Am I The Only One?

Salukifan

2cc in Canberra. I was a bit shocked really. No wonder people get so upset when their dog does something inherently 'doggy' and think there is something wrong with it.

I wrote what I know of her name but edited it out as Troy might not be impressed with naming names.

Edited by Diva

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2cc in Canberra. I was a bit shocked really. No wonder people get so upset when their dog does something inherently 'doggy' and think there is something wrong with it.

I wrote what I know of her name but edited it out as Troy might not be impressed with naming names.

Well she was on radio LOL.

So true and sad, Diva, about people being shocked when a dog is a dog. You see so many people pulling their dogs away when they sniff other dogs' bottoms. I wonder if they drag their dogs along the footpath when they want to stop and sniff where another dog has done a wee? They don't seem to get that that is what dogs do for many and necessary reasons. Although I know it isn't the same, but in an attempt to gently educate, I always say that it is like people shaking hands. People just get so out of touch with animals and their behaviours and in the end the animals suffer.

Edited by Danny's Darling

So true and sad, Diva, about people being shocked when a dog is a dog. You see so many people pulling their dogs away when they sniff other dogs' bottoms. They just don't seem to get that that is what dogs do. Although I know it isn't the same, but I always say that it is like people shaking hands. People just get so out of touch with animals and their behaviours and in the end the animals suffer.

:rofl: I recall my Mum being horrified when one of the dogs did that. Our Da pointed out it was normal 'dog behaviour' and to learn to live with this.

I dont care what an owner calls them - its only when someone assumes that their marketing calling them that to me is a good thing that annoys me.

LOL, Steve. Marketers will use any ploy they think will work.

Well I just heard a local vet say on commercial radio that dogs are "just little people with fur". So I think I give up, understanding and valuing dogs for their own nature is a futile aim if even the professionals advise they are little people in fur coats. No wonder so many dogs have behavioural problems. Bring on the furbabies.

I think you should tell us who that vet is so we can all write in protest. For a vet to say something like that ...... well it beggars belief really. It just goes to show so little undertstanding of what dog ownership (and I know there are people who object to that terminology as well :) :) ) entails and will add to even more problems with integrating dogs as dogs into a community.

Yeah I know still annoys me though. Makes me turn off so what ever comes next is lost.

I think dogs are far more than 'fur babies'. I'm of the opinion that they need to be respected for what they are...dogs.

I love my dogs beyond words but they are not my fur babies, they are my smart, loyal, devoted dogs.

People can call their dogs whatever they wish but I think 'fur babies' is selling them short.

I think dogs are far more than 'fur babies'. I'm of the opinion that they need to be respected for what they are...dogs.

I love my dogs beyond words but they are not my fur babies, they are my smart, loyal, devoted dogs.

People can call their dogs whatever they wish but I think 'fur babies' is selling them short.

Couldn't agree more :laugh:

I heard her by mistake this morning, turned her off after a few minutes. Hope she stays in the lab - her area of expertise is veterinary pathology.

...perhaps the vet was referring to the facts that dogs can;

Feel happy

Feel sad

Feel depressed

Show love and affection

show loyalty or aloofness

Show fear

Steal things

Hide things

...maybe just maybe there are some things that are just like little people. But yeah, if we are going to get hung up on semantics then lets all remove all emotion from speech and only ever refer to them by their species and genus in a cold scientific manner? :confused: I never cease to be amazed how people can be upset by the most trivial of matters.

I don't think that was it, she was saying they don't fight at the million paws walk because they are just like us, just little people in fur suits. (Actually there are fights at that event, but that is another story.)

I wasn't upset by it, as much as dismayed. I used to teach at one of the community based dog clubs here, used to teach in my previous state too. And I really felt for the dogs who had owners that really did expect them to be little people in fur coats.

OMG, it killed a chook? It is an evil muderer, who knows when it will turn on the kids. it pooed on the carpet? Clearly a vengeful and spiteful little person. It chewed a shoe-it should know better, it picked my best shoes too so it must be deliberate. It licks its butt, it sniffs other butts, eeww yuk how do i stop that disgusting behaviour!! Doesn't get walked, oh it doesn't need that it goes for rides in the car instead. I have seen the expectations of people who think dogs are people, and they are cruel on the dogs.

I would like dogs to be valued and understood as dogs. They deserve that. It is sad when they are expected to be people instead.

Edited by Diva

Fair enough. I don't like human terms for dogs like furbaby, but mostly because it often reflects a mind set that says they are little people. Treat them as they deserve and you can call them god or the devil for all I care.

Well I just heard a local vet say on commercial radio that dogs are "just little people with fur". So I think I give up, understanding and valuing dogs for their own nature is a futile aim if even the professionals advise they are little people in fur coats. No wonder so many dogs have behavioural problems. Bring on the furbabies.

My vet would never say something like that. He doesn't do the fussing over dogs or speaking in the mummy and daddy speak...all crap to him.