Ostisarcoma & Amputation

SaltyDog

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody out there're has had a dog with ostisarcoma and gone through an amputation? We have just had a worst case diagnosis and have 2 choices...either amputate or euthanize. It's in his back femur, and would be a leg and hip amputation. It's incredibly hard...so just wanting to hear other peoples thoughts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs cope amazinglly well with amputation. They tend to live in the "now" rather than focus like we would in what they have lost. If the osteo sarcoma hasn't metasasized and the vet says the other limbs are strong enough to cope, then amputation is definitely an option. For me the important thing is making sure the dog has quality of life.

Thanks for the response guys. I have contacted Dave from that other post just to see if he has any thoughts on it all.

We are stuck between putting out Boy through trauma or giving him peace. Every minute with him is special to us, and if we can get another happy 1-2 years with him...we think it will be worth it. But we don't want him to suffer for no reason...and we are worried we may be taking the option that keeps us happy, by which I mean amputation, and this may not give him the quality of life he deserves....bloody hard choice.

Are his lungs clear? Osteo in my breed is very aggressive, even after amputation average survival is not very long. I have amputated for other reasons but I would hesitate for osteo. I wish your boy all the best.

Edited by Diva

Usually by the time osteosarcoma in a limb is diagnosed it has already metastasised to the lungs.

My dog had osteosarcoma, not in a limb, she had it in the mandible. She was under the care of a canine oncologist and we discussed amputation followed by chemo during our first consult. I decided not to go down that road because I didn't consider the prognosis to be very encouraging.

With amputation we were given a reasonable life expectancy of 12-18 months at best. Considering the considerable trauma of amputation and the time necessary for recovery I chose not to amputate half her mandible.

The most important thing for me was to keep my dog pain free for however long she had left. She was on a number of drugs on a daily basis and she was indeed pain free as far as the oncologist and I could tell. I spent every minute of my time with my dog and she was happy, energetic and pain free. Osteosarcoma is an excruciatingly painful disease.

My dog lived happily for 1 year and 1 month on her drug regime. I doubt amputation would have given her more time.

There is a palliative care section of the forum, a sub section of the health/nutrition forum. You may like to raed through it. My dog, Sophie's journey is in the (very long) unwell Rotties thread.

It would be a good idea if you were to consult with an oncologist. Were you given a likely prognosis for your dog if you decided to go ahead with amputation?

I wish you wisdom and courage with your very difficult decision.

Our vet has recommended chemo. All her prognosis are pretty much what you read on any forum. If we take his leg off, 4-6 months. If we do chemo too, maybe 12-18. Less then 5% chance of longer.

Id do anything to spend more time with my boy, he is my shining light and has been such a unique dog with such personality.

But I just don't know what to do here. I know I have to make the right choice, and I will make that choice based on what's best for him every single time...but there are so many unknowns....

How much will the surgery effect him ? He is 10 1/2 years old, so it will have a huge impact on him.

Will he just get over the surgery to be riddled with cancer? Then suffer for weeks or months?

Or will he get over the surgery and have another 6/7 months or more of quality life?

Then I also wonder, as you always do in these cases..did the vets get it right? Is it ostisarcoma? Can we treat his broken leg and he will be ok.

It's so bloody hard...just days ago he was my old mate, and following me around the garden and "helping" me out. Now we have the worst decision a dog owner can ever have to make...really, really sucks.

Just want to say I really feel for you, I went through the same ordeal with osteosarcoma with my old Rottie girl, we chose not to amputate as we didn't believe she would cope with the recovery and have quality of life after, as her remaining limbs were also bad. We did not do chemo as she would have to go under GA several times a week to have it done and it was not an ordeal I was willing to put her through as anesthetics affected her as well. We went down the route of palliative care with our vets and had an extra 8 months with her, making sure she was comfortable and cherishing every moment together. It is a very tough and lonely journey, my thoughts are with you. :hug:

Edited by silentchild

Very nasty .

:hug:

For a dog of that age, were she mine , I would also do the palliative care thing.. a "long goodbye" . keep her happy and comfortable , with no pain, no GA or massive surgery from which to recover ..just love and pampering until she becomes uncomfortable ..

Thinking of you,

It is a terribly tough journey. It's made worse by the fact he has a broken leg, and we don't have the choice of palliative care...we can let him suffer on and it's either amputate or make the tough choice. I wish we had more time to decide...I just am not ready to make this decision and 15 hours ago, my worst case was to have pins put on a possible broken leg...now this.

It's such a raw slap in the face shock, yet I am trying to be strong and rational at the same time to do what's best for my old boy.

People keep telling me that I'll know what's right ...but I really don't and that terrifies me.

Has anybody out there had experience with amputation of an older dog? That is one of the things that is holding us up too, if his age is going to make his recovery too hard. He is mental sharp as a tac, and physically good in every other way besides this p***k of a disease...it's such a hard choice.

Thanks guys

And thanks spotted devil that advice. It's very true and an excellent point. I think the hard bit now is to actually be rational and think like that. The shock of it all has really knocked me and I am really struggling to gather myself back together.

SaltyDog - not amputation and possibly slightly different but just 14 weeks ago put an old BC girl (13 years) through a cruciate repair surgery. She bounced back fine. Dogs don't dwell on the past and if the dog is otherwise mentally and physically good I would probably go for it. Tough call though and I don't envy your decision.

Edited by ness

Thanks guys

And thanks spotted devil that advice. It's very true and an excellent point. I think the hard bit now is to actually be rational and think like that. The shock of it all has really knocked me and I am really struggling to gather myself back together.

Have said goodbye many times over the years, I have learned that it's better a day too soon than a day too late, it's bloody hard but we have to do what is best for our friends..............and no matter how old they are, it's always too soon.............take care, we are all here for you

Thank you so much everybody. It's amazing how much support can help in times like this...just knowing other people feel the pain and have been there before is an amazing boost.

It's such an up and down ride. Tears and sobbing one minute and then feeling positive the next. I just spent 10

Mins out in the garden and when I came in the old boy was waiting for me on his bed, bright and alert and wagging his tail like mad....broken leg and all. He is incredibly brave and courageous. Such a hard choice when you see him like that. I wish I could have some of his courage myself. :(

Thing that sucks is that when I have needed courage over the last 11 years...it has actually come from him. Now I feel like I don't have him to prop me up and that is so, so, so tough and lonely.

Edited by SaltyDog

For me I would go down the palliative care route for however long he was comfortable and hopefully pain free or at least managable and then give him his wings.

He will always be your pal and IMO it is now time for you to be his and take some of his courage to make his life at this time easier.