The Problem With Fake Service Dogs

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the ID would most likely distinguish what kind of disability the people have, and some people would prefer to not have all and sundry know that they have a mental disability for example.

Besides, if the accreditation papers can be faked, and the leads, coats, etc can be faked - the ID's would most likely be easily faked also... and making the legitimate people jump through even more hoops than they already do.

T.

Well, I am sure a driver's licence could be faked, too, but there are appropriate penalties and it is hopefully a rare thing?

Either way, I agree that not having your disability on the ID would be good but I don't think the ID in itself would be a bad idea. It would at least give shop owners etc a way to check that the dog that is acting like a real ass is not an actual certified dog, rather than just making him resent the fact that he has to allow it inside to piss all over his furniture and make other customers uncomfortable.

I don't think most people would be bothered by a well behaved dog anyway (I take my

Wei into most of the shops in our town and she is not wearing anything but a plain collar, so clearly NOT an assistance dog, but nobody has ever had a problem with her coming in) but as usual, it's the assholes wrecking it for everybody and at the moment, you have no way of telling who is legit. Leaving it up to people's decency not to do this is laughable, at the least.

The one with the Italian Greyhound is a fraud, nothing more and people should seriously think twice before handing over any money.

Agreed!

ETA: She's just been donated $405 in the last 19 days! Absolute rip-off. We all have to pay for our own dogs teeth to be cleaned, why can't she!!!!

On this, I just saw that the Vet work was done pretty much for free by the vet, and a pet crisis place donated funds as well ... so I guess the donations from people towards his Vet Care just went into her pocket.

Shouldn't be surprised as she's always been this way.

I can remember her wish list for dog jammies, dog collars, etc to be bought for her by the public, and I can't believe people did. She is a taker, that's for sure!!

Edited by iggy mum