Good Family Dog, But Also Guard Dog

bossyboo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww..Clyde - :D

Rotties do , like any dog ..need the right owner and attention/training to get to that stage .Their genetics are a huge help .. but the lifestyle is paramount .

OMG Clyde the best photos to melt your heart :love: The most gorgeous couple ever. And best friends for life.

I totally agree pers. You do need the right owners who can provide the right living conditions and stimulation. My three Rotties were totally different.

Baylee was a gentle soul who loved to work and please you. She adored kids and would do their every command. She loved to be with her people.

Dee is a totally different girl. Loves to work, but not as confident as her brother (same sire and dam). However, she has a huge prey drive and will chase anything that moves, animals and children alike. She requires escape proof fencing, strong confident leadership, calm direction and reassurance.

Zeph is more like Baylee in that he loves to work and please you, loves children, but can be drivey like Dee, so needs to have hands on supervision around children. Loves people, which is why he is a great therapy dog. However, he is an arrogant confident sod who will use every opportunity to stick his middle finger up at you and do as he pleases. He is a great problem solver and escape artist, who requires a lot of stimulation, exercise and firm leadership.

They are all inside dogs. They spend time outside, but at night when the wildlife come out they are inside because they will bark and hunt. They love to be invovled in family life and go to training each week.

A Rottweiler is not a dog that you just put in the yard and leave it there to guard. They will become a nightmare to live with.

These are happy, well adjusted, active Rottweilers aged 11 years to 4 years

IMGP7106_zpse0c9a7a7.jpg

IMGP6527_zps1483d94d.jpg

IMGP6067_zps7081f420.jpg

IMGP5815_zpsa79af640.jpg

IMGP3188_zpsa57b0589.jpg

IMGP2073.jpg

IMGP1412.jpg

100_0367.jpg

IMGP9176.jpg

Edited by grumpette

..problem is , it appears Rotties look MUCH better in a pack!!! ;)

I often wonder what our girl would have been like if dreadful HD hadn't meant an early death at 6months old :( This was over 30 years ago ...... she was just wonderful when she wasn't in pain....

..problem is , it appears Rotties look MUCH better in a pack!!! ;)

I often wonder what our girl would have been like if dreadful HD hadn't meant an early death at 6months old :( This was over 30 years ago ...... she was just wonderful when she wasn't in pain....

pers you can never stop at one, just like M & Ms or Malteesers.

I am very sorry that your girl had HD. It is so heartbreaking when they have chronic illnesses and constant pain :(

If I was to move to acreage and wanted a dog for security, I'd be looking at a LGD of some kind.

A friend of mine has recently added a Tibetan Mastiff to the family. They are traditional guardians of women and children. She is blown away by the breed. :)

I'll have Zephyr and Fire please... stunning smiles...

T.

The perfect pairing T.

These two get on so well together. They have a very similar play style, but unlike Flint, Zeph will not take any of Fire's shit, so she behaves better with him and does not drag him around by his ears. Poor Flint has a bit of a hard time with Fire attached to his ear or face all the time, but he is so easy going and does not care. :thumbsup:

If I was to move to acreage and wanted a dog for security, I'd be looking at a LGD of some kind.

A friend of mine has recently added a Tibetan Mastiff to the family. They are traditional guardians of women and children. She is blown away by the breed. :)

I have to say that I do have a soft spot for casowner's Azure and Wolff. They are magnificant dogs :D

I have to say that I do have a soft spot for casowner's Azure and Wolff. They are magnificant dogs :D

Agree. You'd need the right circumstances and home for one but they are amazing animals.

Agree. You'd need the right circumstances and home for one but they are amazing animals.

Thanks :) I haven't come in to recommend them because I don't think they are right in this situation, the CAS is in my heart and soul. Azure and Wolff are polar opposites, Azure is the hunter and Wolff the stoic defender. I have never met a more stable dog as Wolff and it is a big call for me to say this but he is much better than Jake was in the way that Wolff does not make reactive mistakes. All of his reactions are done with precision and timing, I just love him. While I adore Azure she will be my one and only ASD, they are not the breed that I see in my future

Wolff is 6 1/2 months and a very big boy, he will be having his first show at the end of the month that will be interesting

post-23033-0-96398900-1388554408_thumb.jpg

post-23033-0-70922000-1388554546_thumb.gif

post-23033-0-28723000-1388554593_thumb.gif

This is from my facebook page the other night "I just re learned the benefits of owning LGD's, I just went out for my usual late night cuddle and was sitting back on the bench with my head rested on the window. Azure standing up with two front legs on the seat with her head nuzzled into my neck with Wolff sitting up close facing me having his ear rubbed when all of a sudden Wolff leaped up and hit the window. I jumped up and turned to see the biggest MFing spider I have even seen right next to where my head was. Azure and Wolff then proceeded to beat it to death with their paws, Wolff then picked it up and took it to the far end of the yard and then came back to resume their cuddle"

Edited by casowner

Poor Flint has a bit of a hard time with Fire attached to his ear or face all the time, but he is so easy going and does not care. :thumbsup:

How funny. It must be that I have a soft feeling for the "underdog" because I was going to say, Flint for me. I love the big square heads Rotties. :laugh: :laugh:

What's with the "F" thing. I was dreaming a little while ago about having a Rottie in my old [er] age to plod around the neighbourhood with me and I was playing with the names Flirt and Flaunt. :D :D :D

Edited by Danny's Darling