58 members have voted

1. 1. How do your dogs react to nature shows on TV

• Ignore it
    • Ignore most of the time, but watch animal scenes or some people scenes
    • bark and get unsettled, perhaps running outside, when there is barking
    • watch most of the time
    • show signs of fear at gunshot or loud sudden noises
    • other (explain)

They say dogs see much more in HDTV than they did in the older version . . . .cause the refresh rate is faster.

They also say that flat faced dogs are better set up to watch due to the field of vision provided by their facial layout. So it's interesting to know what breed.

I have Labs. My three sat on the sofa watching a program on Coydwolfs (wolf-coyote hybrids) last night. The puppy watched quite a bit of the show, including talking heads. She barked at a clear close scene of moose walking across the road (she's never seen a moose), and got up and ran out the doggie door when there were dogs barking at a coywolf. The two other dogs (her mother and grandmother) pretty much ignored the show, but got up and ran out the door with the puppy when the barking came on.

How do your dogs react to such shows?

Edited by sandgrubber

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog just tilts her head when strange dog noises come on tv, but she doesn't really watch it per se and loses interest quickly. She looked at it for a bit when Marmaduke was on a few weeks ago and there was a fellow Aussie Shepherd on screen, but then lost interest and didn't really care.

My cat on the other hand has sat and watched with great interest 30 minutes of a David Attenborough nature documentary. :laugh:

Our old BC x kelpie used to love watching tv. She used to chase the football/tennis, jump up at other animals (like on that old RSPCA ad where they all walked across the screen), horse racing was a favourite and she loved the show Totally Wild. Was funny when she met horses in real life for the first time. They were fairly far away so went running towards them then realized how big they actually were and came racing back to us!

I now have Aussie shepherds. One of them couldn't care less, but our younger one will sometimes sit and watch the tv, especially if animals are on.

Go Nova, my favourite show is The Simpsons too! My dogs however are immune to it coz I watch it so much.

However they all definitely watch the flat screen tvs. I've mentioned before about the RSPCA ad where the animals all walk across the screen, they've all reacted to that by following them across the screen and checking around the side for where they've gone. They react to animals on screen, especially dogs and cats, Saxon will also react to horses, cows, donkeys etc which sets the others off.

Out of interest for those who's dogs are very interested in things on the TV are they also very interested in those things in real life?

I wonder whether my dogs couldn't care less because they don't care in real life either. If you're happy to snooze in the sunshine while little 3 day old chickens totter around near your face why would you care about them on screen!

Monte always watched tv. He loved it. People, animals, cars, he didn't care. I have so many videos of him sitting in front of the tv watching it. He didn't rush up to it or jump at it, he just sat a reasonable distance away and watched it like a human would. He usually always barked and made snuffling sounds at it.

My other pugs Boof and Olivia, completely ignore it and I can't recall a single time they ever took notice of it.

Edited by ~Anne~

Yes, to the extent that we have to put them out of the loungeroom to get peace to watch things sometimes! We also had to mount the TV on the wall to get it away from the dogs. Our primary watchers are Neo and Molly, so one rottweiler and one border collie. I know of a few rotts that like watching TV :)

Guest hankodie

Hank mostly ignores the TV, I don't even think he knows it's there, he must wonder why everyone sits down on the couch at 8.30 to stare at a box for an hour every night :rofl:

Odie on the other hand watches the TV intently. We can't watch any nature shows or anything that showcases animals with 4 legs, she goes crazy and barks at them and then runs to the window as if the animal is just going to stroll up onto our doorstep :laugh:

We just got a big arse tv for Christmas so Tempeh has shown quite a bit of interest on what is on the screen. She is mainly interested in animal shows, not so much dogs but other animals. In real life she's met a cat, some small birds and chickens but I suspect she'd be quite interested (read terrified) of horses!

This reminds me - when I was a kid and we had those big, chunky tv's, our Siamese cat would sleep on top of it for the warmth that radiated up the back but she'd get really floppy and her legs and tail would flop down over the screen. We'd always be yelling at her to wake up so we could see the screen properly! Those days are long gone of course with tv's only 2cm or so thick these days. Gawd I used to have a fish tank set inside an old tv in my flatting years. That's how big they used to be! And my grandads old black and white tv was built into this massive big entertainment unit that housed a turntable, radio and had separate speakers! It was his pride and joy.