I Feel Sorry For The Dog

I met a lady at the park who has an absolutely adorable something poo. The only thing is that she doesn't let him be a dog. No sniffing around, no playing with others, no going anywhere near a puddle, heaven forbid. She started discussing her dog's diet and said her vet absolutely loved the diet she fed. For lunch he has cooked rice and tinned tuna. For dinner he has cooked rice and cooked shredded chicken. He also gets raw carrot slices. When she asked what I fed my two and I told her that I feed raw she was aghast. I can't believe that a vet would advocate such a diet. The sad part is that there are many dog owners who are so misinformed. I say, a dog is a dog and should be treated as such, for the dog's sake.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the theme of Feeling Sorry for the Dog. I was walking with my dog when a guy with a medium sized oodle was walking towards me and my two dogs. His dog was showing interest in my dogs but not being difficult when he hit it across the face. Without thinking I said "Stop hitting that dog". He then proceeded to tell me he never hits his dog. WTF? So I asked him what did he think I just saw him do.

By this time we were close to eachother and his dog was interacting with my dogs in a polite way. He told me my dogs were well behaved (as was his dog) so I took the opportunity of telling him I had never raised my hand to them. He then again said that he doesn't hit his dog. Without starting an argument I couldn't think of anything else to say. Poor dog.

Edited to add: my dogs also have two meals a day.

Edited by cavNrott

The biggest issue I see with it's diet is that it is being fed so often. In having said that, it may need small meals often.

What's wrong with cooked meat. Some dogs simply can't digest it raw.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with cooked meat, just that she was taken aback that dogs can actually eat raw. I feed my boys twice a day too.

Mine have two meals a day, Anne. And a bone during the day.

Sorry I read it wrongly.

I read the terms 'lunch' and 'dinner' and added breakfast to it in my brain when answering. It doesn't actually say that though so perhaps she is only feeding twice a day.

Mine also are fed twice a day.

The biggest issue I see with it's diet is that it is being fed so often. In having said that, it may need small meals often.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with cooked meat, just that she was taken aback that dogs can actually eat raw. I feed my boys twice a day too.

Then why do you feel 'sorry for the dog'? I took it that you felt the dog was being fed incorrectly?

Then why do you feel 'sorry for the dog'? I took it that you felt the dog was being fed incorrectly?

No,I feel sorry for the dog because it isn't allowed to BE a dog. Not to get dirty feet, no sniffing, no rolling on the grass and whatever dogs do.

Oh, sorry. Your post isn't very clear. You mentioned that you couldn't believe the Vet would advocate such a diet etc.

I understand your issue with not treating a dog like a dog though. It's a growing problem and I can't see it getting any better. It's better than treating them like they're backyard ornaments though I guess.

Personally I'd be surprised if tinned tuna, a bit of cooked chicken and some boiled rice provided adequate balanced nutrition in the long term. Plus the salt level of most tinned tunas is horrendous, which is why cats who eat it lots end up with kidney failure.

Honestly it doesn't sound like a terrible life to me. A little over the top granted but people might think that og my dogs when out and about. I don't let them play with other dogs as I don't believe they need it. I also don't let them trudged through muddy or large puddles, they take a long time to groom and I don't want to take filthy wet dogs home in the car.

( They do get feral at home however lol)

As for the food I'm a firm believer in whatever the dog does well on. I jad one dog that did best on Pal of all thing.

Edited by Bjelkier

It's a very soft diet... hopefully it gets something to chew on regularly for its teeth but if she is that over protective of her dog she probably has a doggy toothbrush but still. I find that even if I give my dog a whole, large carrot it gets munched pretty quick as opposed to the long drawn out chewing process of a bone. I do think tuna everyday for the rest of its life is a bit harmful though, it's recommended humans only have fish a few times a week, and tuna is a particularly high mercury fish at that :/

I don't really see why anyone should feel sorry for the dog. My walks are pretty regimented too. No playing with other dogs, walks next to me with no sniffing except at certain sniff n pee spots when I give the ok, and why walk them through mud/a puddle if you can go around?

Man. This makes me look so slack, puddles are made for drinking and running through, always have towels in the car for a dry off and if not it falls out as they dry, they eat anything and everything under the sun, always trying new meat and they sample most veg and sniffing and playing at the park are all encouraged where appropriate.

Ah well! Each to their own and we certainly get by!