Unattended Dogs

Kajirin

Was at the local shops this afternoon with Scout and my Mum. She went in to do some shopping whilst I waited outside. A man came along with two dogs [one looked like a cattle dog mix the other kelpie mix] and left them tied up to the shopping trolley bar near the front entrance and went in the shops.

I stayed well away from them as they didn't look particularly happy. They barked and snarled at passers by [especially ones with trolleys, they barked and bared their teeth as my Mum passed by them with her trolly, but she was well out of their range]. They were barking quite a bit and the man came out and moved his black one and tied him to the outside bench seats [still near the front door]. He went back into the shops again.

I was now waiting out by the chemist as Mum had to go in and get a prescription. I had Scout in a sit and was watching the two dogs as a regular shopper came along with her husband. She uses a maroon coloured walker as she's quite older. She was walking up the small ramp and the black dog lunged at her and bit her on her calf giving her a very large laceration. The husband sat her down on the bench [which the dog was tied to]. The dog went to go her again so the husband hauled off and smacked the dog in the face with his empty reusable green bags. It made the dog back off and cower well away.

By this time the blood is streaming down her leg, another lady raced into the chemist and they came out with padding and a bandage and quickly applied it. I offered her husband my mobile to call an ambulance, but another passerby was calling for one. I stayed around until she was taken off by the ambulance. Wasn't sure if I was needed as a witness or the like, but I wasn't asked.

The guy finally came out to get his dogs to find all this had happened. He didn't know what to do but apologize profusely [at least he didn't take off]. But all he could really say was it wasn't in his dog's nature to act like that. But judging by how they were reacting to things...I guess he doesn't really see how his dogs act out in his absence.

I did see the dog owner and husband of the lady bitten exchanging information.

Do hope the lady is ok though, as it looked like a nasty wound :(

Edited by Noishe

Another example of pet owners not knowing their own dogs or perhaps in denial...very sad. I hope the lady is alright. frown.gif

If the incident is reported to the local council (possibly via the hospital) council may have to take some sort of action to have the dog assessed, dependending on the existing SA legislation.

Poor lady. Hope she is o.k. Would have been a really scary incident. Sounds like the owner doesn't realise how aggressive his dogs are in his absence. Hopefully he will learn from this & wont let there be a repeat episode.

People do it all the time take dogs leave them unattended to go shopping Personally i think these people are irresponsible idiots without any thought to there dogs & break the obvious rule of having there dogs under effective control .

Guest Wildthing

A dog was left tethered to something outside a local shopping center and was stolen. Fortunately, someone read the article in the local newspaper and recognised a dog he had seen in the street and contacted the dog's owner who collect it! People were told it is illegal to leave their dogs tied up unattended in the ACT.

Another example of pet owners not knowing their own dogs or perhaps in denial...very sad. I hope the lady is alright.

I agree that a lot of the time people have no idea what they have on the end of a leash.

I am not a fan of tethered dogs left alone anywhere. Recipe for trouble IMHO. No way known I would EVER leave mine unsupervised anywhere. Also I worry there is a chance of someone stealing them :(

Agree.

Any dog owner who walks his/her dogs regularly and with half a brain knows the the sounds of wheels (skates, skateboards, trolleys, bicycles) can be a real trigger for reaction for dogs.

Fancy being lunged at and bitten when you have to use a walker. That poor woman. I hope the owner is fined big time.

Yes DDarling, you want get my girl trigged to react big time rush at her on one of those small metal scooters. She wont bite the person riding it but if she was left alone I predict she would chase & snap at the scooter, nothing surer.

Edited by BC Crazy

Right from when mine was a pup I let him get used to everything I possibly could - people, children, trolleys, prams, pushers, walkers and bicycles [he'll always just ignore as they go past]. Scooters/skateboards has been a tad harder as they're not always around when I want them to be [to be honest didn't know any kids that had them either]. The times he has seen kids on them, he's been alert, but relaxed - still tell him to leave it and give lots of praise once they've gone. I'd never leave my boy unattended though, would never dream of it.

The only time he pays attention to anyone going past is if they use the magic word...hello [that's his cue they generally want to pat him].

Kind of kicking myself as well, as I was sitting on the bench earlier but moved away to let Scout have a wee on some trees away from the shop [he's on Macrolone tablets at the moment and is a piddlepot]. If I'd stayed there, the guy probably wouldn't have had his dogs tied up there and the woman wouldn't have got bitten. But as Mum said can't blame myself for that, as I wasn't to know but meh still feel bad.

The poor lady, just what she doesn't need if she's on a walker. At least the dog owner did the decent thing, apologized and stuck around. I think the whole practice of leaving a dog tied up should be outlawed it's dangerous for the public and sometimes the dog.

I only ever once tied my dog up outside a shop, when I came out she'd crawled under a display rack and there were 3 littles kids trying to coax her out and the mother was saying "Just pull on her lead". Talk about trying to get your kids bitten. : (

Wow, I think I'd be bitch slapping that mother so hard...

Verbally.. Of course......

I was tempted but i busied myself getting my dog out from under the rack, all the while explaining to the children that if a dog hides from them like this, it means it's scared and you should never corner a scared animal or they could bite. I then picked my dog up and let the kids pat her. The mother said not one word but looked very pink in the cheeks, almost like she'd been slapped. : )

Someone had tied their dogs up outside our local supermarket the other day, which is a very busy shop. The leads were SO long that the dogs could walk around the entire entrance and people were having to step over the dogs and leads to go in or out! Honestly some people just have no idea!

Someone had tied their dogs up outside our local supermarket the other day, which is a very busy shop. The leads were SO long that the dogs could walk around the entire entrance and people were having to step over the dogs and leads to go in or out! Honestly some people just have no idea!

I've seen this happening too, shoppers trying to get in and out, climbing over dogs and leads. Inconsiderate behavior by some halfwit dog owner. :mad