How Do You Pronounce 'cairn' As In Terrier?

Simply Grand

Hehe, korbin on the US forum I saw (where some of them apparently have Karen Terriers :laugh: ) someone commented that they'd been to Aus and had been pronouncing Cairns as CAREns (in an American accent with the R), he said he was told it's actually Cannes (which is CARn in Aussie...and French). I thought about posting "Nah mate it's CANS"

Hehe, korbin on the US forum I saw (where some of them apparently have Karen Terriers :laugh: ) someone commented that they'd been to Aus and had been pronouncing Cairns as CAREns (in an American accent with the R), he said he was told it's actually Cannes (which is CARn in Aussie...and French). I thought about posting "Nah mate it's CANS"

Hahah that would have been quite funny :)

I've always called them Cairn as in the city without the "s" :o So many advantages of having a Greyhound, not only do they not get confused with other breeds it's hard to stuff the name up :)

Edited by HazyWal

HazyWal, me too, I think that's what we're all agreeing is correct :)

We've actually only had one Greyhound during the four months I've worked at the shelter, we all agree that she's a Greyhound, pronounced Grey Hound, and she's just lovely :love:

Oh is she still there? Hope she finds a home soon :)

I wonder how they pronounce Cairns :D

The town of Cairns isn't a good example because a lot of people pronounce it CANz :laugh:

Oh I do :confused: Is that boganish? Oh well you know the old saying...you can take the girl out of Gosford and all that :laugh:

That pile of rocks you find marking the top of a hill - is a Cairn - care n

I thought the QLD town was "cans" but but I tend to pronounce it the same way as I say the dog breed name. I'm from SA. We've got our own set of regional pronounciation challenges. My fave tho is the name of the cricket oval in Canberra (or just Canberra), "Manuka" - Mah! nee kar. Which is not the same as the way Kiwis say the name of their honey, Man noo! ka .

Spelt same, said different.