Dog Funeral Photographed By Owners

persephone

That is lovely.

Not the same thing, but when we had to have our first dog PTS many years ago we had him cremated and we have him in a urn at home - the pet cremation place took some lovely photographs of him laid out in front of an altar on his favourite blanket. He looks so peaceful - I cherish those photographs and still look at them from time to time.

What a beautiful photo series. When we lost our old cat we buried her and planted a little lime tree over her, I was just looking at that lime tree yesterday thinking that it has suddenly doubled in size. I love that she is still around us making that tree grow so well. :)

Reminds me of losing Lakota. My ex ended up coming around to dig a deeper hole and I wrapped her in a blanket then covered her in flowers. I played amazing grace and bawled loudly while filling in her grave. Its now covered in flowers and we all sit with her often.

they're lovely photos. I bury the same way, on flowers and plants, I dont like wrapping in synthetic material. I knew a woman who wrapped her GSD in lots of thick black plastic when she buried him. I'd much rather they go back to the earth, not become a putrid soup all sealed up in plastic.

I've kept some old cotton sheets, they will be my whippets shrouds when they go.

I sure wish I could dig a hole that deep.

On a bitterley cold winters day, on a farm 13 miles from his home, my Dad's dog chased a kangaroo into a dam, and the dog was drowned. My Dad stripped down and retrieved Ringo, and then buried him near the sheep yards, choosing to use the only jumper he had with him as the shroud, then spent the rest of the day sitting beside his grave in a Tee shirt, but he needed Ringo to be warm. My Dad nearly ended up in hospital after that.

My dog Tippy is buried as close to the house as possible, so he can see through the our bedroom window. On the first cool day after his funeral, I covered him with a blanket, and put his favourite mangled duck there too- it is still there 10 months later. I don't remember doing it, but it must have been me! His hole is not that deep though!

Di

Kirislin, your post reminded me that we did the same with our childhood pets, they buried like that too, I knew that we buried them in the garden but I just remembered that we would put flowers and leaves in with them too so they would get dirt on their faces :(

I think one of the best things my mum did for my sister and me growing up (and I love her to death but she did some things not well at all) was firstly, always letting us have pets and somehow instilling that they were our pets and our responsibility so we always did do the feeding, cleaning etc and secondly, never hiding that they had died and letting us see them, touch them and be involved with the burial when they died.

It has taught me that even though they don't live as long as us they are so amazing and valuable while they are with us and that no matter how sad it is, we can accept that they die and we don't forget them but we go on and focus on the great memories.

Edited by Simply Grand