Dog Attack In Wendouree

dezzyno.1

I came across this article in the paper about a dog attack this morning in Ballarat in which lately there have been many attacks on people.....the media here have great pleasure in calling dogs pitbulls and I am no expert but I do not think this dog is a pitbull....the Council here at the moment are trying to put laws into place regarding dogs being on leashes apart from designated off lead areas.....I think this would be good and we are only one of three Councils that still allow dogs to be off lead in the strets apart from public places like playgrounds....what sort of breed of dog do people think this is I maybe wrong but maybe a bulldog...would be interested to hear of peoples opinions

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2228610/dog-attack-in-wendouree/?cs=62

Looks like it has mainly American Bulldog in it to me. And really dogs are allowed off lead in the streets!?! Hopefully those leash laws go through, innocent people should not have to worried about them or their dogs being attacked in the street. I love how the article initially claims it as a pitbull type and then later says it is still of unknown breed...

yes Terri S. unfortuantely as the law stands at the moment dogs are allowed to be off lead in the streets.....they are looking to change the laws but unfortunately it has not gone through yet and people commenting on these articles are saying ban any bull breed that looks like a pitbull....people are so misinformed by the media here who are having a field day with attacks that are going on around here at the moment as there was another dog attack two days ago where young guys walking their dog offlead bit the father as the father stepped in front of his son who the dog was aiming for...stupid people and stupid laws :mad

Edited by dezzyno.1

That is horrendous :( No way could I live there with no leash laws :eek: after just having my muzzled greyhounds attacked that would be a nightmare!

Agree, even without the muzzled dogs.

I'd go mad, how could you leave the house?!

Just asking for trouble, as awful as it is perhaps this will at least be the catalyst for (positive) change.

I'd guess boxer X something, maybe staffie mix or AmStaff. Given the location, American bulldog seems exotic.

Personally, I miss the old days when dogs were allowed to wander. But there has to be some way to deal with the small fraction of dogs who attack people or other animals.. . .or, rather, with their owners.

I'd guess boxer X something, maybe staffie mix or AmStaff. Given the location, American bulldog seems exotic.

Personally, I miss the old days when dogs were allowed to wander. But there has to be some way to deal with the small fraction of dogs who attack people or other animals.. . .or, rather, with their owners.

Its a catch 22. Those allowed to wander learned how to behave or were wiped out, those not allowed to wander do not, and there's no thinning of the herd, so to speak, of those who don't play well with others.

Plus the people seem to be stupider with dogs/penis extensions at the moment, and the dog thefts and the like would be more rife.

Not for me thanks, I've had more than enough with one little d*ckhead terrier in our street who does as he pleases and bites passers by.

I do wish dogs were better integrated into society and the next generation to be taught how to keep, approach and behave with dogs but I don't think free range doglets are the answer. I wish I had the answer!

I came across this article in the paper about a dog attack this morning in Ballarat in which lately there have been many attacks on people.....the media here have great pleasure in calling dogs pitbulls and I am no expert but I do not think this dog is a pitbull....the Council here at the moment are trying to put laws into place regarding dogs being on leashes apart from designated off lead areas.....I think this would be good and we are only one of three Councils that still allow dogs to be off lead in the strets apart from public places like playgrounds....what sort of breed of dog do people think this is I maybe wrong but maybe a bulldog...would be interested to hear of peoples opinions

http://www.thecourie...endouree/?cs=62

Not nice, but knocking a person to the ground is hardly 'attacking' them...

As far as blanket bans on off leash dogs, this is not always the answer. 'Designated off leash areas' are often tiny enclosed dog parks full of clueless owners with little to no control over their animals and designed by councils with no idea. Most importantly not all dogs are going to be suited to this type of environment (for example; service dogs, elderly dogs, dogs recovering from surgery, dogs in training, etc), but these dogs may still require off leash exercise.

Councils should concentrate on enforcing the laws that they already have, responding to call outs promptly, and cracking down hard on multiple offenders.

Where was the ranger when this was happening? If the below statement is true then this attack on the elderly man's dog was entirely preventable.

"The dog, pictured above, had been seen roaming the streets of Wendouree, near Forest and Norman Streets, attacking other dogs throughout the morning"

unfortuantely we only have a handful of rangers and they are the ones putting the proposal to Council for dogs to be on lead except for designated areas.....I have spoken to them and am looking at an enclosed dog park which has two sections to it for onlead and offlead areas its probably not the exact answer but may in fact stop the attacks on the streets....when I take my Amstaffs out for a walk I always am looking all around for whatever is around and am so careful of offlead dogs.....the local dog club has a Responsible Dog Owners Program which I would suggest anyone to attend they get all types of experts in to give a talk also teaching people how to control their dogs in situations and how for them to look if their dog has a problem and how to fix it....it is not the perfect answer but it is a start and the program has helped lots of people and probably stopped a few attacks from occurring with the people who have attended the program....you are right it is not ideal with the streets being offlead and I really hope that the Council approves the Rangers proposal for the streets to be onlead areas with designated offlead areas

The current bylaws which say that dogs in public places must be "under control" are not enforced in Ballarat - excuse me if I am sceptical of new leash laws being enforced either. icon_smile_mad.gif

EFG

Edited by RuralPug

What do you mean that given the location, American Bulldog seems exotic. They are available all over the place and responsible for some awfully aggressive attacks.

Guest Clover

American bulldogs are very popular here, I don't know why you would think they are exotic sandgrubber?

Looks like an American Bulldog (johnson) to me. Unfortunately a lot of these dogs available are not well bred from stable and trustworthy parents, and many are not owned by responsible and civic minded people. So sad for all concerned.

Leash laws would be a good beginning.

American bulldogs are very popular here, I don't know why you would think they are exotic sandgrubber?

I'm interested in this response too

Ignorance of the region. I can't remember seeing an American bulldog in the 15 years I lived in Perth metro. Saw many many boxer crosses. I never lived in the east.

Edited by sandgrubber

....what sort of breed of dog do people think this is I maybe wrong but maybe a bulldog...would be interested to hear of peoples opinions

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2228610/dog-attack-in-wendouree/?cs=62

An American Bulldogs for sure, but i dont think it would be a Johnson's, looks to be more along the lines of a Scott's.

The Scott's Am-Bulldogs are very athlettic and Perfomance Bred, where as the massive "Johnson" dogs are bred for looks alone.