Worming A Small Puppy

Kirislin

My puppy weighs 3.6kg and the smallest tablets do a 10kg dog. I can break it up but I've been told to round up to the nearest 5kgs. It means giving her half a tablet. She's so little I worry about overdosing her. Does anyone know if it will be safe for sure to give her a 5kg dose? I'm a worry wart about this tiny girl I know. :o

You could get some Canex puppy worming syrup... or if you go the tablet route half of a Canex or Fenpral worming tablet will be easier on her than Drontal.

I don't use Drontal on young pups - seen a few die from complications from the nasty stuff. Then again, most of the pups I've seen it have adverse affects on are rescue pups with decent worm loads...

T.

Guest donatella

I have this problem with mine who weighs 2.9kg. I give her 1/4 tablet as she's only just over the quarter but would be interested to hear if/when I can round it up.

I have this problem with mine who weighs 2.9kg. I give her 1/4 tablet as she's only just over the quarter but would be interested to hear if/when I can round it up.

I broke it in half but it came out slightly uneven so I gave her the smaller peice for now and when she's next due I'll give her the bigger one.

Maybe with your pup you can give her the 1/4 and then another 1/8th

I was always told it's better to over dose than under dose as otherwise it won't be effective. The safety margin would be large I could imagine anyway, I would give the pup the half a table as it's the correct amount anyway.

If the pup is healthy and has been getting regular worming, then a larger dose won't hurt - maybe at worst will make for a bit of yukky sloppy poop for a day or so.

At 3.9kgs, and as physically immaculate as Neko is - the half tablet won't muck her about at all. If she had a large worm burden, and wasn't as well cared for as she is, then I'd recommend trying to get as close to an exact measured dose for her as possible.

T.

You could get some Canex puppy worming syrup... or if you go the tablet route half of a Canex or Fenpral worming tablet will be easier on her than Drontal.

I don't use Drontal on young pups - seen a few die from complications from the nasty stuff. Then again, most of the pups I've seen it have adverse affects on are rescue pups with decent worm loads...

T.

The worming suspensions are useless and can also be easily inhaled causing pneumonia. They are really only meant for for the first one or two wormings of newborns but they don't work anyway. Stick to tablets and a 5kgs does is fine for 3.5kg puppy.

T.

The worming suspensions are useless and can also be easily inhaled causing pneumonia. They are really only meant for for the first one or two wormings of newborns but they don't work anyway. Stick to tablets and a 5kgs does is fine for 3.5kg puppy.

agreed and if you have a litter you are better off waiting an extra week and using a part tablet from the first time you worm them

It's OK I've used the tablet. She was wormed with syrup when she was at the breeders and smaller but she's over 4 months old now so I'mve changed to tablets. I did it yesterday and she seems fine. Thankyou everyone for your advice though.