Breed Recommendations?

denali

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A French Bulldog, a Boston Terrier or a Cardigan Corgi.

We always have 2 dogs so they're company for each other when left alone.

Maybe go to some dog shows & see the breeds and talk to the breeders.

That how we discovered Tibetan Spaniels. Don't think this is a Tibbie situation, tho'.

We were looking at getting a frenchie,english bulldog or boston terrier for the low energy side of it and being able to be left inside.

Bostons and frenchies are cool little dudes. Clowns and totally boss in their attitude.

As puppies I'd probably crate or confined to a room until they learn not to chew everything.

Very low grooming maintenance but he would need to be aware of the vetinary side and certainly get pet health insurance. They don't cope well with really low and high temps so options of keeping them warm and cool (like the room confined to being aircon or leaving the ducted on)

If he's worried about pup being lonely, get a pair. They'll keep each other company for the time he's gone and the puppy stage will be much easier.

We were looking at getting a frenchie,english bulldog or boston terrier for the low energy side of it and being able to be left inside.

Bostons and frenchies are cool little dudes. Clowns and totally boss in their attitude.

As puppies I'd probably crate or confined to a room until they learn not to chew everything.

Very low grooming maintenance but he would need to be aware of the vetinary side and certainly get pet health insurance. They don't cope well with really low and high temps so options of keeping them warm and cool (like the room confined to being aircon or leaving the ducted on)

If he's worried about pup being lonely, get a pair. They'll keep each other company for the time he's gone and the puppy stage will be much easier.

Actually, it won't. Two pups can do twice the damage of one and few trainers would ever recommend getting two pups at once.

To expand, I'd never suggest getting 2 puppies at once. We've always adopted a beyond puppy stage, adult dog from a breeder ... then, after a period, added a second.

Edited by mita

Getting a pair of puppies is actually much harder work, as in order to ensure the puppies don't become focussed on each other to the exclusion of other dogs and humans they have to have lots of seperate, individual attention - in other words, twice the work and time of one puppy. Definitely not recommended in this situation!

My thought was a corgi, as well. Maybe a Bulldog? A cocker spaniel might be too high energy, but a carefully selected one may suit. There would be a lot of sand tracking, though!

Guest hankodie

What about a whippet or a greyhound?

I wouldn't describe any young Whippet as "low energy" :eek: :laugh:

Bulldog or French Bulldog would get my vote.

Just wanted to add a word of warning, some frenchies can be super super energetic too especially when they're young. I have a frenchie and a golden and my frenchie makes my golden look like a couch potato. Seriously! :eek: She is always raring to go and it can be very hard to wear her out! But having said that, when she is settled she is great. She makes a great cuddle buddy and is fine on her own during her day, she just chills out and wasn't very destructive as a puppy (my golden on the other hand though....)

Do you think, too, that within a purebreed, there still are individual temperaments & personalities.... as well as the breed characteristics?

Not that I'm suggesting it for the OP, but that's one reason we've adopted adult dogs (beyond puppy stage) tibbies from breeders. So we can get an idea of the individual personality. Our tibbies and our shelties have all been quite individual in their behaviours.... as well as showing some breed characteristics.

I have a friend who wants to get a dog.

He is looking for a small to medium breed, that is easy to look after, good travellers, isn't too fluffy or feminine looking,

happy to exercise but also ok to be left at home while he is at work without destroying everything.

Grooming is also something he is ok with.

i know a lot of it is management and training, but breeds help too :)

so any suggestions would be great!

Cairn Terrier.

Or perhaps a Border Terrier.

Edited by skyefool

That how we discovered Tibetan Spaniels. Don't think this is a Tibbie situation, tho'.

Boston terriers are hardly a low energy breed.

I wouldn't describe any young Whippet as "low energy" :eek: :laugh:

Bulldog or French Bulldog would get my vote.

Agreed about young Whippets (one is doing zoomies in my backyard right now :laugh: ), but an adult Whippet could fit the bill nicely I think.

Boston terriers are hardly a low energy breed.

The word 'Terrier' in the breed label should've given me a clue.

It really does depend on the dog.

My tib boy is more active then my JRT! She will walk and enjoys the odd zoomie in the park, but at home she is almost comatose and only moves if food is involved.

Tried agility - she got in the 'tube' and lay down for a nap, tail wagging as if to say 'I'm so smart'......