Tea For Dogs

Podengo

So I was making a cup of (herbal) tea for myself and my partner the other night, and Elsie was following me around as usual and I jokingly commented that wouldn't it be nice if there was such thing as dog tea so that Elsie could have tea with us... My partner laughed and said there probably is such thing. Lo and behold I googled tea for dogs and found a website selling tea for dogs! Had a bit of a giggle at the absurdity of it all, and my partner said it may not actually be such a silly idea, since they are herbal tea mixes, aren't there people that sell herbal mixes for problems with dogs and what not? Hmm good point... So what do you think DOL? I don't know enough/have not seen any research into side effects associated with herb use in dogs to actually know if it's legit/safe etc.

Woof & Brew

Oh and the tea is not served hot, your pour hot water over it & let it steep then add cold water. That was my first question haha.

Dogs do not benefit from herbs

can you post the info on this please? It would be interesting to see the research .

Ah sorry, I've actually phrased that fairly poorly. I meant their nutritional value as the website pointed out the vitamin contents of several herbs.

Why can't dogs benefit from herbs? If the vitamins are in a bioavailable form, which steeping in hot water is a very long standing way of using herbs, conversely tinctures and poultices are another, then the dog can benefit. There's no promises in any way of it being a complete vitamin supplement for the dogs daily needs but a booster.

I use a lot of natural products myself. The first thing I did when I moved is plant the beginnings of a medicinal herb garden for myself and my animals.

My Maltese boy likes to "share" my cup of tea - he will sit and wait and sniff patiently until I have finished and sometimes I will pour the dribble from the bottom of my cup into a dish for him He loves it! My previous boy loved sharing my cup of tea as well .... so much so that if I wasn't careful enough and left my almost empty cup laying around he would drink straight from my cup :laugh:

Dogs most do benefit from herbs - my old stafford lived 6 years with Mast Cell Tumors, thanks to 6 months of chemo and then a few years of being holistically with herbs..

The canine oncologist said with chemo, he only expected Ollie to live 12-18 months.. 6 years!!

Pretty beneficial if you ask me.

My own dog is also absolute testament to the fact that dogs do benefit from the use of herbs. Along side the Augustine's Approved recommended diet, my boy is on a mixture of herbs which has helped immensely with whatever is wrong with his digestive system. In addition to the herb mix which forms part of his diet, everyone here would know me well as the "Calendula Tea" addict. I've had so much success with this tea I've been able to avoid not only anti-histamines, but more over, antibiotics and cortisone treatments that earlier Vets (who were scratching their heads at what his problem was) were advocating/prescribing for him (and which I refused). His brother was pts at 12mo for all the skin outbreaks he was enduring (after his owners followed the common 'antibiotics & cortisone' regime, over and over - masked the problems until the prescriptions finished each time). My boy, whose outbreak of symptoms arose after his brother's, is now 5.5 years old and although not perfect, strikes most as a picture of (lean) health.

So yep …. I'm a big advocate of herbs do work for dogs.

Like anything - read up on what you're giving.

Edited by Erny

Dogs do not benefit from herbs and are unable to absorb any nutrients out of them. What works for people doesn't always work for dogs. Nice idea though.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha that is the most stupid thing I've heard.