Clip Or No Clip?

HugUrPup

Leave it long or make it short?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Leave it long or make it short?

• yes, it's going to be hot and she isn't in show anyway
    • No, she's a spaniel for goodness sake.. leave it alone.

I am a groomer & we clip plenty of Cavs off,not what i would personally do & e inform owners of there options but in the end if owners don't hand strip them then in all fairness to the dogs there better clipped than matted & in the end you can argue insulation till the cows come home but its not going to affect dogs in this country & given what many groomers see i would sooner dogs be clipped regularly .

All the ones we clip are purely for owners convenience but we generally still leave the top coat if its a good one & you can scissor the underbelly & pants to make it look like a puppy again.

Rarely does it make them cooler in summer when clipped off but it makes the owners happier most just want no brushing & less hair around the house

To me the dog looks like it has stacks of dead coat there BUT there is also ways of grooming so it still looks like a Cavie not making it look like rubbish .

Edited by showdog

My CKCS gets a trim around the feet and I trim a bit of her ear hair when it gets all scraggly but the rest I leave alone ... She had Luxating Patella surgery just over 3 1/2 months ago and they shaved her whole flank and it's just grown back, you can still see a bit where they shaved but it looks good now.

After reading about clipping a dogs belly to keep them cool it made me wonder....

One of my shibas actually sheds all of the hair on his belly and inner legs every summer. He is also the one who prefers to bake on hot concrete in the sun all day. (sometimes upside down on his back :o ) I'm guessing this is how he stays cool? (he gets a belly tan :laugh: )

*my dog is weird, part 73...*

See how her coat recovers before doing any more damage by clipping right back again...

T.

You haven't done any damage by clipping.

The hair grows from follicles deep in the layers of the skin. Clipping only chops it off on the surface & cannot affect the follicles or growth at all.

If you like it clipped & find it easier then clip it. Of course it will be cooler.

See how her coat recovers before doing any more damage by clipping right back again...

T.

You haven't done any damage by clipping.

The hair grows from follicles deep in the layers of the skin. Clipping only chops it off on the surface & cannot affect the follicles or growth at all.

If you like it clipped & find it easier then clip it. Of course it will be cooler.

I scissor trim my cavs and when they go to the groomers they also get a scissor trim but what you are saying sort of makes sense to me. My hair doesn't change in texture when it's cut short, why would my dogs hair change in texture? My son had long hair and had a buzz cut, when it grew the texture was no different to the way it had been before the buzz cut.

I understand that the hair may not sit or lie the same way after clipping but that doesn't change the texture of the hair.

Don't clip her, she will deal with the heat better with a "normal" coat which has insulating properties.

Buy a Coat King (google)22 or 20 blade and run that through her coat a couple of times a week, until you thin her coat to something you like and can live with. Clip the hair behind her ears to stop pin knots forming.

The dog will look better than it would clipped, it will be less work, and a Coat King will last for years.

My Lucy looked kinda fluffy like your pic. I stripped her by hand - took ages but it was well worth it. It got rid of all the fluffy. I never understand why people with Cavs would want to clip them. They are just beautiful as is :love:

I also don't understand when people say "My dog is so much cooler when I clip" :confused: How would you know that? lol!

Don't clip her, she will deal with the heat better with a "normal" coat which has insulating properties.

Buy a Coat King (google)22 or 20 blade and run that through her coat a couple of times a week, until you thin her coat to something you like and can live with. Clip the hair behind her ears to stop pin knots forming.

The dog will look better than it would clipped, it will be less work, and a Coat King will last for years.

Ok, I haven't seen one of those before. Her coat is kind of stringy, I could probably scissor it with thinners.

Edited by HugUrPup

We have 3 cavs - coats clipped off super short every 10 weeks. As we don't show them it doesn't matter - and they still look gorgeous by the way - all sleek and shiny. We are on acreage and we used to be constantly looking for grass seeds etc in ears, feet and coats, brushing out the bits they'd picked up and washing off the mud. They go in an out 24/7 via the doggy door so are never made to stay outside in the cold or heat and usually pile into the one dog bed together anyway (or the sofa, despite there being a bed for each.

People may ask why get a dog with a long coat and then clip it off - well because you can't beat them for temperament and those soft brown eyes !!

My Lucy looked kinda fluffy like your pic. I stripped her by hand - took ages but it was well worth it. It got rid of all the fluffy. I never understand why people with Cavs would want to clip them. They are just beautiful as is :love:

I also don't understand when people say "My dog is so much cooler when I clip" :confused: How would you know that? lol!

I clip ours, I don't really have much of a choice as they both get pretty wooly otherwise

You can tell if your dog is cooler after a clip, a lot of people will notice on warmer days that their dog is more active and is not flaked out on a cold tiled floor for hours at a time.

Guest donatella

I can't work out now don is that Lucy or Bonnie ? Very cute!

That's Lucy! I got her clipped, over her hair, she loves it and is running around like I'm freeeee. I'm keeping Bon in her coat :p

Im hoping you visit this again so you see this reply!

Did you strip it with a stripping knife as you would a terrier? or?

Clip her! My terrier x has a thick double coat when it's grown all the way out, and during summer/warmer weather he is just miserable until I clip it. Lags on walks, sleeps on tiles instead of the bed, etc. When he's clipped, he is far more comfortable and active. :) Same with the Bichon, though that's a far cry from a Cav coat.