I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

[

Like I said - so far so good... I don't doubt with the level of irresponsible owners that I may encounter a dog that doesn't stop. I must admit, I am like a hawk when out with the dogs, watching all the time - but I am in an area that I am comfortable and know very well.

I also have a 27kg bull breed (a big woosy one that rolls over or runs away every time he has been confronted) that is happy to stand behind me if a dog is charging (old Ollie dog was the same)..

Staffy, I'm only speculating, but 'victim factors' are involved in dogs' attacking (among other things). In my cases, the dogs were going full bore at my dogs. Not at me. Both our shelties & our tibbies were/are fluffy dogs. I read somewhere that the dogs with fluffy coats can be mistaken by other dogs, for having their hackles up in aggression. So I wonder if that's involved in why the attacking dogs waded right in. Does anyone know if there's any reliable information if dogs pick up certain cues about other dogs... which make them behave in a certain way?

Not that we can test it :) but it'd be interesting if we could replay my situations.... but this time, I've got your big bull breed with me. Would the attacking dogs have then behaved differently????

Edited by mita

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several times since we have been attacked by single dogs, twice so dramatically passing motorists stopped to get help us get free. Some days I personally don’t have the intestinal fortitude to risk it, and we drive somewhere else to walk or don’t go at all. It is almost a post-traumatic stress, not easy to overcome. I reported all the major incidents, but the only time the authorities showed any interest was when I knew the address of the attacking dog as it had come bursting out of the front door to run across the road and have a go - the other times they basically said nothing they could do.

Diva, I'm amazed how much your experiences are similar to mine. And also how it's affected you ... & how little the authorities can do about most of them.

I have had some awful experiences with my dogs in public. The latest was only last week when I was walking my two dogs, a woman was heading towards us on a narrow walkway with her Anatolian Shepherd running off leash in front of her, I sat my dogs and stood in front of them and called to the woman to place her dog on the leash, she ignored me and the dog started to run at us, I yelled that one of my dogs was reactive and for her to put her dog on the leash, eventually she caught the dog and hit it[

I was looking for some research about dog aggression, because of this thread. One study I found, concluded that people hitting their dogs was one of the factors that actually makes the dog aggressive.

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homePage/Group/AnimPersInst/Animal%20Personality%20PDFs/H/Hsu%20&%20Sun%202010.pdf

The human was the one doing the wrong thing.... by allowing her dog to be off-leash in a public area. So she hits the dog???

There seems to be far more nuf nufs around than ever before. I limit where mine go, a decent size dog could kill my shih tzu pretty quickly and if in quiet prey drive be on him before I could intervene. These nuf nufs have no idea about their own dog's behaviour and zero respect for others and their numbers are increasing! What I really want is an umbrella shaped cattle prod :laugh:

Several times since we have been attacked by single dogs, twice so dramatically passing motorists stopped to get help us get free. Some days I personally don’t have the intestinal fortitude to risk it, and we drive somewhere else to walk or don’t go at all. It is almost a post-traumatic stress, not easy to overcome. I reported all the major incidents, but the only time the authorities showed any interest was when I knew the address of the attacking dog as it had come bursting out of the front door to run across the road and have a go - the other times they basically said nothing they could do.

Diva, I'm amazed how much your experiences are similar to mine. And also how it's affected you ... & how little the authorities can do about most of them.

Mita and Diva, my experiences have been very similar to both of yours as well - and they've had a similar effect on me. The worst one was about 3 years ago, when two large Staffy/Mastiff Xs came hurtling out of a front yard, ran across one road and then out into the middle of an intersection to attack us. I am also on high alert at all times when walking my girl, but I had no warning and no chance whatsoever of anticipating or blocking the attack as these dogs came at us from behind at full speed. I heard the sound of running feet and turned just in time to see them coming at us, then one of them launched himself into the air and straight at my dog, grabbing her in the middle of the spine. Thankfully I was able to swing her around and away at that instant and he lost his grip (she's a medium-sized dog with - thankfully - a very thick coat). The second he hit the ground, he came at her again, with the other one circling and trying to attack as well. It was without a doubt the most terrifying experience I have ever had when walking my dog - I had nothing to defend us with, these dogs were lunging and snarling, I'm trying to block them, kicking out and screaming and trying to drive them off, hoping that SOMEONE would hear me and come to help - this was 11am on a Saturday in a suburban street, plenty of people at home but no one came to our assistance. I knew that if either of us fell or were knocked down that it would be game over - and when I constantly blocked their attempts to attack my dog, they came at me. Thank God a car came along the road and, using it as a barrier, I was able to drag my girl across to the other side of the road and up someone's driveway. I found out later these dogs had been left unsupervised in the front yard (two-foot high picket fence and no gates on the driveway) and so were free to do whatever they pleased - which obviously included a completely unprovoked attack on me and my elderly dog. I reported the incident to the ranger - or rather, the OH did as I was in too distressed a state to do anything by the time we got home. I had to go around and identify the dogs, as the owner denied they had been out in the street, and they were fined. They've since moved, so the dogs are probably terrorising some other neighbourhood now. Thankfully the physical damage was minor, but the mental scars run very deep and are still with us both.

I was never particularly worried by charging dogs in the past either - I'd had several GSDs and was confident in my knowledge and handling of large dogs that I could prevent or drive off attacks - until that happened. Since then, we have been attacked several times and are constantly harassed/rushed/menaced by dogs off the lead - and there seems to be more and more people who not only walk their dogs off lead but don't even bother to carry a lead with them, and most I meet have little or not control over their dogs. Just about everywhere in our suburb is a "danger zone" - parks, local streets, you name it, we are constantly having to change direction, cross the road or even cut short planned walks because of these dogs and their idiot owners. Even going further afield doesn't seem to help, the problem seems to be everywhere.

Walking my dog is no longer an enjoyable experience - and the stress and worry has taken it's toll. It's now reached the stage where, when our old girl goes, we will not be getting another dog. There's simply no point putting myself and my dog through all that stress and the constant risk of being attacked - it's bad enough the effect these attacks have on an older dog, I can't imagine what it must do to a puppy.

I have had some awful experiences with my dogs in public. The latest was only last week when I was walking my two dogs, a woman was heading towards us on a narrow walkway with her Anatolian Shepherd running off leash in front of her, I sat my dogs and stood in front of them and called to the woman to place her dog on the leash, she ignored me and the dog started to run at us, I yelled that one of my dogs was reactive and for her to put her dog on the leash, eventually she caught the dog and hit it[

I was looking for some research about dog aggression, because of this thread. One study I found, concluded that people hitting their dogs was one of the factors that actually makes the dog aggressive.

http://homepage.psy....0Sun%202010.pdf

The human was the one doing the wrong thing.... by allowing her dog to be off-leash in a public area. So she hits the dog???

Mita, thank you for the link, I have had a quick look through and will print it off at work tomorrowsmile.gif Interesting that one of the two studies is Taiwanese, I didn't think of Taiwan as being interested in dog behaviour for some reason but I am wrong obviously.

I was horrified when she hit the dog, punishing the dog for coming to her made no sense to me either.

[

Like I said - so far so good... I don't doubt with the level of irresponsible owners that I may encounter a dog that doesn't stop. I must admit, I am like a hawk when out with the dogs, watching all the time - but I am in an area that I am comfortable and know very well.

I also have a 27kg bull breed (a big woosy one that rolls over or runs away every time he has been confronted) that is happy to stand behind me if a dog is charging (old Ollie dog was the same)..

Staffy, I'm only speculating, but 'victim factors' are involved in dogs' attacking (among other things). In my cases, the dogs were going full bore at my dogs. Not at me. Both our shelties & our tibbies were/are fluffy dogs. I read somewhere that the dogs with fluffy coats can be mistaken by other dogs, for having their hackles up in aggression. So I wonder if that's involved in why the attacking dogs waded right in. Does anyone know if there's any reliable information if dogs pick up certain cues about other dogs... which make them behave in a certain way?

Not that we can test it :) but it'd be interesting if we could replay my situations.... but this time, I've got your big bull breed with me. Would the attacking dogs have then behaved differently????

I don't know if there is any reliable info on it but I think certain breeds create a reaction in some others because of the way they look or are standing (the very upright and forward looking dogs like boxers/sibes/staffs)..

We have the sweetest boxer boy at training and he gets a reaction from so many dogs when he is near them.

Zig has always been fine but when he approaches any dog, he nearly always ends up on his tummy or in a play bow before he gets to them.. He comes in all friendly and goofy and if they have a snipe, he rolls or flies around behind me.

Zig was pinned at training last week. I didn't see the GSD off lead or I would never have let him off with the dogs that were having a run.

A few of the dogs were having a play and when the dog had finished bailing up and pinning a lovely little Viz pup, she came after Zig - he took off and couldn't get back to me before she caught him by the scruff of his neck skin and pinned him to the ground.

I think I was on her in just a few seconds, pulled her off by the scruff of her neck and her rump and managed to grab Zig before he took off on me.

I kicked out at her when she came back for him again and by then a couple of others were there and they grabbed her for her owner.

Her owner was mortified, leashed her and left.

Zig was fine, the Viz pup was fine and they had a play (as they do after training every week).. There is a small group of us and all the dogs get along really well. This other dog was let off with ours once before and the same thing happened - she usually only picks on other females though.. But this time she went after Zig..

As scary as it was and silly - but I didn't think twice about grabbing her and pulling her off him.

It is almost a post-traumatic stress, not easy to overcome.

This is so true. As I said earlier, I think my fears are compounded by the fact that the attacks on my dogs were by dogs that were leashed but got away from their owners. The intensity of each attack would have killed the IGs if it had been them and not my bigger dogs. I haven't seen too many roaming dogs around here but even dogs being walked on leash frighten me. :(

I'm starting to think that a partial cause for all of the nuf nuf behaviour when dogs are out is the fact that they are becoming increasingly unwelcome in a lot of places - being relegated to certain "dog" areas like dog parks... which are fairly few and far between in a lot of areas, so can get very crowded at "popular" times.

A lot of people just don't bother trying to find dog friendly areas to take their dogs with them on outings because they are so scarce nowadays. And so, many dogs become extremely excited when they finally do get to go out anywhere - because they don't get out as often as they should... and people don't take them out as often as they should because of all the restrictions, and the cycle continues...

T.

Yes I am over offlead dogs and I am afraid to walk mine as they are muzzled by law. I don't have a problem with my greyhounds being muzzled as such but I do have a problem with people that think it's ok to have their dogs rush at mine and then cop the usual "no wonder those dogs have to wear a muzzle". There was a greyhound killed here on the Coast a few weeks ago on his daily walk, the offending dog ripped into his ears and then his throat and he died on the road in front of his devastated owner. This dog has not been caught and whilst it's not in my suburb I still shit myself everytime I take them out. Stan is recovering from a fractured skull and the last thing I need is some dickhead telling me it's ok cause his dog is friendly!

Oh poor Stan, Big hug to him.

I get rushed a lot but luckily so far only by little dogs, I thought it was just because of how Jake looks that we attract nasty attention. There is such a need for dog training and owner education so those creating the problem understand how their actions are affecting others.

I read about that Stan's Mum - the Grey was muzzled so had no chance of defending itself. :(

Didn't have a chance anyway Kirty, RIP Stan (not mine). It was horrendous, it was only for someone smashing the offending dog with a fire extinguisher to make it run off but by that time it was too late. Thanks Hankdog, my Stan is recovering ok :/

Yes I am over offlead dogs and I am afraid to walk mine as they are muzzled by law. I don't have a problem with my greyhounds being muzzled as such but I do have a problem with people that think it's ok to have their dogs rush at mine and then cop the usual "no wonder those dogs have to wear a muzzle". There was a greyhound killed here on the Coast a few weeks ago on his daily walk, the offending dog ripped into his ears and then his throat and he died on the road in front of his devastated owner. This dog has not been caught and whilst it's not in my suburb I still shit myself everytime I take them out. Stan is recovering from a fractured skull and the last thing I need is some dickhead telling me it's ok cause his dog is friendly!

I read this on the police website and was horrified. Very worrying that this dog hasn't been caught.

And I'm just about to post a story in the News forum, a Pitbull that was attacking a Jack Russell has bitten the finger off the JRT's owner as she was trying to rescue her dog. Pitbull's owner was 80 yrs old ....

Sick to death of reading about dog attacks. :mad

I read this on the police website and was horrified. Very worrying that this dog hasn't been caught.

And I'm just about to post a story in the News forum, a Pitbull that was attacking a Jack Russell has bitten the finger off the JRT's owner as she was trying to rescue her dog. Pitbull's owner was 80 yrs old ....

Yes I am too :( I saw the girl last night on the news that lost her finger trying to protect her JR, Christ what's going on.

I'm starting to think that a partial cause for all of the nuf nuf behaviour when dogs are out is the fact that they are becoming increasingly unwelcome in a lot of places - being relegated to certain "dog" areas like dog parks... which are fairly few and far between in a lot of areas, so can get very crowded at "popular" times.

A lot of people just don't bother trying to find dog friendly areas to take their dogs with them on outings because they are so scarce nowadays. And so, many dogs become extremely excited when they finally do get to go out anywhere - because they don't get out as often as they should... and people don't take them out as often as they should because of all the restrictions, and the cycle continues...

T.

That's an interesting point, and I do agree that makes perfect sense. I think the flipside is also something worth wondering about, when a dog is allowed to roam where does the dog see it's territory ending and beginning? If a dog has free rein of an entire street I can see how there might be territory issues in that street.

Yes, that was a horrific incident Stan's mum. :(

Yes I am too :( I saw the girl last night on the news that lost her finger trying to protect her JR, Christ what's going on.

Her dog was off leash and rushed an on leash dog (that was a bull terrier, not a pit bull). She is the kind of problem owners that are being lamented in this thread - yet the leashed dog is blamed.

I expect it from the media but I expected better from a dog forum that has a thread every second day complaining about users being rushed by off leash dogs.

The hysteria about Bull breeds is also a huge worry to me, Abbie is a bull breed cross and I fear that regardless of how an incident may happen when I am walking it would be her that got the blamefrown.gif she is always on leash and under complete control but by her type alone she would be the dog blamed. In our family the Whippet is boss and more likely to be dog reactive but people don't take him seriously.

Oh dear. It is all so despressing really and sad.

I thought of this thread this morning as I walked out of my gate with my five only to see a couple of houses up Walter the Weimaraner wandering down the footpath.

Now I know where Walter lives and he is a lovely dog, but I have one highly reactive little dog who sets the others off, particularly if there is a dog on the loose, so I didn't care to see how placid Walter would be with my lot telling him he should not be there.

When Walter saw me and mine, he started loping towards me, naturally, as any dog out having a wander and sniff would do.

I dragged mine back down the garden, shut them inside, looked back to see Walter's rear end poking out of my side garden, tail going like a windmill obviously having a a great time.

However, by the time I'd unsnipped the dogs' leads and gone outside again with a spare lead and a handful of treats, he was nowhere to be seen. I checked a couple of neighbours' yards, but couldn't see him. His colour of course is a wonderful camouflage.

So I set out again with just two dogs figuring they'd be the "tethered goat" and hopefully would flush Walter out :D :D . I didn't see him again, but heard him when I passed by his house on my return journey.

This is the second time in as many days that I have found Walter wandering. Do you need to be told? ...... his owners have tradesmen working in their yard.

I'll be popping in later to let them know ...... as if they didn't :mad .