An Accident Waiting To Happen

Michelleva

Guest hankodie

Ugh extendable leads are the worst. I see no purpose in using them, unless you are training recall I guess (even then a long lead would make more sense).

You might not see any purpose but I do. They are a valuable tool for me.

How so? Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely interested. I can see them being beneficial in a training scenario or in places where you want to give the dog roaming space but don't want them off lead, but I imagine they wouldn't be very effective in an every day walking situation.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most if not all council areas in the Adelaide area, dogs must not be on a leash longer than 2 metres. I'm not sure how far this guy lets his extendable leash out but you would have grounds for a complaint to council if you have similar laws and he is letting it fully extend, particularly when combined with aggressive behaviour and using a leash that is highly likely to snap. Are there weight limitations/guidelines on extendable leashes as to what kind of weight/pulling power they should be used for? If they have a recommendation on most packaging that they are for dogs under 5kg or 10kg or something, that would add extra weight to a claim to council that the dog is not adequately secured by its leash. Someone else probably has a better idea of how that would fly with a ranger as I've never had to deal with them.

mine has a breaking strain of 50 kilos, it is not a $2 shop one.

Ugh extendable leads are the worst. I see no purpose in using them, unless you are training recall I guess (even then a long lead would make more sense).

How so? Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely interested. I can see them being beneficial in a training scenario or in places where you want to give the dog roaming space but don't want them off lead, but I imagine they wouldn't be very effective in an every day walking situation.

They are very useful including in an everyday walking situation. But it depends where your everyday walking situation is. The leads are a tool, like lots of others things, don't blame the tool for misuse in the hands of an idiot.

In most if not all council areas in the Adelaide area, dogs must not be on a leash longer than 2 metres. I'm not sure how far this guy lets his extendable leash out but you would have grounds for a complaint to council if you have similar laws and he is letting it fully extend, particularly when combined with aggressive behaviour and using a leash that is highly likely to snap. ...

Definitely worth the OP checking with the local council rangers - even if only to make an enquiry about the specifics of the local leash laws. And it could be mentioned why the enquiry is being made.

In Tasmania they are similar to what Snook says

From the DPAC website - explaining the Dog Control Act Tasmania 2000.

You have an obligation to keep your dog under effective control.

This means that, when your dog is in a public place, such as on a road or in a road related area, it must be held on a lead not more than two metres long by a person able to control the dog. For example, a small child should not be put in control of a large dog.

When your dog is off-lead in other areas, including off-lead exercise areas, you must still keep it under effective control. This means that it must be close to you and in sight at all times and respond to your commands.

You may not have in your charge more than two dogs on a lead on a footpath, or more than four dogs in a public place.

Not complying with these control measures can be an offence punishable by a fine of up to $650. A court may also order that a dog be destroyed.

Extendable leads dependant on your state legislation are usually too long in extension to comply with a lead meeting effective control and you can actually report someone to council for the scenario described :)

Most Councils in metro Melbourne specify that the lead should be no more than 1.5m long. Unless of course the dog is being walked on leash in an off leash park.

Extending leads are not suitable for dog walking around suburban streets, unless of course you have the extending lead locked to 1.5m. which defeats the purpose of the extending lead. If you're walking your dog around the 'burbs' on the ex. lead you might like to check your Council's regulations.

Most Councils in metro Melbourne specify that the lead should be no more than 1.5m long. Unless of course the dog is being walked on leash in an off leash park.

Extending leads are not suitable for dog walking around suburban streets, unless of course you have the extending lead locked to 1.5m. which defeats the purpose of the extending lead. If you're walking your dog around the 'burbs' on the ex. lead you might like to check your Council's regulations.

I never said where I was walking my dogs. I don't need to check any regulations.

In most if not all council areas in the Adelaide area, dogs must not be on a leash longer than 2 metres. I'm not sure how far this guy lets his extendable leash out but you would have grounds for a complaint to council if you have similar laws and he is letting it fully extend, particularly when combined with aggressive behaviour and using a leash that is highly likely to snap. Are there weight limitations/guidelines on extendable leashes as to what kind of weight/pulling power they should be used for? If they have a recommendation on most packaging that they are for dogs under 5kg or 10kg or something, that would add extra weight to a claim to council that the dog is not adequately secured by its leash. Someone else probably has a better idea of how that would fly with a ranger as I've never had to deal with them.

A breaking strain of 50kg doesn't mean the lead is suitable for dog weights up to 50kg though. The force a dog can exert (in kilograms) can be far greater than its weight so a leash with a breaking strain of 50kg is still really only suitable for smaller dogs.

A breaking strain of 50kg doesn't mean the lead is suitable for dog weights up to 50kg though. The force a dog can exert (in kilograms) can be far greater than its weight so a leash with a breaking strain of 50kg is still really only suitable for smaller dogs.

You know, not all people who uses extender leads are idiots.

We used extender leads with our two chis, if we saw people or dogs approaching we would reign them back in, which considering their weight of 2 and 3kg, wasn't hard :).

I don't think I'd use one with a medium to large dog, but as with any tool, its how its used that makes the difference.

Don't know the breaking strain of mine..but it has served me well for over 20 years , walking everything from hefty labs , to zooming kelpies, to PIGS , to recalcitrant kids (both goat and human)

No injuries of breakages yet :) it was an original Flexi-leash.

They are indeed very useful tools when used correctly and appropriately !!

\\Walking an out of control dog on ANYTHING will cause some problems ... no matter what the tool used is .. :(

We used extender leads with our two chis, if we saw people or dogs approaching we would reign them back in, which considering their weight of 2 and 3kg, wasn't hard :).

I don't think I'd use one with a medium to large dog, but as with any tool, its how its used that makes the difference.

Exactly! I've used one for at least 20 years and never ever had an incident with one. However I've had a greyhound hit the end of a normal lead so hard I couldn't believe there wasn't obvious damage. Only happened once though.

You know, not all people who uses extender leads are idiots.

Did I say you were an idiot? :confused:

I was pointing out that a lead with a breaking strain of 50kg is not particularly strong. But if you want to take that as a slight against your intelleigence, go ahead :shrug:

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I didn't mean to start a debate over the type of leads, although I'm not a fan of them at all. I believe its not appropriate for the size of the dog.

I have thought about reporting him to the council, the problem is I have no idea where he lives and I have no plans to follow him. I have no idea if the dog is aggressive to humans at all, I've never got that close. And he seems to walk all different times of day, like me. Because I work from home, I sometimes walk at 7am, sometimes lunch time and sometimes after dinner. He's definitely clueless, I spotted him chatting on his mobile casually wandering the streets with this dog, when it went mental he dropped the phone and desperately tried to gain some sort of control over it.

One of the shelties is a foster who suffers from anxiety, so I need to keep her away from stressful situations as much as possible.

I've already started walking in a different direction, its a bit of a pain because its the way we walk to our favourite park but the safety of me, my son and my dogs is more important than being inconvenienced.

Using a lead of no more than 2m is the law in the 2 local councils that I am near.

I didn't know this law until recently as I always walked my mini schnauzer on one and never for a second did I think that could be an issue. I now have a Husky and at 15kg and 4.5 months there is no way I would use one even now, for obvious reasons :)

Anyway, back to the OP, I am sorry you are have this issue, I hope you can find an alternative route to walk your dog. If you are inclined, you can report the dogs and use of a potentially dangerous lead to the rangers.

Edited by Yonjuro

Personally I doubt reporting it would make any difference. My mum's dog that was killed was offlead but under control in a designated offlead area. The dog that killed her was on an extendable lead and not under effective control but the way the council saw it was he was on lead and mum's was off so even though her dog was under more effective control than his he was cleared of any fault. Mum's dog didn't approach or even acknowledge the large dog, they were simply passing about 4 metres away from each other and the large dog lunged out and grabbed her.

Guest hankodie
but I imagine they wouldn't be very effective in an every day walking situation.

How so?

If your every day walking situation consists of walking around the block then I would assume a regular leash would do the job. Though I know it all depends on the dog's training.

the handles on original flexi leashes , being firm and easy to grip was actually very nice to walk with .. no leash dangling when retracted , and no way a hand/wrist could get caught up either. I used to use it when walking to a favourite park every morning ...then use the extended leash :) (this was before 'dog parks' )