Dog Shot At Wendouree Home

Zereuloh

The story is sad but raises lots of questions.

The back of the dog's neck is visible in the photo and there is no obvious wound there...

entry wounds can be very small and easily covered by a skin fold/hair ruff....they are only the size of the projectile , usually .

The exit wound would be a bit larger, and probably messier .

If there was one. With a police round, its not likely.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The back of the dog's neck is visible in the photo and there is no obvious wound there...

entry wounds can be very small and easily covered by a skin fold/hair ruff....they are only the size of the projectile , usually .

it was said the blood was on the driveway..and in a photo I saw none coming from orifices, or the part of teh neck I could see , so I thought of an exit ...you may be right though...

Another dodgy out of control action by the police. They are rapidly losing friends.

And I don't think dogs ought to be made to be confined in the rear yard. You own the entire yard, the dog should have access to it.

My dogs have access to the front because I don't want access to be easy for undesirables - coz you know what - if you call the police because you have intruders, no one comes!! Phswar for the police. so the dog is doing the police job.

And the police need to either screen some of those entering, or train them better.

They have no right to shoot your dog.

If they shot my dog, I would have them in court in an instant.

I hate these stories. I hate the numpties with guns who can't control themselves.

Another dodgy out of control action by the police. They are rapidly losing friends.

And I don't think dogs ought to be made to be confined in the rear yard. You own the entire yard, the dog should have access to it.

My dogs have access to the front because I don't want access to be easy for undesirables - coz you know what - if you call the police because you have intruders, no one comes!! Phswar for the police. so the dog is doing the police job.

And the police need to either screen some of those entering, or train them better.

I hate these stories. I hate the numpties with guns who can't control themselves.

Agree

The only "friends" the police tend to have are those who've relied on them at some stage for safety reasons or those who appreciate the difficulties of the job they do. Otherwise, no one cares.

On occasion, a "numpty with a gun" has a legitmate reason to visit a residence and personally, I don't consider being rushed by a dog big enough to cause serious harm is something they should quietly dance around if they they step foot on a property.

Police officers have the right to defend themselves from attack. A serious injury from a dog is NOT part and parcel of what a police officer should expect to suffer when they enter a property. Ideally if they'd had a tazer or OC spray, they might have used non-lethal means.. and that's an if. There's a news story about how ineffective those were when police were called to rescue a couple from a dog attack in NSW last year.

If you wish to allow your dogs free rein of your property, lock your gates and post a sign alerting to the presence of the dog/s.. That way there are no surprises. And if entry is required quickly and in an emergency, expect your dog to pay with its life if it offers resistance - emergency services won't be cooling their heels waiting for the ranger.

This is stuff every dog owner needs to think through. As I said in my first post, some thought by each and every dog owner as to the consequences of how they keep their pets is the only good that can come of this.

If you don't want "undesirables" like kids selling raffle tickets, little old ladies collecting for charity or police performing their lawful duties on your property, BAR ACCESS AND POST A WARNING. That way it won't be your dog that cops a bullet.

Of course the irony of the fortress approach to home security is that statistically, the biggest threat to your safety will come from those you know, not "strangers".

I do wonder what people recommend is the appropriate course of action for a person who finds a huge dog rushing them and behaving aggressively???? "Be like a tree"???

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It depends on who those 'people' are. There are some 'people' who I'm just not comfortable with having easy access to my front door!

S

Then secure your gates. Problem solved. This dog appeared to have access to the police officers which is the issue.

Jed - my front garden is the only garden I have, so my dogs use it. The gates are padlocked though so no one can enter and get a fright/let them out etc. A dog in a front yard that anyone can walk into is not secure.

If they were using usual police rounds they would be more likely to leave a bigger entry and no exit. They are designed for impact not penetration. These aren't rifle rounds.

From what I've read about laws shouldn't your front door/path be safe for people to access? Also I wonder if the driveway was gated or if the dog was just not a wanderer. Also I question why a few police were coming to this house with firearms at the ready...

Edited by mixeduppup

If you wish to allow your dogs free rein of your property, lock your gates and post a sign alerting to the presence of the dog/s.. That way there are no surprises. And if entry is required quickly and in an emergency, expect your dog to pay with its life if it offers resistance - emergency services won't be cooling their heels waiting for the ranger.

So, while chasing a wanted person if a police officer jumps into your fully fenced backyard and your dog barks and runs up, would they have the right to shoot your dog? Or is that only applicable if it is front yard?

So, while chasing a wanted person if a police officer jumps into your fully fenced backyard and your dog barks and runs up, would they have the right to shoot your dog? Or is that only applicable if it is front yard?

In self defence? If they believe they are about to be attacked? Absolutely. Who in their right minds is going to let a dog attack them?

Seriously, its not so much a "right" as a defensible course of action.

On the other hand, if your dog took a piece out of a police officer in your back yard behind locked and sign posted gates, you couldn't be charged for it and your dog would probably escape a DD declaration.

Of course, hopefully the dog is occupied with the wanted person. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Wow can't believe the negative views of police :mad you should try walking a mile in their shoes- crappy pay for frequent threats and little or no thanks for doing your job with few resources for GD's police. My husbands has been bitten in the course of his work several times, would you blame him if a large dog rushed him and he wanted to defend himself or you think he should just wait and see if it would maul him?

Very easy to judge others ....

Also I question why a few police were coming to this house with firearms at the ready...

Perhaps you don't realise how fast cops are taught to draw and fire? Standard drill is draw and fire three shots in two seconds... Things can go pear shaped very, very quickly for police. They are trained accordingly.

Also I question why a few police were coming to this house with firearms at the ready...

Perhaps you don't realise how fast cops are taught to draw and fire? Standard drill is draw and fire three shots in two seconds... Things can go pear shaped very, very quickly for police. They are trained accordingly.

Because Australian general duties police are always armed. Unless you think they should leave the firearms in the car until they're needed?

Wow can't believe the negative views of police :mad you should try walking a mile in their shoes- crappy pay for frequent threats and little or no thanks for doing your job with few resources for GD's police. My husbands has been bitten in the course of his work several times, would you blame him if a large dog rushed him and he wanted to defend himself or you think he should just wait and see if it would maul him?

Very easy to judge others ....

And I imagine some of those bites were from dogs. :grimace:

Because Australian general duties police are always armed. Unless you think they should leave the firearms in the car until they're needed?

I understand that but they were obviously not coming to talk about a charity function by the sounds of it.

And I imagine some of those bites were from dogs. :grimace:

And those are the safe ones that you only need tetanus shots for - not the scary human ones that you have a three month wait on HIV and Hep B results... :( Three months of not knowing and putting your life on hold. Every time...

Like Desertdobes said - walk a mile.

edit to add quote

Edited by Alyosha

This is very sad.

Again I feel like its a matter of people not knowing that people do in fact have a right to get to your front door. I know a couple of people I'd mentioned this too, didn't know it.

While dog owners should make it there responsibility to know and abide by laws regarding their dogs, I can't help but feel that an education campaign would be useful to remind people of the laws that apply to them as pet owners.

Was the dog actually barking and growling and rushing at the police, or was it coming towards them in a friendly manner? What next? Someones Corgi or Golden Retreiver gets shot just because it's coming towards a police officer?