo of their dog somewhere, that if paired with the right music and subtitling could manipulate perception to make the dog appear 'abused' or 'agressive' when it may simply be giving a sad sulky look in that second or going madly after a toy in play. Pair it with different editing and a whole different perception may be given.

FWIW

I would always take that into account before what the pet actually looked like. I find it strange that some people give no consideration to it at all.

Sorry, that makes me smile ... that you have such a high opinion of joe/josephine public .

So many first time puppy buyers buy a mixed breed, and would have little knowledge of what they may need to provide .

pedigree dogs are also often purchased before research is done , and often, too because uncle or stepmum had so & so a breed & they looked wonderful ..

If looks were not almost a priority in selling dogs - we would maybe have lots of medium coat, beige dogs , who all looked a similar shape , but with differing temperaments ..(a HUGE quantum leap , and facetious , sorry ... :D )

Looks are so important , as they also are the first thing which produce that warm fuzzy feeling Dogs/puppies with a shorter muzzle , pudgy legs ,.eyes innocent and 'pleading' & a bit 'buggy' .. & that baby pup fuzz...they are the ones who get the maternal feelings going , to bash down sensible reasoning ;)

Can you blame people ?,.I don't .It is not THE responsible way to go about buying a pet ...but it is probably the most common.

Well said. My first BC was bought for exactly those reasons - looked like the dog we had as a kid, not from a reputable place. Not quite spur of the moment, but not far off it.

Since then I have had two more (this time pedigree) dogs come to live with me. Both from very good breeders. Neither are the temperament I want. (Far too calm..... :rofl: )

I think the more people know the more they are able to make informed decisions - I can't blame anyone for doing things the way their family did when they were a kid.

I liked the survey - would be interesting to see what sort of responses it comes up with. Rationally I know the dog in the pic is most likely not like my responses, but they reflect the way it made me feel about it. :thumbsup:

I got a dog that looked like he had a sore eye, and it made him look a bit tough and mean and dumb, and I felt guilty for thinking that because the poor guy probably just the sun in his eye when the photo was taken :laugh:

Started and gave up when it asked if I thought the dog looked skinny - from a head shot!

In fact the majority of questions asked need more than a head shot to answer.

Personally it is one of the worst designed psychology surveys I have seen. Most people with a reasonable amount of dog experience would want to answer "too hard to tell from the information at hand" to most of the questions :rofl:

Whose was the border collie type with not-quite-behaving ears? ..and an inscrutable expression? :p

Could be my Aussie! Her ears were silly in the photo :laugh:

as she black/white - no tan eyebrows or other facial colours ...?

Nope, must be another one! :laugh:

I put cattle dog mix in the breed of my dog, and I got a photo of a cattle dog.

So my results are going to be completely biased.

It was a bit hard because he? had one eye more open than the other one like he'd been photographed mid wink.

And he looked vaguely uncomfortable at having his photo taken, and very "where's my treat" hungry.

Maybe I'm just putting my dog's face on his.

And friendly? non aggressive? With cattle dogs - that's context specific. Do you rate for "friendly with strangers" or "friendly with friends"?

Mine has just picked my pockets and eaten all the Kleenex that were there. Hungry much?