Running With Dogs

dee lee

I have jogged a minimum of 5kms regularly with my Golden Retriever for over 4 years now, she used to love it and keep up with no problem.

However, I have noticed in the last few months she has been lagging behind. :(

She's perfectly healthy, so initially I wondered if she was just being lazy or bored, or even that I am getting faster (deluded :laugh: ), but I'm starting to wonder whether at 6 and a half, she's getting older & may not be up for running much longer.

So I'd be interested to hear what Dolers think- is she getting too old?

Also, as breeds go, GRs are generally not known as jogging companions, my next breed most likely will be a short haired gun breed, which of them would you recommend for running?

She is indeed probably slowing down a bit with age, and possibly getting a bit sore :( I'd suggest she is not enjoying jogging as much as you'd like her too...

I reckon a pointer (English) would suit you perfectly! And they are stunning imo

She is indeed probably slowing down a bit with age, and possibly getting a bit sore :( I'd suggest she is not enjoying jogging as much as you'd like her too...

I reckon a pointer (English) would suit you perfectly! And they are stunning imo

Yes - and they go for years! My friend's GSP who I adored (he'd lay right across my lap LOL) and walked, still went 5kms every day until just before he passed around 14 yrs of age. He slowed down over the years but he was the most amazing dog!

Maybe you could try get her back down to her ideal weight (I am only going by your post in my Fat Dogs thread lol) and see if that might not make her feel well enough to keep up again? I'm not sure why a GR would not be able to jog like a GSP would? My Weimaraner gets hot despite a short coat so I try to exercise her very early or late when it is hot.

With a HPR dog (German Pointers, Weimaraners, Vizslas) I would not think that they would be slowing down due to age at age 6 yet but am not familiar enough with GR to be able to say. It might be worthwhile doing a proper vet check on your dog, including checking for joint and back problems etc. What kind of surface do you jog on? My dog does not enjoy running on tar and cement, so foot paths are not popular and might even be making the dog sore a little...

Edited by BlackJaq

I agree with backjaq. I'd also take honey to the physio to check that she doesn't have any niggling pain that would do her down. I own small breeds and I know that large breeds are different, but 6 doesn't seem old to me?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the weight. She is only marginally overweight, still has a waist, just a covering over the ribs. She's on a diet & it won't take long, maybe it will help, I hope so.

To be honest, I've not owned an older dog before, so I am just unsure whether I've got unrealistic expectations of her.

Even at her fittest a couple of years ago, other gun breeds would have had more stamina. As a rule Retrievers generally don't seem as energetic as the HPRs. :)

I was once told English Pointers are a bit more chilled in temperament than GSPs- would that be right? I adore the look of HPR breeds (Weims in particular! Gorgeous dogs) & the general temperaments suit me beautifully, but I worry about the Velcro dog reputation of some of them.

Is this a suggestion to casually change breeds and get a new dog cause the present dog doesn't live up to expectations?

Could also be a little arthritis. I've seen dogs go from couch potato to energetic when put on NSAI's. It won't hurt to try an aspirin morning and night for a few days. If that ups her energy level you can be pretty sure it's the arthurs. (My vets have told me that aspirin at low doses for less than a week is quite safe, but check the dosage, and don't go long term).

Edited by sandgrubber

How are her nails? Not too long?

Are you happy you know how good her fundamental construction is? Do you have a picture of her standing you can put up?

If not, find someone who knows what they are looking at and get them to take a look. It may be that with age her body is not able to compensate for something like iffy pasterns, or a straight front or a weak rear. It's something that companion only people often never give a thought to, as matters of construction are considered the province of show dog geeks only. However if someone wanted a jogging companion I would be making sure they got the best constructed dog I could come up with as jogging with a poorly constructed dog will eventually give the dog chronic weakness and pain. Goldens are not a dog I would have picked for a jogging companion either, IIRC yours was a rescue?

When you do get a new dog, make sure that you take someone who really understands dog construction with you and that you tell the breeder that you intend to jog with the dog. The wrong choice of puppy can put paid to your jogging companion dreams even if it's a breed that is suitable for running. It's also really unfair on the dog - especially a gundog that is more likely to keep pushing past the pain to keep up with you. At least if they need to my Salukis are more likely to say "piss off, I'm not going any more" temperamentally speaking. As it is, they lap me multiple times and shake their skinny arses at me, the bastards :laugh:

Is this a suggestion to casually change breeds and get a new dog cause the present dog doesn't live up to expectations?

Could also be a little arthritis. I've seen dogs go from couch potato to energetic when put on NSAI's. It won't hurt to try an aspirin morning and night for a few days. If that ups her energy level you can be pretty sure it's the arthurs. (My vets have told me that aspirin at low doses for less than a week is quite safe, but check the dosage, and don't go long term).

I don't think thats what the OP means at all. I can tell by their concern that they love their dog dearly, even if she can't run 5km every day any more.

I hope she is alright, and it is something just as simple as stiffness or added weight.

I have a friend with a vizsla who i sometimes take running, she could run for hours and she is such a sweet dog.

But when it comes to vizslas i am picky with how they look, some of the vizslas in Australia have a funny face ( not a very nice way to put it, but IMO) and if i ever got one i would choose breeders based on dog health AND physical looks - being shallow as i am ;)

GSP's are lovely dogs too, my family used to own them, and they also had plenty of stamina :)

I have only ever met two EP's (owned by he same person) and to me they seemed to large to be ideal jogging companions.

They kind of just plodded along at a slow pace. And they were young dogs too.

Sandgrubber, I did ask for breed recommendations. Fbaudry was just making a suggestion.

I'm not replacing Honey, she's my heart dog, but I'm always going to run & I actually really love doing it with my dog. Next time I want to make sure that I have chosen a breed better suited to it.

If it turns out that this is the end of us running together, so be it, I'll just have to exercise her separately.

SSM, I've been religiously cutting her nails. That was my first thought.

And yes you recall rightly, she is a rescue, so I've no idea about her breeding but, to my admittedly inexperienced eye, she doesn't have great confirmation. Your post really gives me pause for thought... and only emphasizes how I need to plan for my next dog.

To be honest, Id just assumed if I kept her fit and healthy that would be all I had to worry about. But of course physiology is very complex.

Esky, true, it has been hot & I exercise her early because of this. Now that I think of it, she's been panting a fair bit & I've been blaming the weather, but maybe it's something else. I'll mention it to the vet.

And yes you recall rightly, she is a rescue, so I've no idea about her breeding but, to my admittedly inexperienced eye, she doesn't have great confirmation. Your post really gives me pause for thought... and only emphasizes how I need to plan for my next dog.

To be honest, Id just assumed if I kept her fit and healthy that would be all I had to worry about. But of course physiology is very complex.

Going to a Pat Hastings lecture series about this subject totally changed how I look at dogs and how I home rescues/pups. I knocked back a couple of people for the most recent rescue I had to place because they wanted a dog they could jog with and for a couple of reasons she was never going to be a jogging dog, Saluki or not.

Pat has a book containing the detail of that lecture series, which you might find helpful reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Action-The-Makings-Durable/dp/0967841445

Personally i find Goldies more a lazy breed so i don't see it as a surprise that at 6 years she may be slowing down .

All my dogs when in exercise get Bowen to ensure there injury free .

But i do agree that some dogs are designed to run & others aren't .

Maybe cut it down to alternative days .

Maybe her recovery rate is as great anymore .

As for other breeds depends on the surface you run on .

Viszlas ,Weis & a number of other breeds would be fine but you still need to live with it so i guess it comes down to how important the jogging part is in relation to ease of living with the chosen breed

Edited by showdog

Casper used to hate running with me because I was too slow for him whereas he and OH had the perfect pace for each other. When he turned 8, he struggled to keep up, even with me. I put it down to his age but started to get worried when walking became too much for him too. I took him to the vet for some unrelated matter, I had felt a lump in his abdomen that I wanted checked out. The vet said it was a fatty lump but kept feeling around and found another lump that he was concerned about. He operated on Casper and found a sizeable tumour on his spleen which he removed. Once he recovered from the surgery, OH and he were back to their normal running speed.

They continued to run for another year until OH's knee gave up so I ended up with both dogs as running companions! I lost one, Bella, to cancer in December and at age 12, Casper's age and degenerative myelopathy have put an end to his running days. I've tried running on my own but I don't have the heart for it.

I hope you find out what Honey's problem is and you are able to get your running partner back.