Grieving Dogs - What Else Can I Do?

Kajtek

May I please have your thoughts...

We lost our Queen Bee on Sunday.

My other two dogs are now very quiet, subdued, don't want to play, hardly eat and generally look miserable. I have maintained their routine and we try to be positive.

What else can I do?

In your experience, how long does it take for them to get used to the change in the pack?

Thank you.

Dogs reactions can vary quite dramatically when one of their pack dissappears, the time frame is an individual thing.

I would try using a DAP diffuser, or spray on their collars and beds etc. (not on the dog) that will also help as they settle back into positions in the pack.

None of my dogs could care less if the others dissappeared as long as I was around but I have been having problems with my youngest cat since losing my elderly cat 7-8 months ago, we are using Feliway (DAP for cats) and we have recently adopted another male kitten which seems to have helped.

Sometimes completely changing their routine can help, or rather creating a new and different routine. That way there is still some consistency, but it's a changed one from previously. It gives them something else to think about, for a short time while they adjust to a new routine. Stuff like changing the location of where you feed them, walking them in different places, etc.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss crying.gif *gentle hugs*

We lost our Joey last Sept. frown.gif

Miah came to terms with it very quickly but then she had only known him since Feb of that year.

Renae on the other hand, as she was Joey's Mum and had been with him for most of his life, has had trouble coping at times, hasn't helped shes had her own issues going on with her health mostly due to her getting older. She used to want to go outside all the time and just look around and would come back in looking bit sad and disappointed.

It was lucky I was around to at home to give her lots of comfort, and it was good that we had young Miah to hang around with Renae and give her some distraction.

Until very recently Renae hasn't wanted to go into Joey and her crate they shared, and when she has she often licks the wires, she must be able to still smell his scent in it?

Its a very emotional time to go through, for us and our other dogs.

Harry, our greyhound, took about 3 months to grieve for Flash, great dane, after she passed.

We walked him in different places, and tried to be upbeat (which helped us as we had Harry to distract us from the crying!). He is an "emotional" dog, and seems to be affected by circumstances around him, so I wasn't surprised it took so long.

After about 3 months, he regained his sense of humour and started getting to be a clown again, and that's when we knew he was going okay.

Time is the best healer, even though that sounds trite.

Sorry for your loss :(

Depends on the dogs, but I would agree with creating a new routine.

We lost Dallas in March and his sister Poppy mourned for him for just about 6 months - she had only come to live with us the previous June, they weren't life long buddies.

The rest of our dogs didn't even seem to know or care he was gone.

Thank you.

Such a sad and difficult time, Kajtek. :cry::cry: Some dogs grieve and some don't. As others have said, it is different for individual dogs - it takes time. As you had a threesome, I would imagine the two left will come to terms reasonably quickly. I hope so for them and for you.

To see our dogs grieving and to know that only time will heal, is very very difficult.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Our vet told me that she finds the average grieving period for dogs is three weeks. But I've found it depends on the individual dog. Also, just my experience, the older the dog, the less quickly they bounce back. That fits change being harder the older they get. Our 14 yr old girl never got over the loss of her younger 'sister'.

Again, tho', still comes down to the individual dog.

My only advice is to provide things & activities which are new and rewarding.

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I will take them all on board - hopefully something works.

Mita: My 2 other dogs are 7.5 and 6.5 ie very mature considering what they are.

It's ok if it takes a month or so but I want to avoid creating a grieving pattern. It can be self-feeding in the long run.

Haredown Whippets: Guilty as charged.

We really miss her and though we try to be 'good', we are probably sending all sorts of wrong signals to them.

Re exercise; the dogs get 2 walks per day and there is little chance of more due to time issues. You have given me an idea - perhaps we'll go somewhere special this weekend. It might help ***fingers very crossed***.

We changed a few things immediately - got Guin a new water bowl (which was needed) and did a massive spring clean. She also sat on our laps through many a long cry - I couldn't go into the yard without tears for almost a fortnight when my old man went.

We spoilt her but also tried to stick to routine.

Maybe yours would like one on one walks (depending on number) . Just be gentle but don't hide your emotions too much - they're best at taking their lead from you and if you're "acting strange" they will pick up on that.

So sorry for your loss. Big hugs.