$^&%^ Idiots

Canisbellum

I went for a hike on MT Cootha with Jonah this morning and all the literature and signage is pretty clear that all dogs must be on a leash. As Jonah turns into Cujo if dogs run up to him its a big deal in my life.

However based on my encounters this morning most people must be illiterate,or speshull. The 1st one I had words with asked me if I wanted her to put her dog on a lead while she overtook me "even though it is a park" So I had to explain to her that she should do some reading and she would discover that its a requirement. I did try to be pleasant but I don't think that I was successful.

My next encounter I had my camera running and I had a small sense of humor failure when her dog ran right up to us with no reaction from her at all till I asked her to remove her dog. I suspect that she knew that she was in the wrong as there were no arguments. I go to great lengths to make sure my dog isn't bothering anyone else but it seems that most people don't share the same feelings and its driving me crazy.

Edited by Canetoad

I went for a hike on MT Cootha with Jonah this morning and all the literature and signage is pretty clear that all dogs must be on a leash. As Jonah turns into Cujo if dogs run up to him its a big deal in my life.

However based on my encounters this morning most people must be illiterate,or speshull. The 1st one I had words with asked me if I wanted her to put her dog on a lead while she overtook me "even though it is a park" So I had to explain to her that she should do some reading and she would discover that its a requirement. I did try to be pleasant but I don't think that I was successful.

My next encounter I had my camera running and I had a small sense of humor failure when her dog ran right up to us with no reaction from her at all till I asked her to remove her dog. I suspect that she knew that she was in the wrong as there were no arguments. I go to great lengths to make sure my dog isn't bothering anyone else but it seems that most people don't share the same feelings and its driving me crazy.

It is incredibly frustrating when people let their dogs run up to you in what is meant to be an on lead area. My boy doesn't quite turn into Cujo, but he is very unimpressed with rude approaches.

Over time I've realised though that when I have a sense of humour failure it just reinforces to him that he is right to scare the other dogs away. It's taken me a long time to come to the conclusion and then keep control of myself when sheer stupidity presents itself.

Generally now I just steer clear of those areas when I've got him with me. Such a shame because Cootha is such a pretty spot.

I like that you said to the first person that she should do some reading, as in OF THE SIGNS, not that difficult people.

I feel your pain, I had a large, untested with dogs as yet, entire male shelter dog on lead, (at the shelter, on the way to taking him to his kennel) when a member of the public's large male off leash dog ran straight up to us with her some distance behind... thankfully my shelter dog responded surprisingly well, despite how tightly I was holding him on lead and how much the other dog was in his face until the owner got him but it was pretty scary watching the other dog run towards us expecting to be in the middle of a full on dog fight :eek:

I find that it's a mindset of the average dog owner. People think that leads are really only applicable to dogs that are prone to attack and be aggressive. The mindset is "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly and therefore it is ok he is off lead - your dog is aggressive, so it should be on a lead."

I feel your pain, so many people with the attitude that "oh my dog is somehow special so leash rules don't apply to me", I love hearing about them being fined by rangers.

Also cannot believe the people who go to off leash dog areas but have zero control over their dog and absolutely no ability to recall it if needed. Around Kedron Brook at Gordon Park in Brisbane has been crawling with this lately.

I wouldn't dream of taking any dog of mine to an off leash area unless it's obedience and training was at a point where I knew I could reliably recall it if needed.

Edited by Sash

It's one thing for people to let their dogs off leash in a park, and another thing entirely when they're doing it in a suburban area with cars, cats, other dogs and brush turkeys. It is a common thing in my area for mindless idiots to have their uncontrolled dogs wandering the sidewalk. I have had many heart stopping moments as I try to hold back my dog aggressive Mastiff and shoo away a little white and fluffy - all the while yelling at their deadhead owners. I've complained to council several times, and they've been quite good if I can provide details of the dog and owner.

I'm actually in the process of doing up a little sign which has the details of off leash areas, and the cost involved in being fined by councils for having dogs off lead in an on leash area. I'm planning on laminating a few and having them on every pole on every street I walk on.

Moral of the story, complain to rangers and councils. Get details of off leash dogs; Car rego numbers, dogs names (often shouted at their dog with no response), and owner description. Report it quickly. Try to educate people - they're often doing it out of ignorance. I like the gear from Friendlydogcollars.com.au, with 'No Dogs' or 'Caution'.

Guest hankodie

I completely sympathise Canetoad. They ruin it for the rest of us. I think you handled that perfectly, all you can do is you keep working and anticipating your dog's reactions in these situations (which you did very well in the video) and putting yourself between your dog and the other dog.

Just a side note but one of the reasons I love DOL is because I find so many owners on here share the same attitude when it comes to off lead dogs. Before speaking to other dog owners on here I thought I was being a bit crazy for getting so annoyed at off leash dogs in areas where they are supposed to be on lead. Every time I said something people would (and still do) give me the strangest look or act like I was being over the top or dramatic, even if I tried to tell them in the nicest way possible. I'd always just get the "calm down, it's not a big deal" spiel.

Now after sharing a rant or two with fellow DOLers I realise I am not in the wrong nor am I the only person who gets frustrated by it. So lately I've just been letting my crazy-dog-lady flag fly. I flap my arms like a loony at any approaching off lead dogs, sometimes I make noises too. I know I look crazy, but it's kind of liberating.

Now whenever we roll up to our local park, I often see some owners that I've had "words" with in the past hastily leash their dogs when they see our car approaching. It's glorious. I liken it to being in the mafia. The crazy dog lady mafia. :cool:

I had similar issues in the Mt Cootha/ Slaughter Falls area a couple of years ago. Lots of off lead dogs. Ironically, it's one of the most well sign posted areas re. keeping dogs on lead! One of our tibbies is reactive with other dogs and we were working with a behaviourist at the time. It was such a set back for us when an off lead dog ran up to our tibbie. It wasn't aggressive but it makes no difference to our tibbie. He will react regardless. I asked the owners to put their dog on a lead because my dog is fearful with off leash dogs coming up to him and their response was if I didn't treat my dog as being so "precious", he wouldn't be so nasty. They point blank would not put their dog on a lead and got quite nasty about it. They carried a lead but I have no idea why if they won't use it. We have not been back since. I completely understand your frustration.

Try walking muzzled Greyhounds :mad

Lol Hankodie love the flapping arms and noises, I'd make a wharfie blush, I go off my nut now I've had enough. I'm sure when the Getz pulls into the Haven it's a mass exodus :laugh:

Edited by HazyWal

I had similar issues in the Mt Cootha/ Slaughter Falls area a couple of years ago. Lots of off lead dogs. Ironically, it's one of the most well sign posted areas re. keeping dogs on lead! One of our tibbies is reactive with other dogs and we were working with a behaviourist at the time. It was such a set back for us when an off lead dog ran up to our tibbie. It wasn't aggressive but it makes no difference to our tibbie. He will react regardless. I asked the owners to put their dog on a lead because my dog is fearful with off leash dogs coming up to him and their response was if I didn't treat my dog as being so "precious", he wouldn't be so nasty. They point blank would not put their dog on a lead and got quite nasty about it. They carried a lead but I have no idea why if they won't use it. We have not been back since. I completely understand your frustration.

I had a idiot last weekend tell me I mustn't train my dogs to be vicious needless to say he copped a mouthful.

It's good to know I am not the only one with these issues, I was starting to feel like I was crazy.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Guest hankodie

Try walking muzzled Greyhounds :mad

Lol Hankodie love the flapping arms and noises, I'd make a wharfie blush, I go off my nut now I've had enough. I'm sure when the Getz pulls into the Haven it's a mass exodus :laugh:

HAHAHA we would make an awesome team HW :laugh:

There's one lady in particular with a yappy SWF that is quite aggressive, despite having words with her a number of times after her dog has charged at mine she still refuses to leash it (in the areas where you're not supposed to have dogs off leash at that). That is until I roll up of course. She sees me from a mile away and I swear the only thing missing is music from a western movie as I give her the stare down while she scrambles to grab her dog and leash it :rofl:

Today I'm still feeling a bit sick. This morning we had quite a nice walk, with several new greyhound fanciers coming out of the woodwork, but we were also rushed by a SWF off leash. The elderly owner couldn't get it back, and even though I crossed the road in plenty of time (think 50 metres)before my greys had a chance to react, it nonetheless crossed the road at us. And was missed by a car by less than a foot. The owner screamed, I swore and the car driver was very shaken up. And even after that, she couldn't catch it, and it just missed another three cars wile trying to get to mine. A neighbour ended up putting himself between me and it and grabbed it (a braver man than I).

The owner was very upset, as I suspect this dog is her main companion. And this is what makes me furious and sick. I don't understand why it is that, if you love your dog, you don't keep it safe, not only by not allowing it to approach three greyhounds, two of whom are not small dog safe, but also by not leashing it near cars! This is the second fluffy I've seen nearly be killed because it was off-leash and crossing the road to get to my dogs. While they are not my style of dog at all, I don't want to see any dog killed in front of me, and certainly not in an easily preventable incident.

I had the same, a guy with a chi x on the other side of the road offlead, it crossed the road ,ran at mine from behind, nipped my cattledogs back leg, then ran halfway back out into the road and came at us again!

I had a few choice words for the old guy walking it, but the incredible thing was, the very next day he let it do exactly the same :mad

I told him I would kick the fricken fog if it came near me again!!!!!

I feel your pain, had the same thing happen last week, the guy I ran into ask ' what is the purpose of having my dog on a leash' to my response of its the law oh and to stop your dog running around like a maniac and running and distracting my dog.

Good idea having a Go Pro on!

Does it count when you're innocently walking down the street and a dog rushes out of it's un-fenced front yard barking furiously at your dog? It went straight for my dog's neck, teeth bared, I managed to kind of get between them and luckily my dog is fairly fast (he was on leash, obviously). Even with me stomping in front of the dog and more or less yelling at it, it was still trying to get past me to my dog, we tried walking away quickly but this thing just kept coming and following us even to the next yard. So I started kicking it away with my foot (it was more like a shove with my foot, not a full-blown swinging kick) and it'd just keep coming. Eventually the owner catches up (he was in the front yard this entire time.) and yells at me to stop kicking his dog. I tell him to get his dog to stop attacking mine and we start walking away.

For some stupid reason his dog gets away from him and comes at us again. This time I kick it for real and I can't remember what happened but I think I kicked it fairly hard and we managed to just get away.

Afterwards I just felt like I'd fallen off a horse, the feeling of shock and fear just kind of taking over and I bawled my eyes out the whole walk home.

My husband was with me, he helped calm me down afterwards. He doesn't like confrontation and didn't want to make the guy punch someone I guess. I'm so glad we live back on the farm now. In our 6 months living in the city I was so stressed about getting the dog out for walks and trying to let him get a decent bit of running in without having him run at by feral dogs. I don't know how you suburb dwellers do it frown.gif