Grainfree Dry Food

Following my vets advice, I am needing to put my dog on a 'grainfree' diet due to skin problems and allergies.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? I have seen the Canidae one, but this is imported and I would prefer to by an local product.

I am also wanting to try to stay away from beef also if possible?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be aware that many brands use a spray on oil apparently on kibbles (it keeps the kibble piece looking edible and 'moist' I am told) that contain chicken and or beef by products. I would think the label should state this but I am not sure, and if it does, I am not sure how clear it is. This is why kibble is considered a common allergen. It is usually not grains, but the beef and chicken additives and by products.

A question: why are you feeding kibble at all if your vet thinks it is grains. Why not feed an alternative to kibble?

My 2 BC's love Earthborn Holistic grain free :)

They have only 30 percent dry though but I am more than

happy with EBH.

Another vote for Earthborn grain free. Jager does really well on it and his coat shines, which i had never seen prior to switching.

another vote for Taste of the Wild ... we used the bison one. We are now feeding raw however and seeing great results on that.

My boys rashes did clear up A LOT once we started feeding a grain free kibble so hopefully you have good results as well :)

My dogs are on a raw meaty bone diet but will get the odd cup of grain free scattered over the back yard when we go out. I've tried the 2 supermarket grain frees & EBH. My little JS has a plaque problem so needs to chew on meat & bones. Kibble is like he's had lots of lollies & his k9's are brown near the roots.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Plenty of food for thought and options to try and hopefully we can find one of these products that will give us some good result.

I will start with one of the Australian products first of all, as sometimes the imported foods can have questionable ingredients.

May I please ask where those who purchase Taste of the wild and Earthborn Holistic purchase theirs from? I am in a rural area and there is not a lot of choice so I will need to find online sources. Oh and which flavours have you had success with too please?

Edited by bianca.a