Puts My Feeding Time To Shame

teekay

Wouldn't the dogs at the top of the pecking order finish their food and then go scout out what's in the other dogs' bowl because they're entitled to it? (ie. usually the pack leader eats first and then when it's done, THEN the rest of the pack take turns in order)

Wouldn't the dogs at the top of the pecking order finish their food and then go scout out what's in the other dogs' bowl because they're entitled to it? (ie. usually the pack leader eats first and then when it's done, THEN the rest of the pack take turns in order)

I would imagine the woman is the pack leader ... as it should be :D

Given the control she has over feeding them, I highly doubt any of them would go and annoy another. Feeding multiple dogs in close proximity it is something that you teach them - to leave others alone.

My guys all get fed in a similar way to the video but with only 3 of them it is an awful lot easier to manage and train that it would be for that many. All of mine know not to bother another, they are taught from a puppy by me body blocking any attempts to approach anyone else's bowl. What they do know though is a bowl that has been left unattended they can investigate so whoever finishes first usually stands back a couple of metres and watches the other 2 intently until 1 of them moves away and then they quickly go and check :)

Wouldn't the dogs at the top of the pecking order finish their food and then go scout out what's in the other dogs' bowl because they're entitled to it?

no because the bowls are not the dogs. I don't let mine scout out either, they finish and off you go otherwise it would be a full on brawl as they're too evenly matched.

If you teach the dog to eat from the bowl in front of them and when it's empty that's it you don't have issues.

Wouldn't the dogs at the top of the pecking order finish their food and then go scout out what's in the other dogs' bowl because they're entitled to it?

no because the bowls are not the dogs. I don't let mine scout out either, they finish and off you go otherwise it would be a full on brawl as they're too evenly matched.

If you teach the dog to eat from the bowl in front of them and when it's empty that's it you don't have issues.

How did you teach that, I have five dogs one eats out the back one out the front and the three poodles together. They swap bowls all the time.

I have had 10 - 15 dogs in house and been able to put bowls down to feed in close proximity like that but only nominate which dog owns that bowl as it lands. The dogs knew once their bowl was empty they were not to herd someone away from their bowl. I would stay close though in case someone decided to push their luck. I'm sure there are a few DOL people who have been out at my place during feed times. There is no way I could teach them to wait at the gate until their names were called. I am very very impressed.

How did you teach that, I have five dogs one eats out the back one out the front and the three poodles together. They swap bowls all the time.

With that many dogs I would start with barriers. You call the dog, put the bowl down in front of it and give it a command to eat. If it leaves it's bowl you pick that bowl up and food time is over for that dog if it wants to play like that. Finish your food or go hungry. I still supervise but the older ones have learned when they finish go off in your own direction. When you're teaching though if you see a dog make a move off it's bowl towards another you simply give it a gruff command to leave that other one alone.

Food time should not be overly exciting. Otherwise I would be removing the food and until they settle down, no meal, miss out. Supervising multiples is always a good idea anyway, I still keep an ear out to what everyone is up to. The pug still goes in her crate because she's messy and needs a special meal so she doesn't choke. I have taught mine while I'm trimming meat etc in the kitchen that if I call a name and throw a tid bit only that dog is to catch it and eat it, the rest are to leave. If you control the resources and have verbal control over your dogs there's no reason why you can't do what this woman does.

As for a feeding time.... try this many

That looks dangerous to me Nekhbet and there is no way of knowing if some of the pack go hungry.

I know a fair few working dog people who feed like that, it's easy to see if ones are going hungry as they'll be hollow after the meal then you just give them food alone.