Growing Old

rusty&biscuit

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have lost many characters to the Bridge haven't we SL. :(

I like to think that they are having one giant Kepala outing, with activities for all dogs to enjoy, from the energetic and sociable to the quiet loners. All happy, occupied and well fed. :D

These posts and pics are so precious and beautiful ! heart.gif

Our Renae is almost 12 and she's really aging, has more since her son Joey left us crying.gif She's always a been a super healthy dog apart from going deaf a few years back. She did have a serious liver condition earlier last year and the vet thought she might not live BUT she came good and still here with us .

She's been having minor tremors and headshaking for a while (which is not uncommon in some older dogs) but we have noticed shes getting more frequent with them and shes started slipping on her legs just recently :( However some days shes still very much with it and can get up and down our bed (with a toy box and step) quite easily.

Theres no sign of incontinence luckily but there are other sign of her aging we are not happy about. We count each day we have with her now. If things get worse and she cant stand properly, we will give her her wings. I notice every time we put her outside now for her toilet time etc, she will just keep looking around and barking. Shes never done that before without a reason.

I hate that shes getting old but we are grateful we still have her at her age.

She was such a pretty girl in her day (well she used to be a show girl) but shes showing all the sign of old age now, physically and mentally.

Christmas a few years ago

post-11918-0-14278400-1390714435_thumb.jpg

Last Christmas with Miah

post-11918-0-36424900-1390714494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I like to think that they are having one giant Kepala outing, with activities for all dogs to enjoy, from the energetic and sociable to the quiet loners. All happy, occupied and well fed. :D

I'm thinking Baylee might have hooked up with my heart dog Woosie... they sound so similar... Woosie was 11 and some months when she went to the Bridge in 2004. Your Rotties so remind me of Woosie...

T.

My oldie had me in fits of laughter this morning - she was busy acting like she was 3 not 13 and a bit and I was busy telling her to tone it down as I don't want her surgery leg to fail. That would not be the phone call I want to make to my parents.

We sure have..

I wish they lived as long as we do.

I'm the same - like the think they are all at the bridge together, having a great time..

My daughter has a friend who she argues with a lot. One minute they're best mates, the next they're at each other's throats. This friend's elderly dog died late last year. My daughter is sure that her friend's dog and Indiana are at the bridge together, arguing just like their little girls. :laugh:

My George. I lost him to cancer May of 2012.

easter2.jpg

And nine days after that Lani went with bone cancer.

DSC02622.jpg

This is Stevie :heart: at 10 and a half. My boy started going grey at 3 or 4. Every day I have with him is special. Right now he's drooling on my pillow, he's lucky I love him :laugh:

s-1_zps992e74ab.jpg

st_zpse4bae5d2.jpg

I do love puppies but there is something very special about old dogs.

Edited by kdf

I miss photo's of Baylee and Clover..

There are so many DOL dogs now at the bridge together..

It is sad watching them age through their stories and photos, but such a joy knowing how loved they all are. And yes many many are missed everyday :(.

Aw thank you everyone posting, I love reading about all your beautiful dogs, and of course, seeing their gorgeous faces, :love:

To the ones who oldies have passed on, big hugs to you all :grouphug:

Like you all who are still lucky enough to have time with our oldies, I treasure every day I have with Cherry :D

I do love the oldies! They have such character. Here are my two oldies... Cleo (black) who turned 13 last November. She has lumbo sacral disease so is getting pretty wobby in the back end, but so far she is still happy and otherwise healthy. The white and black girl is Freckles....11 years and 7 months old, she was diagnosed with a benign internal mass and came to live with me because we didn't want to rehome her, not knowing how long she would last...that was over 3 years ago! :D a2u2y8a8.jpge4aduva6.jpg

Edited by New Age Outlaw

They sure do! We weren't sure what to expect with Freckles...nobody, including her vet, thought she would make it this far, and to be honest, anyone who didn't know her wouldn't even know there was anything wrong with her. She gets out of breath easily (we think because the tumour presses against her diaphragm), and lately she has changed her eating habits (as in what she will and won't eat). Blood tests indicated some liver involvement, but are otherwise normal, so who knows? While she's still bouncing around like a happy goof and eating her food, I'm not going to worry too much about it. :)

NAO my old Stafford girl was full of cancer masses, had pancreatitis, incontinence from both ends, some mobility problems, was blind, deaf and had dementia yet it was her determination to still be a dog that stopped us from pts'ing her earlier. She thought she was still head of the pack, tough as nails and was not one to lie around letting the world pass her by. Those last six months she had a monthly vet check up and her quality of life was still in favour of her sticking around despite all her health and old age issues. The only reason we made the decision when we did was because I could not longer cope with the worry of coming home and finding that she'd hurt herself or gotten stuck somewhere. It never happened but the potential for it seemed to be increasing. It took me a long time to accept I hadn't jumped the gun. She left us just shy of 17 and the first year of her life prior to her abandonment pregnant was not an easy one. But once she was rescued she never let that hold her back. Dogs are amazing creatures!