Heart Wrenching Photos...

Rozzie

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/heartwrenching-photos-show-the-moment-dog-owners-say-goodbye-to-dying-friend/story-fngwib2y-1226764254217

WHEN man loses his best friend, the heartache is hard to describe in words.

The relationship between man and dog is so special and unfortunately, often so short.

Photographer Sarah Ernhart captures owners saying a final goodbye to their faithful friends in a single snap. Her project, Joy Session, shows the raw emotion of this moment, sometimes just hours before the dog passes away.

On last count, Ms Ernhart has photographed over 150 Joy Sessions.

"It can definitely be very emotional," Mrs Ernhart said. "It's a very sensitive time for these people who have been with these animals for their entire lives. I definitely have cried with some of the owners.

"It's pretty powerful."

If you thought Marley & Me was emotional, prepare yourself. These photos will break your heart.

I know just how poignant those photos are.

I am hoping to collect photos either this week or next week taken the day my Asante sana was pts. She had amyloidosis and renal failure. She was only 4. I could only order hers in a photo box as I am not yet ready to have photos of her on display in the house.

Beautiful phoot's.

We took family photo's this year for a couple with a nine year old boxer. They have been told his breed only average 10, so wanted photo's while he is still healthy. It was hard as dog loving photographers, seeing the underlying sadness in his people's eyes, as they thought about why they were having the photo shoot. I can only imagine how extroadinarily sad and emotional a "last day" shoot must be for all concerned, but how special.

Thanks for sharing

Di

I'm hoping this picture attaches. Saying goodbye to old Pepper, my German shepherd, when I was a teenager. Very sad day, that one. I think it's a really good idea to do photos like the ones in that article. You can never have too many pictures of dogs, especially the old timers :) post-49023-0-38098900-1385028849_thumb.jpg

I can't post pics of the event at present but on my girl's last morning we all went out into the backyard and in the winter sun made doggy paintings together. All three dogs were covered in paint and ate a lot of treats. We all had a blast. The 'art' is on display in our lounge room still. It has hair, dirt, slobber and paw prints on it and they are as precious to me as any family portrait.

Probably not many people go into the photography thread so I would like to blow Rainers trumpet. Rainers posted this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/253308-our-old-boy-ryan/

ETA: US Publisher Alpine Publications are having 'Old Dog Month' in recognition of old dogs. You can send in a photo & get a voucher, they publish non fiction dog & horse books. There are details on their facebook page :)

Edited by trifecta

I can't post pics of the event at present but on my girl's last morning we all went out into the backyard and in the winter sun made doggy paintings together. All three dogs were covered in paint and ate a lot of treats. We all had a blast. The 'art' is on display in our lounge room still. It has hair, dirt, slobber and paw prints on it and they are as precious to me as any family portrait.

Oh I love that idea!