Failed The Doggy Iq Test

curly

HAs anyone seen the IQ test for dogs in todays paper? You do all these simple tests and see how long it takes your dog to figure it out.

I'm proud to say my poodles are dismal failures!

I tried the 'put the treat under a soup can' one. Dog 1 sniffed the can and walked away. Dogs 2 & 3 didn't even go that far. They aren't allowed to take random treats, you see.

'Put a towel over the head and see how long it takes to get it off'. Right. He's still walking around with a towel over his head. He likes it. He likes ribbons and hats, too.

'Put them in a sit-stay, say Refigerator' and see what happens. They look at the fridge.

Obviously, the test is designed for average dogs, not weird ones.

HAs anyone seen the IQ test for dogs in todays paper? You do all these simple tests and see how long it takes your dog to figure it out.

I tried the 'put the treat under a soup can' one. Dog 1 sniffed the can and walked away. Dogs 2 & 3 didn't even go that far. They aren't allowed to take random treats, you see.

'Put a towel over the head and see how long it takes to get it off'. Right. He's still walking around with a towel over his head. He likes it. He likes ribbons and hats, too.

'Put them in a sit-stay, say Refigerator' and see what happens. They look at the fridge.

:rofl:

...ahhh they sound very smart - to totally ignore silly tests ;)

I don't know, these tests are always in the papers, so they must be accurate, eh? They always fail. Must be all that training. At least if I tell them to find something, they usually do. "Go get the yellow teddy, it's under the kitchen table" Works every time!

Thanks, Swifty! Yep, IQ failures or not, they're clever mutts. Sometimes I think one of those dumb, boring dogs would be nice, but then... at least they're entertaining! My poor boy isn't happy today. Every time I move he has to heave himself to his feet, pick up his favourite teddy, and follow me. All he wants is a nap.

:laugh:

Tell ya what, this test is the funniest thing ever. I highly recommend wasting the day testing your dogs. The towel over the head is the best. My lot are walking around with towels and hats on. They can't see, but they're quite happy!

I think mine would kill the towel.

I don't think she knows what "fridge" means but she responds to the sound of a yogurt tub lid being removed - from 50m.

I use tin cans to prevent counter surfing so she might leave that one alone but she happily beats up the bob a lot to get food out.

I don't think she knows what "fridge" means but she responds to the sound of a yogurt tub lid being removed - from 50m.

Do you let them lick the lid clean? Mine think this is the best thing ever!

I do if it's got yogurt on it. Mostly with the Margaret River variety - it sets so thick in the pot, the lid is clean. But I usually give her a few spoonfuls when I have some - ie brekky time. She does love it, and it's her main source of calcium since she doesn't usually eat bones properly.

My dogs would just say, to it all, 'You've got a lot of time on your hands. So instead of playing silly beggars with towels, how about a cuddle?'

Ask any question & that's their response. Their favourite is if someone mouths 'I love you!', they fly across the room into their arms. Does lip-reading count as intelligence?

I did the can thing years ago with my two older dogs who have both since passed on. BC X stayed sitting and made no attempt to look at the can or show any interest in it whatsoever. ACD went straight to the can and immediately tipped it over at which point BC X came flying in quick as a flash, grabbed the treat and took off with it. So which one is the smart dog ? :laugh:

I did the can thing years ago with my two older dogs who have both since passed on. BC X stayed sitting and made no attempt to look at the can or show any interest in it whatsoever. ACD went straight to the can and immediately tipped it over at which point BC X came flying in quick as a flash, grabbed the treat and took off with it. So which one is the smart dog ? :laugh:

:rofl: