How Often Do You Run Your Dogs Off Leash?

silentchild

127 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you run your dogs off leash?

• Every day
    • Several times a week
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely
    • Never

Lol I have no problem admitting that after our morning walk to the park I'll happily sit down for 15 minutes and read Facebook... smile.gif The dog will carefully sniff every corner of the park during that time. Of course I would only ever do this in a fenced, secure area and as "our" park is quite small I can keep an eye on him at all times. However I do like to play with him after this and we practice recall and some basic obedience most mornings too. I'm just not a morning person... biggrin.gif

I just couldn't do the phone thing. Why? because if I did I would have 2 border collies just sitting at my feet!! I have to keep moving for them to move around. Lazy little buggers. Very annoying if I feel sick and don't want to walk around!

I couldn't do it because I'd have a Springer off hunting (with ears firmly glued down) or else one at my feet with a rabbit or a duck :eek:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I have no problem admitting that after our morning walk to the park I'll happily sit down for 15 minutes and read Facebook... smile.gif The dog will carefully sniff every corner of the park during that time. Of course I would only ever do this in a fenced, secure area and as "our" park is quite small I can keep an eye on him at all times. However I do like to play with him after this and we practice recall and some basic obedience most mornings too. I'm just not a morning person... biggrin.gif

I just couldn't do the phone thing. Why? because if I did I would have 2 border collies just sitting at my feet!! I have to keep moving for them to move around. Lazy little buggers. Very annoying if I feel sick and don't want to walk around!

I couldn't do it because I'd have a Springer off hunting (with ears firmly glued down) or else one at my feet with a rabbit or a duck :eek:

Lol. That would be handy if you were lost in the Canadian wilderness after a bear had eaten all your food!

Lol. That would be handy if you were lost in the Canadian wilderness after a bear had eaten all your food!

I KNEW there had to be an upside lol

Lol, i was going to say the same thing :) I take my 3 to the fenced off lead park most arvos, I walk around all day at work so sometimes I'd like to just sit down but if I do I instantly have the Sheltie on my lap, the poodle x tapping my leg asking for treats and the Aussie shoving her head in between them in case she misses out on something. The only way to get them to actually run is for me to walk laps of the park :laugh:

Lol, i was going to say the same thing :) I take my 3 to the fenced off lead park most arvos, I walk around all day at work so sometimes I'd like to just sit down but if I do I instantly have the Sheltie on my lap, the poodle x tapping my leg asking for treats and the Aussie shoving her head in between them in case she misses out on something. The only way to get them to actually run is for me to walk laps of the park :laugh:

It is so annoying. I have been sick all week and have still taken them out and trooped around the damn park.

In the rain too most days. Maybe that is why I am still sick :laugh:

Mainly every day for us, although in snake season & very hot weather free running sometimes has to be curtailed.

We are lucky to own acreage but having spelling Thoroughbreds on agistment I do not let the dogs run willy nilly over the property, plus, there is the risk of snakes, particularly around dams where the dogs would like to wallow! So we take to the local trails which do not have much dog traffic. Frequently I drop OH 10-15 km out of town & he will walk back with the dogs...... the longer hikes reserved for the weekends.

Living on the Southern Tablelands we have some favourite spots where we like to take the dogs to run & swim in waterholes along the rivers..... our favourite place, for dogs & people is at a waterfall about 50km from here..... sorry I cannot divulge where it is..... :shhh:..... but it is magical!

As often as I can. I take my 4 non-Iggy breed dogs out to the creek bed so they can run free. Two days ago my boxer and bullmastiff cross had a wonderful time chasing emus for kilometers out there. It's just such great exercise for them.

Not sure how to vote. Mine have a couple acres to run on 24/7. Don't have a good local place to run them off leash, but they get run on-leash a few times a week (alongside a bicycle on a bike path) and sometimes we go to an offleash dog park that's ~25 km away..

Guest Maeby Fünke

I find that 45 minutes on the leash is enough for my Pug, and that 60-90 minutes off-leash is his limit (at the beach for example). We go 5-7 days a week, depending on the weather. I don't take him if it's too hot or too cold, or raining.

Since he had his Brachy surgery he can go much longer than he used to and his breathing is fantastic :thumbsup:

Most days they get off lead time, but on secure private property.

Maxie has excellent recall but the girls don't - Kayla is losing her hearing so not safe for her to be off lead, and Annie is small, very fast, and has a very high prey drive, so even though I have done a lot of recall training with her, there is no way I would take the risk of having her off lead in other areas. Safety comes first IMO.