Do Most Breeders Start Feeding Their Puppies Age Appropriate Bones Bef

Malakita

I am just wondering if most breeders start feeding puppies necks or wings or any other age/size appropriate bones before the puppies go to their new homes.

Please feel free to add if your puppy had been introduced to bones before they came to you or maybe they hadn't even seen a bone prior.

Mine hadn't seen a bone of any sort, and didn't know what to do with it. Still had to hold a chicken wing for a large breed puppy at 9 months old.

All of my dogs but one got necks from about 4 weeks onwards.

First 'solids' were BARF in content. I especailly looked for breeders who would supply BARF.

Latest puppy, now 14 weeks eats lamb bones, chicken frames, wings, necks. His wee eyes light up when he sees wings in his bowl.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your replies have been great to read through! Love reading everyone's opinions.

Do you think that if a puppy has never eaten raw meat or bones before they go to the new owner, they are less likely to know what to do with raw bones?

I don't think so, I know Gus was given bones from the get go, but Rosie was born in a pound and didn't see one til she got here and she certainly got that fast. She is a fiend.

Yep same here. Though I did also make sure that they were used to eating other foods in case their new owners wanted to feed them commercial food. I don't like people telling me what to feed my dogs and I don't ever intend to tell others how to feed theirs.

I agree. I feed predominantly raw but make sure they are used to and exposed to a variety of foods. I provide dietary info in their packs and cover info on raw feeding or commercial diets but state that they need to feed what works for the dog and for them.

Malakita, I foster adult dogs. Even the ones who have never seen anything but kibble in their life, catch on pretty quick. :)

Not just for jaw strength, feeding bones gives the dog a nice front end, too, and I believe that the bowing and stretching involved in eating a bone also aids in digestion (just a layman's theory, though).

Do you think that if a puppy has never eaten raw meat or bones before they go to the new owner, they are less likely to know what to do with raw bones?

I don't think so, I know Gus was given bones from the get go, but Rosie was born in a pound and didn't see one til she got here and she certainly got that fast. She is a fiend.

Yep we gave Mosley his first big bone after we adopted him at 12 weeks and he decimates them now.

Mine were raised on a mixture of Van, raw bones and commercial dry. One pup is on a full raw diet, the others are on a mixed dry and raw bones diet.

The started from around 5 weeks, mainly roo tail pieces, lamb ribs and some chicken wings. Dad is sensitive to poultry so not too much of that. They had Roo mince and VAN and some dry food so they could go onto whichever their owner would like when they went home.

Rather than start a new thread because my question relates to feeding appropriate bones for a puppy, what are the thoughts on serving the chicken wings frozen?

Puppy is the proverbial chow hound/disposal unit. Chomps & eats most foods very quickly.

Wondering if 'frozen' might benefit to slow him down. Let him saviour his treat.

:angeldevil:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Yes. Started on turkey necks and chicken thighs/marylands at 3.5 - 4 weeks of age. to 'play' with

Little vultures catch on fast and have the bones stripped bare after getting them for a day or two.

By 6 - 8 weeks they are eating chicken frames, thighs, marylands and turkey necks bones and all without issue.

Yep same here. Though I did also make sure that they were used to eating other foods in case their new owners wanted to feed them commercial food. I don't like people telling me what to feed my dogs and I don't ever intend to tell others how to feed theirs.

We have an 11 week old pup here who came to us at 8 weeks. Whilst she had some introduction to raw food it wasn't like we feed ours and it took her very little time to become a pup who could devour a chicken carcass!

We do the same, while we feed raw to our dogs, we recognise that others don't necessarily so make sure that all pups are exposed to a high quality dry food too (often in the form of training treats throughout the day). By the time they leave they are well and truly used to eating a variety of bones.

Rather than start a new thread because my question relates to feeding appropriate bones for a puppy, what are the thoughts on serving the chicken wings frozen?

Puppy is the proverbial chow hound/disposal unit. Chomps & eats most foods very quickly.

Wondering if 'frozen' might benefit to slow him down. Let him saviour his treat.

We feed frozen chicken wings all the time, especially with young puppies as it slows them down and forces them to actually chew them. Plus they last longer :) Charlie is 9 and still gets a lot of his bones frozen!

Personally I would feed the dog something bigger. Not because I have a problem with frozen but because they can still swallow it frozen or not.

My puppies are fed a few raw bones before they go - things like chicken necks, wings and drumsticks are normally about all the can handle (border terriers, so small dogs).

I don't think either of my pups that I have acquired through breeders had bones before they left, but I'm not sure. Border terriers are pretty foody dogs, so they don't take long to get stuck into new foods.

I feed mine chicken necks/wings before they go. If I can also get lamb flaps/brisket bones they will also get those.

Puppy buyers also get a list of what is suitable and when. I recommend not to feed hard marrow bones until the pups have all their teeth about 6 months. Mainly because they have a tendency (anyway) to break canine teeth, so I recommend, chicken/turkey, lamb brisket and lamb/beef soup bones. When I get marrow bones anyway, I get the butcher to slice them down the middle so they can get the marrow out of the middle.

I have had pups come here at 8-9 weeks or so that have had some raw foods but no bones. They have had no issue at all learning to eat raw meaty bones.

I should mention I don't just feed raw meaty bones. My dogs a fed a variety of foods. And puppy owners are guided through a range of suitable options for feeding giant breed pups to suit their needs and lifestyle.

The photos of the baby staffords eating is SO cute! The big group one is adorable!

Ours gets fed frozen necks,frames etc. Ours won't really touch boney meat unless it is frozen. Fresh mince is fine.

I do have one more question... Why wouldn't a breeder feed their puppies bones before they went to new homes? So they just grew up never eating necks, frames, flaps etc. That question is probably akin to how long is a piece of string. But please humor me.

My vet said, no chicken before 14 weeks because immature immune systems can't handle Salmonella. However, one of my bitches took to eating her frames, then puking them for the pups could feed. Thereafter pups got necks and as they got bigger, frames to suck on. Didn't have any problems. Here in the US, frames and necks are hard to come by, so the last litter didn't get bones. (Labradors, so large-ish pups and greedy guts).