What To Look For In A Reputable Breeder?

snusnu95

I grew up with parents that were registered (and ethical) breeders, so i learnt at an early age to take time, do your research first and go to a proper breeder if you want a healthy purebred and they also they taught me with my first childhood (well early teens) dog to find one at a rescue organisation. So i was blessed to have been educated by them not to impulse buy. So all my dogs since have been from dog rescue organizations or registered breeders ;)

Hope you can educate your Mother in your situation. Goodluck ! ;)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

The person is my mother

She can do it your way and end up with a dog you will care for or she can do it her way and potentially end up with a poodle that's blind at 5 and epileptic. I've seen it happen. How can she think a blind poodle is "fine" confused.gif

If you're going to have to care for this dog for potentially the next 20 years, it seems to me that you should be getting what YOU want.

What's really scary is that the dog from the breeder that health tests will probably cost LESS than the petshop one.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'll be moving out in the next 5 or so years so I dont have to look after it then, I will try to help but it's a mistake she can make and I will have no part.

Weve made this mistake before and it looks as if she will do it again. I dont think an ethical breeder will sell me a pup so quickly :/ if all else fails I will wait till after Xmas and rescue since a huge number of dogs come in after Xmas

Our now deceased poodle was a BYB dog (we got her when I was 5) and she started to go blind at around 7. She coped well and her slipping kneecaps werent an issue. We were exceedingly lucky.

For who? I imagine she would have been in some pain.

She probably was. It wasn't intense though, it was bad I'll admit it but it could've been a lot worse. I was young though and she died a while ago so I don't really remember. But I want to avoid those slipping kneecaps and blindness if I can.

Maybe I'm mistaken as I don't know a whole lot about poodles, but I would think it would be possible to source a well-bred poodle puppy by February?

You could be extremely lucky. I know at least one example of someone coming onto this forum and having a puppy within a month or so.

I would be going to shows and contacting breeders now. If not, rescue is great option too.

Make yourself a smart purchaser .For some reason people see buying a dog not as important when researching like other life long products/items.

Any dog whether pure or cross can come with issues but understanding what is out there & seeing what varying breeders do to avoid health issues is a great start.

Sadly not all breeds are blessed with testing that gives a straight out answer so breeders can only use the resources they have wisely

very difficult, some people can refuse to understand - it becomes choice after a while (some ignorance is because of lack of knowledge, some is because of refusal to accept knowledge).

If you are in a position that you need to get a pup in a short time frame, perhaps you can expand your criteria - be it colour, gender or geography.

It would be tough starting from scratch when you dont have a relationship with a breeder, but I am sure that if you demonstrate everything that a responsible breeder is looking for (good home, commitment, willingness to learn and love) then I imagine that if they had a pup available then they would let you have it.

It is possible that there arent a lot of litters available over summer, and that most pups are already spoken for, but I dont understand why some have a perception that if someone is looking for a pup now/ASAP it means they are irresponsible. Some people dont like being without a dog, and some people do research quietly and then when they decide, they are ready then.

Not saying that rushing out and wanting one NOW (and if I cant have a good one, I will take anything - so a petshop becomes acceptable) attitude is good. It is not.

But for example when I wanted a sheltie I was very keen to get one. I was in a good position because I was raised in a home that bred and showed shelties and knew the breed intimately. I really wanted a blue, but as expected it was possible/probable that it could involve a wait of a year or more. Temperament is everything to me and I love an outgoing confident dog. But I also like a bit of pretty, so the wait could have been even longer :-) I had my feelers out and in the meantime saw an add on DOL for a sable. It was a breeder I knew 30 years ago so gave him a call and 2 days later Kennedy was home. Yes it was amazingly fast from first call to pup being home, but I had the benefit of knowing the breed, knowing his line (albiet the dogs I knew were 6 generations back), and him remembering me (so he was more than happy for me to have one). So from having a preference for a blue bitch, I now have a sable dog - but gosh, I have the most amazing temperament, quite a bit of glamour (pity about the heavy ears :D ) and a companion I hope to have for 15 years.

So the message of my ramble is to demonstrate you have done your homework, and never compramise on what is vital, but other things are flexible.

Edited by BDJ

She just wants a pet and doesn't care how she gets it which is an incredibly frustrating attitude. I want to take my time but it's not up to me. Maybe a breeder will convince her to slow down. I was going to go to a dog show but ended up not doing so because it's raining today and I don't feel like driving for two hours at night in the rain. But yes, anyways we're going to MyFlair tomorrow so hopefully the breeder will like us and my mother will like the breeder.

She just wants a pet and doesn't care how she gets it which is an incredibly frustrating attitude. I want to take my time but it's not up to me. Maybe a breeder will convince her to slow down. I was going to go to a dog show but ended up not doing so because it's raining today and I don't feel like driving for two hours at night in the rain. But yes, anyways we're going to MyFlair tomorrow so hopefully the breeder will like us and my mother will like the breeder.

Didn't end up raining at the show :thumbsup: There is another 2 next weekend at Durack if your interested in going Friday 5pm start & Sat 4pm start. Few poodles entered in all 3 sizes :)

Mum ended up placing a deposit at the breeder we went to because like I said, rush rush rush. We also adopted an 8 year old poodle named Natasha. The breeder gave her to a woman when she retired Tash and the woman abused her so she's a bit timid but loves me :)

Interestingly Natasha is the great-grandmother of the puppy we're going to get as well. :) We ended up going with MyFlair poodles. The puppy's father and Natasha's grandson is a beautiful dog.