I Feel Sorry For The Dog

In the theme of Feeling Sorry for the Dog. I was walking with my dog when a guy with a medium sized oodle was walking towards me and my two dogs. His dog was showing interest in my dogs but not being difficult when he hit it across the face. Without thinking I said "Stop hitting that dog". He then proceeded to tell me he never hits his dog. WTF? So I asked him what did he think I just saw him do.

By this time we were close to eachother and his dog was interacting with my dogs in a polite way. He told me my dogs were well behaved (as was his dog) so I took the opportunity of telling him I had never raised my hand to them. He then again said that he doesn't hit his dog. Without starting an argument I couldn't think of anything else to say. Poor dog.

Edited to add: my dogs also have two meals a day.

Hitting his dog? That is horrible, horrible, horrible!! Hearing that kind of stuff makes me feel sick to the stomach. I'm glad you said something to him. The guy sounds like he's got a severe case of denial.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I walk my dogs they are walked, briskly. I walk for fitness and fresh air, if it is meander time then they can sniff etc.

They get to pee, sniff etc when they are off lead or taken somewhere to do that. I don't want them playing with unknown "she's friendly" type dogs. I have four they play heaps.

So basically because someone does something you, you "feel sorry for the dog" :confused: why are people so judgemental? Its like raising kids, everyone has an opinion.

I see dogs every day in far worse situations and as far as I'm concerned if the dog is getting sheltered, exercised, fed and loved, it's all good.

This.

I think the op is judgemental. They've met a stranger once at the dog park, had a conversation, and judged the stranger on their care of the dog based on their own beliefs. Not only did they judge the owner, they also negatively judged an unknown vet.

Edited by ~Anne~

So basically because someone does something you, you "feel sorry for the dog" :confused: why are people so judgemental? Its like raising kids, everyone has an opinion.

I see dogs every day in far worse situations and as far as I'm concerned if the dog is getting sheltered, exercised, fed and loved, it's all good.

This.

I think the op is judgemental. They've met a stranger once at the dog park, had a conversation, and judged the stranger on their care of the dog based on their own beliefs. Not only did they judge the owner, they also negatively judged an unknown vet.

Actually, I have met this woman on may occasions and she is never any different. She brings her dog to the park to have fun and then turns into the party pooper. The vet is not unknown to me because I have used him in the past and quite frankly, have wondered at his advice on feeding. Me thinks it is you that is being judgemental at this point.

Guest hankodie

I feed Odie a home cooked diet of chicken, rice and veggies due to her liver condition. Her diet is what keeps her alive pretty much. I hope no-one judges me for it because I'm only doing what's best for her.

I'm also another party pooper, I never ever let my dogs play with other dogs :laugh:

I feed Odie a home cooked diet of chicken, rice and veggies due to her liver condition. Her diet is what keeps her alive pretty much. I hope no-one judges me for it because I'm only doing what's best for her.

I'm also another party pooper, I never ever let my dogs play with other dogs :laugh:

You are feeding her that diet for a specific reason and I too feed rice when either of mine have an upset stomach. As to the party pooper I agree of you say so :laugh:

Guest Clover

My dogs don't even go to dog parks. I must be the ultimate party pooper :laugh:

Same here. Mine have a couple of friends they see occasionally and that's about it :laugh:.

Good dog ownership does not always involved dog parks and the perfect diet. There are dogs worse off than the dog mentioned in the op.

Edited by Clover

Same here. Mine have a couple of friends they see occasionally and that's about it :laugh:.

Good dog ownership does not always involved dog parks and the perfect diet. There are dogs worse off than the dog mentioned in the op.

Each to his own. I prefer to take my two out to enjoy their to the park and feed them a canine appropriate diet, but yes, that's my choice as is yours in in not participating in outings. Good dog ownership involves in keeping the dog happy and healthy, and for the diet side of it, I can't see that cooked rice and tinned tuna for breakfast and cooked rice and cooked chicken for dinner every day will prove itself as a good balanced diet over the ears to come.

Each to his own. I prefer to take my two out to enjoy their to the park and feed them a canine appropriate diet, but yes, that's my choice as is yours in in not participating in outings. Good dog ownership involves in keeping the dog happy and healthy, and for the diet side of it, I can't see that cooked rice and tinned tuna for breakfast and cooked rice and cooked chicken for dinner every day will prove itself as a good balanced diet over the ears to come.

Precisely. I understand its human nature to compare our standards of dog ownership to others but the longer I own dogs, the more I think it should be resisted. Not every dog enjoys dog parks, not every owner is prepared to risk their dogs' safety in them and as for diet, there is more than one way to feed a dog.

Save the judgment for those who neglect or abuse and I think we'd all be a lot better off.

Each to his own. I prefer to take my two out to enjoy their to the park and feed them a canine appropriate diet, but yes, that's my choice as is yours in in not participating in outings. Good dog ownership involves in keeping the dog happy and healthy, and for the diet side of it, I can't see that cooked rice and tinned tuna for breakfast and cooked rice and cooked chicken for dinner every day will prove itself as a good balanced diet over the years to come.

Precisely. I understand its human nature to compare our standards of dog ownership to others but the longer I own dogs, the more I think it should be resisted. Not every dog enjoys dog parks, not every owner is prepared to risk their dogs' safety in them and as for diet, there is more than one way to feed a dog.

Save the judgment for those who neglect or abuse and I think we'd all be a lot better off.

I'll just keep on going the way I have with my two. Mine just happen to enjoy dog parks, and that's why we go. The thing I do agree with you is not every dog does. Yeah, there certainly is more than one way to feed a dog and I'll continue doing it my way.

Diet aside, what if a person was loving their dog into a neurotic mess?

there are lots of those around, I am sure :( dogs who are kept as showpieces ...not given guidance/boundaries ..., for example ....

That's a hard one - I know a dog who fits that bill to a T and at the age of 12 months was medicated (prozac and valium) for "his behavioural issues". Poor little guy never stood a chance.

BUT his owner firmly believes it's "just his personality" and the dog is well cared for and spoilt rotten. Like someone else said - its like raising kids - everyone has an opinion.

Ok I'll play.... How exactly do you love your dog into a neurotic mess? What exactly do you do wrong? I know the big picture leadership, boundaries etc as terms used but what specifically would you do wrong to make your dog a neurotic mess.

How do you love a dog into being neurotic? By being hugely inconsistent. By expecting a dog to provide the kind of emotional support only a fellow human can. By developing huge irrational anxiety about their health and letting them experience that anxiety. By not believing they need exercise but thinking hot water bottles and being tucked in at night are essential. By lavish displays of affection but not letting them out of your sight 24/7 and teaching them the world is very scary, all of it. By feeding treats as diet because they are special.

That is how a friend of mine did it to her swf. She wasn't well, and no matter how much she loved that dog, which she did, she needed him to feel as terrified and incapable as she was. And she refused to see any of it. It was very sad.

Edited by Diva

Ok I'll play.... How exactly do you love your dog into a neurotic mess? What exactly do you do wrong? I know the big picture leadership, boundaries etc as terms used but what specifically would you do wrong to make your dog a neurotic mess.

In the case of my ex-mother in law, you pick him up and fawn all over him every time so much as a twig snaps, because he's so scared (he wasn't). In a few short years he went from a normal dog, to a dog that shook at his own shadow and would circle in anxiety. And pee himself if someone even looked at him.