Recommendations For An Ear Cleaner

Kirah gets quite mucky ears due to the amount of fur in them and because she has small ears and I have large fingers, I find them difficult to clean with a damp cloth or wipe. Is there a generic cleaning solution that anyone recommends? She's had Derm-Otic prescribed before for an ear infection but obviously this isn't intended as a regular cleaner.

I'll most likely take her back to the vet to double check for infection again as they're mildly mucky again but was just wondering in the meantime.

I have just recently used Calendula Tea for my dog's ears. They were mucky (tendency towards dark wax - but been checked for mites etc, which came up negative) and the wax was further down than what I was comfortable trying to reach, and he was shaking his ears more than I liked. In addition, the skin on the lower part of the ear canal was inflamed, yet there seemed no obvious reason for it.

I used a make-up removal pad, drenched it (sopping) with the Calendula Tea, squeezed it so the excess ran in, wiped around the ear that I could, rubbed the ear as anyone would when applying ear cleaner, then let him shake. His ears have been considerably better in terms of less ear wax production (and what was there came out of its own accord much easier) and the inflammation has subsided.

This is not a veterinary advised 'method' (although my Vet does know what I'm doing) but I have used and trust Calendula Tea for the purposes of anti-bacterial skin soothing in other aspects. This is only to tell you what I've done - I like that it is non-stringent and soothing to the skin.

I don't like liquid down ears on a too frequent basis as I don't believe that's what ears were designed for, but to give the ears a bit of extra help when they need it, I have found the couple of times I've used it for this, quite successful.

Thanks for that Erny. I think I read in the other thread that you've used the tea in ears before but I couldn't remember. I'm definitely getting her ears checked out for infection again before I start on any type of treatment. My previous Aussie was also prone to ear problems which is probably why the standard says to strip their ears -- I just don't like the thought of stripping ear fur as it sounds painful!

Kirah has been scratching her head a bit and now that I think about it, she's scratching more behind her ears than her head. Maybe it's the start of another infection.

Ear hair shouldn't make any difference ,I have owned hairy ear breeds for years & ear infections aren't common.

We don't wash out ears just because .

If she is getting infections then you need to address why.

Food,

Other dogs licking the ears

Are the dogs back feet treated at the same time?(dogs scratch there ears so we suggest people treat the feet as well )

What sort of infection is it .

If it smells like yeast (my dogs ears always do), use 50% diluted vinegar to change the pH. You could dilute with calendula tea. Worth a try. Ditto the makeup remover pad. Much better if the dog thinks "something wet got in my ear while my ears were being rubbed" than "I've been attacked and liquid forced into my ear".

Thanks for that Erny. I think I read in the other thread that you've used the tea in ears before but I couldn't remember. I'm definitely getting her ears checked out for infection again before I start on any type of treatment. My previous Aussie was also prone to ear problems which is probably why the standard says to strip their ears -- I just don't like the thought of stripping ear fur as it sounds painful!

Kirah has been scratching her head a bit and now that I think about it, she's scratching more behind her ears than her head. Maybe it's the start of another infection.

You strip the outside of the ear so it is free of long hair to give a clean outline, should be smooth like chamois, for showing some may need scissoring around edge of ear to further define. Aussies don't usually have hair actually in the ear canal unlike say poodles.

In 30 odd years of owning prick eared dogs (Kelpies and Aussie Terriers) I have never had one with an ear infection. I would be getting vet to check further, maybe swabs to rule out yeast infection or ear mites.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I managed to squeeze in a vet visit before agility training with my other dog and it turns out to be a yeast infection again -- same as last time. She's been prescribed Derm-Otic to clear it out.

We use Ilium weekly and skirt it down so it goes all squelchy when rubbing the ear. Both dogs have floppy ears and we've never had a problem.

Though, if the ear was red and smelly, it would be a visit to the vet as we've had trouble with yeast infections with the male.

If your dog is getting repeated yeast in fections try giving a couple of ml of Braggs Apple Cider vinegar in the food. This takes about 4-6 weeks to work but it will change the ph of the dogs skin so that the yeast doesnt like it. I use it to prevent reoccurrence of yeast infections and with one dog that I know always seems to get yeasty ears in warm humid weather I start on Bragg's around September and continue through till March.

It seems to help quite a bit.

I understand the concept of prophylactic ear cleaning but if you haven't had serious or ongoing issues do give the ears a chance to maintain their own "balance". I have found that my youngsters (under 1 year) will get a couple of mild ear infections - I treat with Epiotic and then leave them be. Both my floppy ear dogs swim but I can't recall the last time I had to treat their ears - that said they don't have heavy ear leathers so I suspect their ears dry out a lot more quickly. Your ES might have heavier ear leathers kamuzz and thus need a regular clean out - in that case ignore what I've just posted lol!

I agree with TSD. :thumbsup:

Whilst there are troublesome times when it is necessary to provide treatment, sometimes we over-do things and don't allow the system to perform as it properly should. This includes ears and IMO anal glands. My boy has had some anal gland issues and I have had the Vet express them a couple of times, but if I ask him to check them I also ask him NOT to express them unless they HAVE to be - I like them to cleanse themselves whenever possible otherwise the anal glands will over-compensate. Same goes for ears. I treat IF necessary, but give an opportunity for the ears to settle down and resume their own self-cleansing. I don't freak out at the first sign of ear wax. I let it be and keep an eye on it. If it is moving, and my boy is not persistently worried by it, that's great.

Edited by Erny

Otoflush can be used to clean the ears prior to adding treatment drops. It cleans the ears out and gives the medication better access to work.(please don't put tea down your dog's ears) Edited by Florise