Treble And His Dry Food.

Lhok

Recently Treble has had a hernia op and while the road to recovery has been a little slow I have noticed over the week he hasn't been eating his dry food if I mix it up with tinned stuff he will attempt to pick off all the dry food and just eat the tinned stuff.

He was on Black hawk puppy but he just flat out refuses to eat it even if it is mixed with tinned food or fish. We were giving some sensitive tummy fishy dry food made by proplan and for 2 days he was happy to eat that but now he appears to be disinterested in that a bit too. He will still eat it if it is mixed with tinned stuff though.

I have had him back to the vets who are at a loss as to why he is refusing the dry food but wanting the tinned. He is also on anti biotics for a suspected localised infection in the inside layer of sutures where the hernia repair was done. He is also still on pain relief as the wound site is rather large and when he sits and lays down it pulls a little.

Not sure what to do about him eating as he has some weight since he hasn't been eating much.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Probably because to him, the tinned food is tastier than the dry so he's eating the yummier stuff. If you want him to eat dry, might just have to feed dry so he learns it's that or nothing, there is nothing better on offer.

The vets tried that for 3 days while he was in there and he barely ate anything :( I know dogs won't starve themselves but since he has the infection the vets want him to eat as he can't have his anti biotics without food. Before the op he was a food hound, he ate anything that was in his bowl which was mostly dry food.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

I would humour him and give him soft food - or maybe chicken and rice - until his health improves, so that he is getting nutrients and taking the ABs properly. Then reintroduce the dry.

x2

Never seen the point in arguing with a sick dog. If he's normally not fussy then chances are that once he feels better he'll go back to his normal eating patterns. Of course if he's always been fussy then you will have a battle on your hands - but surely that's a battle that can wait until he's 100% ?

I don't see the problem either - just as long as he is eating sufficient to recover his health. My dog won't eat kibble by itself - don't blame him really its really unappetising without a little "something" to spice it up. :)

..if a dog here is not 100%( as long as they do not have a tummy bug) they get all sorts of different things until they're well again - first thing is lots of raw .. then depending on the dog - they also get treats of cat food , eggs , scrambled .., peanut butter sandwiches are always a popular breakfast ..fresh rabbit halves ...table scraps ..

If he's recovering from surgery, he probably doesn't feel 100% and you'll need to really tempt him to stimulate his appetite.

I recommend warm roast chicken. Peel it off the bones and feed. If he's not interested in that, he's probably really feeling ordinary.

Worry about normal diet when he's back to full strength.

Ok so I went out and I got some yummy dinner stuff for treb, Hopefully some of it will entice him to eat. I did buy two roast chooks (one for me and one for Treb) so I will see how that goes first. Thanks all :)

--Lhok

He is drinking and his behaviour is normal just this not eating business has got me stumped. He just noses his bowl under his bed and leaves it there.

The Vet I rang basically said if he is drinking and appears happy within himself then the whole not eating could just be because he is a bit sore and the stitches might be pulling a little on the inside. He is on pain meds already though.

--Lhok

..yes, I'm cynical...

remember, sometimes procedures don't work out exactly as planned ....and a youngster refusing food for days is not normal .

Cynical of what?

I know his refusing food is not normal. Hence why I have rang an after hours vet, I got pain meds the day after his op since it was obvious that he was in pain, I took him into the vet and hospitalised him and they monitored him and then released him. I have tried all his favourite foods and some warm roast chicken which he ate last night but refused it this morning. I don't know what else to do and I am extremely worried I could call the after hours vet again but because he is drinking and his behaviour hasn't changed I would be told the same thing.

He is drinking water and his general behaviour hasn't changed he is actually quite bouncy even though I have been keeping him as quiet as I can so his wound can heal. I just don't know what else to try so I thought I would try here.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok