Leaving Dogs In (hot) Cars

*Avanti*

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently heard about a similar but completely unintentional situation where a dog managed to jump the fence to the neighbour's yard and got tangled up in something on a hot day. As both the owner and the neighbours were out at work all day no one found him until it was too late :( The owner was devastated.

Good.

I agree, I can't understand how anyone can think it's ok to leave a baby, child or pet in a car on a hot day. All you have to do is try it yourself and watch how quickly you sweat. To leave a defenceless animal/human in the car does my head in.

I don't like taking our dogs anywhere if it's a hot day.

Whenver we travel in the car and it's a luke warm day, the air con is turned on to such a temp that we wear jackets while the dogs are cosy in the back. Anything for their comfort. :)

Good.

I hope people take notice, I just find the fact that some still do this incomprehensible.

Mush for brains some people. And when tragedy strikes, no doubt they want to find someone else to blame.

A friend of mine called the police on someone that did this a couple of weeks ago, the response was great, the shopping centre security stayed at the car keeping a close eye on the dog to ensure it didn't get distressed and were ready to break a window if they felt it was needed and the police were waiting for the owner when they came back to the car. Great to see such a response.

Would love to have been a fly on the car when owner returned.

Good! I work in a pet store, and people are allowed to bring their dogs in, but some still leave them in cars! Not necessarily our customers, some visit the Salvation Army store that we share a carpark with, but we would happily allow a dog to be tied up outside our store (in the shade and where we provide water) rather than see a dog in a car. Now if I catch anyone doing it, I will remind them of the law.

Could you not put up a sandwich board advising people? I know some people need to be bashed over the head with information and still not get it.

ABC radio reports that 11 children were rescued from locked cars yesterday in Victoria. Unbelievable.

The parents/whoever left them should be charged with reckless endangement of life.

I struggle with joining the dots with this one. Most people who take their dogs in the car with them are generally people who care about their dogs or else they would be stuck out in the backyard doing nothing. So why the hell do they leave them a car on a hot day?!

People who leave children in the car, well, I can't even begin.

All these horror stories about dogs being left in cars or tied out in direct sun & dying of heat exposure. I can't even begin to imagine the suffering these poor things must go through in there epic struggle to survive.

Just horrifies & deeply saddens me thinking about it.....

Not to mention poor children that suffer the same torture. These owners/parents need to held very accountable & punished for such a total lack of care. It's truly despicable :mad

ABC radio reports that 11 children were rescued from locked cars yesterday in Victoria. Unbelievable.

I heard the same thing yesterday, I think I went something like this... :dropjaw:

How on earth do you justify leaving your kids in the car on a 43 degree day!

I am super, super cautious about leaving a dog in a car, because sometimes the unexplainable happens. I left 2 big dogs in my car, windows partly down, in an undercover carpark on an overcast, not hot day. When I came back one dog was totally fine, the other was foaming at the mouth, greatly distressed,wobbly and I feared for his life. He was taken directly to the vet's, across the road, cooled down and examined but no cause was determined.He had no known health issues and never had any further issues with overheating.I would never have forgiven myself if he hadn't recovered fully.

Could it be that the dog foaming at the mouth was in an anxious state therefore distressing him?

Could be for on monoxide poisoning? It actually fills up small places like cars and pushes oxygen out. Small amounts can cause poisoning. Lots of idiots in car parks who leave their cars on to warm up the engine etc when you really should exit ASAP to prevent a build up

You can get little solar powered car auto cools, I have one up here now best thing I have ever bought for my car. Before, sometimes when I opened the car door the heat blast coming out was like a furnace. I reckon I could have left a frozen chook in the car and come back to a roast dinner!

can you post a link please?

Herald Sun reports 19 children were rescued from locked cars. It was a mixture of accidental and deliberate cases.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/victorias-heatwave-19-kids-locked-in-cars/story-fni0fit3-1226802088521

I was at a children's party where, afterwards, a 3 yr old girl was accidentally locked in a car. The mother was desperate. Late afternoon weather wasn't too bad, mercifully. Different matter on a shocker of a day.

You can get little solar powered car auto cools, I have one up here now best thing I have ever bought for my car. Before, sometimes when I opened the car door the heat blast coming out was like a furnace. I reckon I could have left a frozen chook in the car and come back to a roast dinner!

can you post a link please?

Made me curious, too. Googled & found this Australian site:

http://www.kulcar.com.au/?gclid=COTuhJTDgbwCFUshpQod4z4AOA

Makes me wonder if it could also be used for other purposes than in cars.