What Breeds Have You Had. . .

Blackdogs

I lost my Australian Cattle Dog when she was 17 years old. The night before I had her put to sleep (unknown liver tumour ruptured) she stole and consumed half a loaf of bread without us realising. And the plastic bag.

Oh and I had to keep her on leash for her last 12 months as she was deaf as a post and would sprint down the beach like a bloody whippet!

Great dog :)

All of my Rotties - Woosie, Blossom, Rastus, Shadow, Punkin, Dexter, and Connor all went to the Bridge way before I wanted them to. Woosie was the oldest when she passed at nearly 12 years old... and even though her arthritis had thrown a clot to her spine and paralysed her back end on her final day, she was still wanting to chase a tennis ball...

My Crossbreeds have fared somewhat better, but I think that is down to luck as much as anything else (like proper diet, regular exercise, etc) - Zeddy is 14 now and still tries to play zoomies... lol!

T.

I have a 13 year old Dalmatian, Its been the last 12 months or so that he has really slowed down. Now he pretty much sleeps all the time, and is a bit cranky with the new puppy I have just bought home.

The old boy has a couch in the man-cave... and all his food and water there as well. So he pretty much sleeps the day away while he waits for my Husband to come home from work and I keep the puppy away so not to stress him too much.

Most of my dogs have passed away for various reasons before they reach real old age unfortunately.

My Lab though has reached 10 and he started slowly down last year. He's going blind, deaf and has cancer but he's still happy.

My first border collie passed 7 weeks before her 15th birthday. Middle dog in sig pic at 14 yrs & 2 or 3 days. I always regret not being there for her last birthday but had a wedding in Qld at that time. She developed dementia, was deaf & going blind. Was so sad as she was my heart dog.

My son's mixed breed dog passed 2 weeks after her 12th birthday. She was a biggish dog at 31 kg.

33bfc9a3-5f24-4577-b431-1ec4e35f4d3a_zps29628d5b.jpg

This pic was taken on 9.9.09 at 9.09am. when she was 5 weeks shy of 9 years old. :)

ETA: All my previous dogs were cross breeds & lived around 12 - 13yrs

Edited by luvsdogs

Lets see...

Max our purebred Boxer died at 11 from brain cancer. He was active and happy right till the end, although he did start to show signs of dementia type behaviour right near the end.

Our two littermate mutts (Chi x JRT x Maltese x.whatever else...:laugh:) died within a few months of each other, at age 17.

Chip, the boy had brain cancer and went downhill fairly quickly once the meds stopped working, Belle the girl went blind and deaf and was PTS when she started losing her way around the house etc. (she was also showing sings of dementia).

My OH's Amstaff died at 12, he had some gut issues which were treated and then he died in his sleep.

Our two now are both 5 and still pups in their heads :)

Edited by Aussie3

I think it is an individual thing rather than a breed thing. I have had a sheltie old at 8years old and currently have a 13yr old that is a hoon. She has to be locked up when we play ball or something really active like that as she still thinks she is a pup and ends up hurting herself racing round

Hank made about 12, not sure if exact age because he was a stray. Started with arthritis at 8 and the last 6 months were tough for him but I think we only went about two days overtime. It's so hard in those situations to know when the right time is. He was hardly grey and healthy in every other way.

Great Dane. Lymphatic cancer. Died, PTS at age 7.

Doberman. Mammary cancer. Died PTS age 10.

Chihuahua. Aging signs at about 13. Died age 16.

Chihuahua. Aging signs at about 11. Died age 13.

Poodle. Aging/dementia/problems at age 11. Died age 12.

Poodle. Bad byb, big mess/health issues from age 3. PTS age 10.

Poodle almost 12 now. Slowed down about a year ago but still eager for the girls on heat.

No health issues apart from lack of speed but still active, just runs slower.

Several chihuahuas - slowed down around 12 - 14, but lived 4-6 years after that, at a more sedate pace!

Shitzu - slowed down at 14, PTS with cancer at 16.5 (but still had lots of interest in living, would have gone on longer if not for the big C.)

10869843054_a6bf9b16b6.jpgPhoto 1 - 2013-11-16 by -clover_elvis-

The two on the right are still batshit crazy and turned 10 last month. No real health problems for the girl dog, but her brother has shonky knee's. He should be taking it easy but doesn't.

Girl dog is showing no signs of maturing anytime soon, she hasn't really slowed down a lot either (although does not chase birds up the beach like she used to).

9256007264_08e0e52762.jpgPhoto 1 - 2013-07-10 by -clover_elvis-

The BRD was pts 1 week after her 13th birthday. She should have been with me much longer. But there was nothing we could do to "fix" her when she tore the cruciate in her good knee :(. It happened way to quickly.

Ageing signs began at about 10 when she tore the first cruciate. Up til then she was still competing at flyball and running around like a fool.

Edited by Clover