Wellington Point Family Find Dog Bella Killed In 'gruesome' Ba

Caesars mum

this is unbelievable, the poor family must be devastated

Bella Killed

A WELLINGTON Point family is in shock after returning home to find their dog had been killed in a horrific backyard attack.

Bella – a Golden Labrador who would have turned nine this month – was discovered lying on her side with a “clean incision” under her bottom jaw, which had also been broken.

The attack happened in the fully-fenced backyard of the Cherry St home sometime between last Friday and Monday, while her owners were away.

Police investigating the dog’s suspicious death said it was possible somebody had broken into the yard, was “startled” by the dog, and lashed out.

Police are unsure about the type of weapon used.

“(Bella) must have been eating at the time because when she eats she cleans up, but there were crumbs around and you could see the claw marks on the concrete where they dragged her,” family member Sherrie Townsend said.

“It was very gruesome.”

She said Bella had been with the family since she was a puppy.

“We have cats, my sister has a child, she’s just so placid and there was even a magpie that would land in the yard, she was not a mean dog at all,” she said.

Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or Crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.

Just leaving my dog to go shopping is hard enough for me. She has a pet door into the laundry where her bed and food are, but I still worry.

It's not uncommon for people to leave their dogs however, I know of several who get someone to feed their dogs every day, while they are away.

A little more about it here--> http://www.baysidebu...d-bella/?cs=212

POLICE are testing fingerprints found in a pool of blood near where a nine-year-old golden labrador Bella was bludgeoned to death in a Wellington Point backyard.

The officer called to the scene, Senior Constable Debbie Halls, said she believed the dog was hit with a "heavy instrument" from under its bottom jaw.

She said initial findings pointed to a failed attempt to break into the Cherry Street property, which also fronts Jasper Street, sometime over the weekend.

"The house was not broken into so it is possible the dog might have given the offenders a surprise," Sen Con Halls said.

"We believe the killer got into the property by jumping over a fence and was on foot.

"We are concerned there is someone wandering the neighbourhood with a weapon.

"The force of the blow was so great it was enough to shatter the dog's top jaw.

"It appears the dog was hit rather than stabbed and probably died slowly as there were claw marks in the concrete."

Sen Cons Halls said neighbours claimed the family pet, known as Bella, was a quiet and placid animal and only barked when there were intruders.

Owners of the dog, Darren and Sonya Townsend, were away and their daughter Tiffany, who lives in Thornlands, visited on Saturday to show off Mr Townsend's car, which was for sale.

Mr Townsend, who works at the Port of Brisbane, said he knew something was amiss when he arrived home on Monday and Bella did not jump up at the fence.

"I went outside and there was a strong smell and then I saw her in a pool of blood," he said.

"She had been beaten to death and whoever did this is violent."

The couple's second daughter Sherrie, 26, who lives in Wellington Point, said neighbours had complained about baits being left on the lawn of a house in Jasper Street.

Anyone with information about the incident should contact Capalaba police on 3433 3333.

"(Bella) must have been eating at the time because when she eats she cleans up, but there were crumbs around

Someone was obviously feeding her so it's not like she was completely abandoned all that time.

VEry sad and horrific story :(

If she had been cared for properly whilst they are away, it wouldn't have taken until Monday to find her.

I just looked after a neighbour's dog - for nothing - she's an old girl and I went morning and night even though they had told me to only go once a day, she lives outside and is 18 yrs old ... nothing I can do about that but as they were away for 6 days, I wanted to do what I could. I would have taken her in my place but they said she doesn't like other dogs and at her age, it's too hard on her to do that anyhow.

A younger dog should have had a lot more attention, walks included, during a 3 or 4 day absence.

Edited by dogmad

I know it's not the case here, but sometimes it's unavoidable to leave dogs at home alone for long periods. Recently we had to leave the dogs without anyone home, they ended up being unattended for almost 29 hours because we'd only just moved to the area and with Thundercleese's issues I couldn't ask any of the neighbours to check on them because he'd go ballistic, but my Grandpa was dying in the middle of the night, so we were kind of stuck.

I do feel for her owners, I hope whoever did it copped a good bite from Bella, and that said bite wound goes septic.

Sometimes it can't be helped. I left my beloved dogs alone one night a week every week for 4 months. My daughter was born 13 weeks early and spent that time 200 km away in hospital. No family nearby, and given the dogs were a Dane and a mastiff cross there were safety issues to consider about allowing a stranger access. The dogs were fine, but i still feel guilty for the death of a rabbit from injuries that weren't discovered sooner due to me being away so much .