Sudden Severe Drooping Eyes

I'm so sorry PD :hug:

I'm not sure how you would go about telling your daughter but your probably right about leaving the doctor out of it. Could you tell her that he was just really old and his body didn't work properly anymore?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry PD :hug:

I'm not sure how you would go about telling your daughter but your probably right about leaving the doctor out of it. Could you tell her that he was just really old and his body didn't work properly anymore?

Yes that sounds good. She's too young to really know details.

Oh dear, I am so sorry.

Maybe say to your 3 year old that doof is very old and tired now and he wants to go to sleep forever and have nice doggy dreams?? :(

EDIT; Others have mentioned the sleep thing may not be a good idea and comments about this make sense. My daughter was 5 when our last dog was PTS from age related illnesses.

We said that she was very old and tired and that she had now gone to doggy heaven where she could run around chasing rabbits :( My daughter was a bit upset but got over it very quickly. Sometimes she will mention about Tessi chasing rabbits but not in a sad way.

Edited by Yonjuro

I don't know where you stand with religion but we aren't particularly religious so our take on death is that when we are old we have to go to sleep forever and that we go in to the ground and our body and love feeds the plants and flowers to make the world a more beautiful place so that everyone can remember us. This comfort has helped ease the loss of many animals at our house. We always go to the nursery and choose a little plant which the kids put in the garden for the animal to help grow.

Oh PuddleDuck, I'm so sorry. :cry:

I am hopeless with explanations like this with young children, some others have made good suggestions though.

Just know that your daughter will bounce back pretty quickly. Much quicker than you will, I'm afraid. :(

But time does dull that deep painful sorrow of saying goodbye.

Thinking of you.

D x

So sorry PD :(

When Zoe passed in Feb we were quite honest with the kids - she was old and sick. They did ask where she was and/or talked about her and her death for several weeks afterwards though, which was quite upsetting as I felt I was forever repeating that she wasn't coming home :( . I remember reading that you shouldn't mention sleep as it could make the kids scared to go to bed at night time.

So sorry to hear that PD :(

With our kids we tell them fairly staright, but we do say Vet not doctor. We also do not say they are getting put to sleep as I have know of kids starting to worry if they went to sleep - or someone they loved went to sleep they would never wake up.

We tell them they are very very old not just old as lots of people say theya re old when really they are not and once again kids start to worry people they know may die)and have an illness that the vet cannot fix. They will die, their heart will stop and then they will be gone. The kids watch us bury them so they know where they are - if you get them cremated then the kids also know where they are - and they know they won't be coming back.

I did once have a 4 you son say to me when discussing Boris and the facr he was now gone that - NO mum he's just out there in the ground, we could dig him up. That caused some interesting conversation for curious minds.

Young kids quite often get upset because we are but they don't really understand the sitaution and quite often go yep they have died but don't get hugely upset. They may miss them and get upset they are not there but don't actually get upset about the death.

I find being as honest as possible in terms they understand and remembering kids are very literal and explaining it is the best way to go.

I am thinking of you all, it is very hard no matter how unwell they are.

Thanks guys, and thanks as well for the advice. He's gone now and I admit to feeling a sense of relief that it's over. My wonderful vet was amazing. Kayla has asked for him a couple of times (we took him down during her arvo sleep while grandma babysat) but so far she's taken it pretty well.

Thanks guys, and thanks as well for the advice. He's gone now and I admit to feeling a sense of relief that it's over. My wonderful vet was amazing. Kayla has asked for him a couple of times (we took him down during her arvo sleep while grandma babysat) but so far she's taken it pretty well.

Hugs and love PuddleDuck

:grouphug:

dearest Doof! run free at The Rainbow Bridge/

:heart::rainbowbridge::heart: