How Do You Pronounce...

Pretty Miss Emma

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainey is spot on with the Fauves! :thumbsup:

And it translates to Low Fawn Dog from Brittany.

Basset simply means low and you can have, apparently a basset chair or table etc. There is also (though not here in Australia) a Griffon Fauve De Bretagne which is a tall Fauve.

Griffon Fauve

Edited by Trisven13

Or you could be like Mr Ellz at an aggie show last year, totally fed up to the gills from explaining that our dog was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, NOT an American Staffordshire BULL Terrier or an ENGLISH Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Bogan woman asked "what is that?" waving in general direction of dog. Mr Ellz replies without blinking "a dog".........

I :eek: and then :rofl:

:thumbsup: Go Mr Ellz!

I agree..

I dislike the 'english' staffy thing - it really isn't that hard. SBT or AST..

Edited by Staffyluv

Rott-vy-ler :)

This is how I pronounce it and people always look at me like I am stupid ! Thank you !

Same :laugh:

You see their brain ticking over for a few seconds, then it sinks in what I have said and they just move on.

I know it actually is vy-ler but is why-ler forgivable? They already think I'm weird just for that!! :o

This is how I pronounce it and people always look at me like I am stupid ! Thank you !

You see their brain ticking over for a few seconds, then it sinks in what I have said and they just move on.

I know it actually is vy-ler but is why-ler forgivable? They already think I'm weird just for that!! :o

For me, rott-why-ler is fine :) Most Rotty people pronounce it that way as well - I do half the time, particularly if I'm talking to the average person on the street :) As long as you don't go with rott-wheel-er, you're good. Saying rott-vy-ler will just get you a bonus point :D

I hate it too.

Saying English Staffordshire Bull Terrier is like saying Australian, Victorian Bull Terrier. :laugh:

No English!!

Me three....

On the weekend when someone asked what kind of dog I had - I said a Stafford. Oh a staffy they say, American or English? I said no he is not an Amstaff, he is a staffordshire bull terrier..... And they are like, so an English staffy then?...... No just an SBT!

Very annoying.

For me, rott-why-ler is fine :) Most Rotty people pronounce it that way as well - I do half the time, particularly if I'm talking to the average person on the street :) As long as you don't go with rott-wheel-er, you're good. Saying rott-vy-ler will just get you a bonus point :D

But then you get those that say Rockwyler :rofl:

Or Rocky for short

I hate it too.

Saying English Staffordshire Bull Terrier is like saying Australian, Victorian Bull Terrier. :laugh:

No English!!

Me three....

On the weekend when someone asked what kind of dog I had - I said a Stafford. Oh a staffy they say, American or English? I said no he is not an Amstaff, he is a staffordshire bull terrier..... And they are like, so an English staffy then?...... No just an SBT!

Very annoying.

It isn't like there are no differences between the two breeds - the AST has about 10kg+ on an SBT.. That is a whole lot more dog.

I hate it too.

No English!!

Me three....

Very annoying.

It isn't like there are no differences between the two breeds - the AST has about 10kg+ on an SBT.. That is a whole lot more dog.

Once when we were walking a jogger stopped and asked if he was an normal staffy.... What's normal? Again i said he is a staffordshire bull terrier.

And then my girl who is on the smaller side, a few people have asked if she is a mini staffy :(

It's interesting though, because as far as I know its acceptable among Mastiff folk to say English Mastiff (when referring to a Mastiff, as opposed to a French Mastiff or a Bullmastiff) even though they are just 'Mastiff'.

One of the first things I learnt on Dol was that it's just not ok to refer to and SBT as an English Staffy :)

But it was good because it was very enlightening, I didn't even know there was such a breed as an AST!

Australian Cattle Dogs = Australian Cattle Dogs or Cattle Dogs NOT Heeler, Blue Heeler, Qld, (or any other state, but Qld is the most said), Heeler, Eeler, (and thats clearly the absolute worst), Red Heeler, Blue Heeler etc, etc....

Actually the most annoying is Healer, they dont heal you :mad...

Australian Cattle Dogs = Australian Cattle Dogs or Cattle Dogs NOT Heeler, Blue Heeler, Qld, (or any other state, but Qld is the most said), Heeler, Eeler, (and thats clearly the absolute worst), Red Heeler, Blue Heeler etc, etc....

Actually the most annoying is Healer, they dont heal you :mad...

I call them Cattle Dogs, but I didn't realise Heeler would be offensive confused.gif Most working ACDs I know get called heelers