Becoming A Dog Walker

Elise+Hudson

Hey guys,

I have taken an interest in becoming a dog walker... Now this might seem crazy as my day job (well now night job) is a Vet, but feel like this would defiantly help to gain trust from other dog loving people - I certainly know how to take good care of dogs.

So my new job is shift work, so entirely nights and weekends, and I have found myself looking for something to do during my days to keep me busy and I also badly need to work on my fitness - what better way than to earn money getting exercise and helping people with their dogs!

Has anyone else gone to start out in something like this? My availability through the day just makes it seem like it could be a good idea, obviously I am not looking at starting a huge business with multiple staff, but perhaps a more small client base.

I am thinking that starting a website and perhaps getting some business cards are a good start. I already have an ABN, so I am partway sorted there.

So what do you guys think? Something that may appeal to people? Or am I being downright crazy and need to just join a bushwalking club... haha

I have a dog walker, and when looking for one the main thing I looked for was enough qualifications/experience that I felt comfortable with them having responsibility for my dogs. And if you used the fact that you are a vet as a 'selling' point, I'd score you pretty high for trustworthy points so if it's something that would fit with your lifestyle, give it a go!

But as WIW said, when will you sleep :laugh:

Look into insurance and waivers. If the dog you are walking gets attacked by a roaming dog, manages to bite another dog or person while in your care, or manages to escape your care and gets lost, hurt, or causes harm.....you need your butt covered.

Edited by skyefool

I used to do it by accident really, neighbours asked me to do theirs ,one had 3 dogs, the other 2, and then the lovely doler with 2 rottie's and a small fluff,when he had surgery and couldn't do them.

Bear in mind its getting hotter, so walking during the main part of the day maybe too much for some dogs, I walked the rotts either morning or late arvo,and I did them speratley,too big and powerful together,and different exercise needs.

Take into account when you are free, and getting to and from .

Actually I really miss it, I may put up a poster locally and do it again, Min, how much do you pay for a walker these days?

I used to do it by accident really, neighbours asked me to do theirs ,one had 3 dogs, the other 2, and then the lovely doler with 2 rottie's and a small fluff,when he had surgery and couldn't do them.

Bear in mind its getting hotter, so walking during the main part of the day maybe too much for some dogs, I walked the rotts either morning or late arvo,and I did them speratley,too big and powerful together,and different exercise needs.

Take into account when you are free, and getting to and from .

Actually I really miss it, I may put up a poster locally and do it again, Min, how much do you pay for a walker these days?

$32 an hour for two dogs ($22 an hour for one, $10 extra for the second).

I have a dog walker, and when looking for one the main thing I looked for was enough qualifications/experience that I felt comfortable with them having responsibility for my dogs. And if you used the fact that you are a vet as a 'selling' point, I'd score you pretty high for trustworthy points so if it's something that would fit with your lifestyle, give it a go!

But as WIW said, when will you sleep :laugh:

Agree with this! :laugh:

Being a vet would definitely make me feel more comfortable, although I don't really trust anyone with my dogs :o

Hi Elise,

I do pet sitting as a side business as well as my day job... it is pretty easy to create you own website. I get my publice liability insurance through Premier Pets (underwritten by QBE insurance) who have a policy specifically designed for pet industry.

I would find it a lot easier to grow my pet sitting business if i had a night time job lol... a lot of people want someone who can go visit during the day when they work long hours etc and don't want the dogs home alone for so long.

You can check out my website in the small link in my signature if you want to see what you can create quite easily yourself for free... I do pay for hosting so it has a proper url rather than the free webs address that you can get, which i didn't feel was very professional :) (hope this is ok to post... not trying to sell anything I promise :) )

My reply seems to have gone walkies.. :p

I will have plenty of time to sleep.. particularly if I try and do most of the dog walking in the afternoons. I only work 3 days a week and one of these is usually on the weekend, and 2 out of 3 weeknight shifts finish at 1-2am, which still leaves me with plenty of time for a decent sleep in the morning before being up and about.

Insurance issue is very important, will look into how much that will cost for me to set up.

I used to design websites for people in my spare time going through Uni, so will 100% get a good website set up so that I can try and spread the word around.

I think that dog walking/pet sitting will fit into my lifestyle at this point, so I think it is worth a try! If it doesn't work out I guess I at least still have my day job. :)

Understood persephone, but how does one get started in anything if people don't give them a go? I don't know how you become an experienced dog walker unless you get started doing it. I have owned dogs all my life so it is not as if I have just seen dogs in the vet clinic and think I know how to deal with them.

I am still going to try and see what I can organise and see if anyone out there will give me a shot to get started. If not my pup might just be getting quite a few long walks. :p

Good luck- I'd love to see your website when it's finished... sounds like it will be way cooler than mine haha ;) I can't wait till it starts staying light later... at the moment i'm getting home in the dark (and so not a morning person haha) not much fun walking in the dark.

Understood persephone, but how does one get started in anything if people don't give them a go? I don't know how you become an experienced dog walker unless you get started doing it. I have owned dogs all my life so it is not as if I have just seen dogs in the vet clinic and think I know how to deal with them.

I am still going to try and see what I can organise and see if anyone out there will give me a shot to get started. If not my pup might just be getting quite a few long walks. :p

Walking a dog isn't rocket science, especially if you own dogs.

Owning dogs & being a competent person to be a paid walker is a big difference for me & yes being a vet would also have little bearing .

Walking dogs may not be Rocket Science but many people are incapable of walking there dogs safely & correctly in public .

I wouldn't hand my dogs to anyone unless i truly felt they would come home in one piece & the same dogs in nature .

Many vets are clueless when it isn't listed in a book & to be honest we have had students out here on final field days & they couldn't control well trained dogs it was scary .

I would never use the service but if i did i want to now

* insurance covered

* past history in controlling dogs of all shapes ,sizes & needs ( not vet history)

* How many you plan to walk in one hit

* Areas you would walk & why these areas are deemed better for the dogs

* Do you plan to do onleash or offleash

* Method of transporting dogs in vehicles & safety methods offered

* There would be many more questions i would consider .

I agree with Showdog's list.

I dog walk and house/petsit for a few friends and acquaintances. I don't run it as a business per se, but have found my clientele base has come mostly from word of mouth and recommendation. I started for one friend, who mentioned it to another etc, and from my dog training friends. These people have seen me interact with my dogs and others, and know and trust me to handle their dogs and follow instruction.

I think the most important thing for me if I was handing over my dogs to someone is that I have confidence in their abilities to handle and protect my dogs, and follow my instructions.

So maybe if you can approach friends, neighbours and or people who do training with you? Also you could try your local dog park and petshops, some people there maybe be interested or know who is.

Hi.

If I was ever considering that job. My first thought would be handling/ walking dogs unfamiliar to me. All sorts and temperaments. Volunteering at a shelter would be my next thought. Yes I have walked dogs straight from pounds etc. and it is a terrific learning experience!! :) recommended. If you have nil or not much actual walking experience with other dogs !!

P. S.

It's good to have confidence :) I have trained worked with and owned dogs for a half century. I will not comfortably walk any one else' s dogs :/

Keep us posted, and good luck.

Edited by persephone

Yeah I am not looking at making it into a business so much, just would be nice to walk a few dogs a week to help fill in some time during the day, get outside and earn a few extra $$ for Hudson's account.. haha

Thanks for the advice guys :)

The other thing might be to start out with an existing company? I'm not sure whether they operate in Brisbane, but Lonely Pets Club have some walkers who service my area, and I'm pretty sure it's some kind of franchise. So you could give it a go with someone else first, before deciding that you're definitely ready to take on the risk and $$ of insurance and running your own company etc?

That way you get to do the walking, without the business side of it, until you decide you're definitely into the idea?