The Problem With Fake Service Dogs

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is this person? Where is her website? Please someone put me out of my misery and pm me her website addy.

Google italian greyhound service dog...

Thanks. A couple of people have pm'd me the info. After seeing a large pic of said person that nearly blinded me it's all probably more than I ever needed to know.

Who is this person? Where is her website? Please someone put me out of my misery and pm me her website addy.

Thanks. A couple of people have pm'd me the info. After seeing a large pic of said person that nearly blinded me it's all probably more than I ever needed to know.

Sounds like you might need a service dog now. Maybe you could get some tips from said person. :)

OMG! saw website (via google, thanks).

Personality disorder?

Multiple businesses sponsoring, too? inc. BlackDog Wear? frown.gif

What on earth is wrong with an Assistance Dog ID card?

Doesn't have to state what the service dog is for, only description of dog and owner to show it's all legit.

Would be benefit to all.

:rofl: yes I felt the same way

OMG! saw website (via google, thanks).

Personality disorder?

Multiple businesses sponsoring, too? inc. BlackDog Wear? frown.gif

What on earth is wrong with an Assistance Dog ID card?

Doesn't have to state what the service dog is for, only description of dog and owner to show it's all legit.

Would be benefit to all.

But there is already one?

• 4 weeks later...

Most, if not all assistance dog organisations give their recipients ID cards with pictures of the person and the dog. QLD also has a government ID card.

Even though legally the cards are recognised in all states and territories, I really feel like a national ID card would be better and less complicated.

I have a service dog, I have a seizure disorder and he alerts me to when a seizure is coming.

ive had several rude people coming up to me saying im not disabled and don't need an assistance dog.

before damascaus I couldn't leave the house, now we can do everything

atm we are training damascaus replacement church.

damascaus is fully qualified and certified and church has just started but passed public access test.

I have a service dog, I have a seizure disorder and he alerts me to when a seizure is coming.

ive had several rude people coming up to me saying im not disabled and don't need an assistance dog.

before damascaus I couldn't leave the house, now we can do everything

atm we are training damascaus replacement church.

damascaus is fully qualified and certified and church has just started but passed public access test.

sorry, can you please clarify what you mean here, I dont understand.

sorry damascaus is my current dog but due to age will be retiring soon

church (a flat coat retriever) will be replacing him.

damascaus was certified by aussie angles assistance dogs and mind dogs, should be denied access to a shop and press charges I can prove that damascaus is essential to my wellbeing.

whilst there is no current service dog test or any form of id required (im in nsw) due to the number of fake dogs weve had problems getting access (in particular westfields Parramatta) aussie angels helped me press charges under the disability act .

sorry damascaus is my current dog but due to age will be retiring soon

church (a flat coat retriever) will be replacing him.

damascaus was certified by aussie angles assistance dogs and mind dogs, should be denied access to a shop and press charges I can prove that damascaus is essential to my wellbeing.

whilst there is no current service dog test or any form of id required (im in nsw) due to the number of fake dogs weve had problems getting access (in particular westfields Parramatta) aussie angels helped me press charges under the disability act .

While there's no specific "ID card" in particular required, you do need to prove that you have a disability and that the dog is trained to mitigate the disability and behave to an acceptable level in public access situations. An ID card can go a long way towards this and it makes life easier for everyone.

Edited by Baby Dragon

actually all people are allowed to ask is that a service dog and how does he assist you in your disability.

it is illegal and demeaning to be asked to prove your service dog is a service dog, your private medical condition is between you and your doctor and the service dog is not a performing monkey, he doesn't do tricks he does an important medical job.

I carry a letter from my doctor saying he is essential but doesn't reveal any medical info

the public access test (we sit every year) and the disability laws.

actually all people are allowed to ask is that a service dog and how does he assist you in your disability.

it is illegal and demeaning to be asked to prove your service dog is a service dog, your private medical condition is between you and your doctor and the service dog is not a performing monkey, he doesn't do tricks he does an important medical job.

I carry a letter from my doctor saying he is essential but doesn't reveal any medical info

the public access test (we sit every year) and the disability laws.

It sounds like you may be quoting USA laws there.

Australian laws are quite different, and the Australian Disability Discrimination Act was changed a few years ago to state that you do need to prove that you have a disability (although you don't necessarily need to specify what the disability is) and that the Assistance Dog is trained to certain standards.

If you can't prove certain things as stated in the Australian DDA, a public establishment can legally kick you out.

Disability Discrimination Act 1992

That's why the QLD Assistance Dog card system is so good - it covers those things and can easily be used as proof. A national card would be even better IMO.

Edited by Baby Dragon

verbal identification is enough since Australia doesn't have a standard and vests can be bought on the internet they are pretty useless.

a doctors note saying the dog is required is enough.

there is no standard a service dog has to be trained to, public access test isn't mandatory in any state (yet) but they cant ask you to demonstrate your service dog in action.

a national standard system with id would be great.

verbal identification is enough since Australia doesn't have a standard and vests can be bought on the internet they are pretty useless.

a doctors note saying the dog is required is enough.

there is no standard a service dog has to be trained to, public access test isn't mandatory in any state (yet) but they cant ask you to demonstrate your service dog in action.

a national standard system with id would be great.

Much of the information you have is incorrect and this is greatly disturbing since you say you're currently using an "assistance dog."

Part of the process of receiving a legitimate assistance dog is being educated on the current laws in Australia. It saddens me when people misquote them and still continue to work a dog in public :(

You are correct that a doctor's note saying that you have a disability as covered under the DDA is considered proof of disability.

You are incorrect that verbal assurance of training is enough and that there is no standard that an assistance dog has to be trained to in order to legally have public access rights.

Have you read the link I posted to the Australian Disability Discrimination Act? Have a read of it, it explains a lot. If there's something you don't understand, give the Human Rights Commission a call and ask them about it.

It's important that you understand your rights and responsibilities if working an assistance dog in public, for your benefit and for the benefit of the people at the location you're accessing with your dog.

Edited by Baby Dragon

im very familiar with the DDA LAWS, having read them several times and taken shop owners to court over refusing access.

the only requirement dda say

the animal is trained to meet standards of hygiene and behaviour that are appropriate for an animal in a public place.

because a dog dosnt pee on things in a shop dosnt pull on a lead pretty much means its capable of passing the public access test which is a pretty low standard I know service dogs who are unable to pass basic ccd level of obedience but are considered trained enough to be service dogs due to passing the public access test (which there is also no legal requirement to pass it just makes court easier). no where does dda list requirements of training.

no where in the law does it say the dog must be identified by the form of visual identification (ie vest) verbal communication is perfectly satisfactory though the use of visual aids like a vest prevent some embarrassing encounters.

im very familiar with the DDA LAWS, having read them several times and taken shop owners to court over refusing access.

the only requirement dda say

the animal is trained to meet standards of hygiene and behaviour that are appropriate for an animal in a public place.

because a dog dosnt pee on things in a shop dosnt pull on a lead pretty much means its capable of passing the public access test which is a pretty low standard I know service dogs who are unable to pass basic ccd level of obedience but are considered trained enough to be service dogs due to passing the public access test (which there is also no legal requirement to pass it just makes court easier). no where does dda list requirements of training.

no where in the law does it say the dog must be identified by the form of visual identification (ie vest) verbal communication is perfectly satisfactory though the use of visual aids like a vest prevent some embarrassing encounters.

Please read the DDA sections pertaining to Assistance Animals, as it's obvious you're mistaking some overseas laws for Australian laws, when our laws are very different. If you're not sure, like I said, give the Human Rights Commission a call. They were extremely helpful to me many years ago when I started out with my first Assistance Dog and again when the DDA changed and stricter regulations were added.

Some of the statements you've made (eg verbal identification is enough and there is no standard that an Assistance Dog must be trained to) are extremely worrying and if you're truly taking a dog into public places and claiming it to be an "assistance dog" then you really should know the laws. Otherwise you may be making public access even more difficult for people with legitimate assistance dogs who are abiding by the laws and regulations.

You are correct in that part of assistance dog training is being sure they meet appropriate standards of behaviour and hygiene for being in a public place. This falls under standards that assistance dogs must be trained to (and conflicts with your prior statement that there are no standards that assistance dogs need to be trained to to be covered under the DDA.)

What it comes down to is that it's every handler's responsibility to know the laws when they're handling an assistance dog in public. Assistance dog handlers do have rights, but there are also responsibilities, and some people seem to forget this fact. If you truly are taking a dog into public and relying solely on verbal assurances ("yes this is my assistance dog") while providing no proof whatsoever of the dog's training, then you are not covered under the DDA and your dog is not considered an assistance dog under Australian law, therefore you should not be claiming it as such.

I'm not saying these things to be nasty - I know it can be confusing, but there are services out there to help, and it really does make sense to know the laws and your responsibilities if you are going to claim public access rights under those laws.

If you choose to ignore them, that's your choice, but you will find it very difficult in the long run.

Edited by Baby Dragon

it is illegal and demeaning to be asked to prove your service dog is a service dog

This seems to be something that would make it easy for anyone with a dog to say its a service dog so they can take it wherever they want whenever they want.

I'd like that - tho not keen to have dogs walking on surfaces that need to be kept hygienically clean eg food prep areas.

But at the moment - dogs are excluded from many many places, so I think it's only fair that people who want access anywhere - carry some sort of government provided id. A bit like a drivers licence. And it should state what the basic standards are for an assistance dog - eg not peeing on stuff or destroying other people's property.

I agree that the why of it - isn't generally necessary - tho it's nice if people who need assistance - make known the nature of it enough that people can be helpful or considerate - the way that people with allergies tell restaurants what they need.