New Addition To Our Family

Inka3095

Hey

My parents lost their two kelpie x BC this year, 6 months apart after 14 long wonderful years with them. My Dad was moping around so badly that we started looking for a new addition to our family a little sooner than planned and have recently adopted this lovely young lady. She comes from PetsHaven (apparently rescued from a dog hoarder) via 1st her adopter who only had her for a month but realised she wasn't able to provide enough exercise or love with her work committments and had to rehome her (again).

So Kirra is decidedly unsure of herself, panics when is left alone and has a meltdown if she thinks everyone is leaving her. Unsure if this is just her personality or a result of so much change in a short period of time. She has unlimited energy and gives the most lovely cuddles. After owning an aloof shiba for over a year, having a smoochy dog to cuddle is just the most amazing thing!

We'll be taking her to formal obedience and hope that with time and training her anxiety will lessen. My parents are both retired so are home most of the day anyway, which is lucky because Kirra destroys anything she can get her teeth on if not watched closely.... Fun times ahead!

Any idea what she may be crossed with? She's very small, only about 10kg and has a dainty little pointy face. Acts 100% kelpie though haha. Foxy? Koolie? Something else? =)

post-8076-0-17008400-1383122458_thumb.jpg

Have to agree with Rozzie, looks all Kelpie to me. Our red & white boy was 11kg when we adopted him from the pound aged around 7 months, he has never topped more than 17kg. Have also had an adult foster at maximum 13kg. Kelpies are very varied in height & weight. She is lovely, hope she can help fill the void in your Dad's heart :)

almost looks like a fox in this photo!

From the Schipperke breed standard:

with a fox-like face.

probably explains why the Schipperke jumped in to my head! Maybe she has a little fox terrier or something in her, at her size she might be all kelpie but her little pixie face and smaller size makes me wonder whether maybe she's 1/4 foxy or something like that.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I can't help you with the breed mix query but she is just lovely. Very sweet little girl !! Congrats to your folks new family addition. Sounds like she has found a wonderful caring forever home.

Edited by BC Crazy