How Long Have You Had To Wait For A First Season?

Seita

Just curious what is the longest anyone has had to wait for a bitch to come in season for the first time? One of the pups from my last litter is in an agility home and the owner wanted to wait until she'd had her first season before desexing her. That bitch is now 20 months old and still hasn't come in season as far as the owner is aware. There hasn't been any sign of a silent season or any unusual swelling of the vulva etc over this time either. Her sister who I kept has just had her 2nd season so nothing unusual there. Has anyone had to wait this long or longer? The owner will be desexing the bitch later this year regardless but I wonder if I should be worried that there might be an infertility issue in the lines, any thoughts?

Just curious what is the longest anyone has had to wait for a bitch to come in season for the first time? One of the pups from my last litter is in an agility home and the owner wanted to wait until she'd had her first season before desexing her. That bitch is now 20 months old and still hasn't come in season as far as the owner is aware. There hasn't been any sign of a silent season or any unusual swelling of the vulva etc over this time either. Her sister who I kept has just had her 2nd season so nothing unusual there. Has anyone had to wait this long or longer? The owner will be desexing the bitch later this year regardless but I wonder if I should be worried that there might be an infertility issue in the lines, any thoughts?

Not unusual for very fit females of any species to have delayed menstruation, or if they are below an optimum weight, think it below about 80% of ideal in humans...........greyhound bitches often don't come in until they have a break or retire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ellz, then I guess that I should not have to worry about mine that had 1st season at 15 months and has not had another since then, it has now been 14 months.

My vet wants to give her something to bring her in ???

The odd thing is her dam has always been a 4 month girl all her life

thanks for the replies, glad to hear that others have had to wait a long time too! The bitch is being desexed now as we were never intending to breed her but I am glad to know that it's not likely to be a fertility issue.