Elderly Dog Incontince & Bed Option

My poor old choc Labrador has recently lost his daughter 3 months ago & now his best mate passed on Wednesday. We just moved to a new home. So my poor boy is very lost & sad. He has started to wet the bed every night, he loves thick blankets to nest in but not good for cleaning & drying!

Does anyone have any amazing recs for elderly peeing dogs & bedding options?!

Please help! We are all feeling down at the moment

Have a look at this idea:

http://www.conni.com.au/shop/Conni+Critters+Pet+Pads+-+washable+waterproof+absorbent/-2.html

I had an elderly incontinent SBT and put her in kids nappies (I just bought the same weight), cutting a cross for the tail and putting them on so the tabs were on her back and not her belly. They worked well and she never had any skin problems from a wet nappy.

If you look through general you will find several other threads about this issue that might give you other useful advice as you can buy belly bands for boy dogs who dribble, pants, etc. Plus there will be advice about treating the issue medically.

Edited by Little Gifts

Ideally testing is better he may have a UTI issue BUT if you wish to try an option just buy some sudafed from the chemist ,has been used for many years for incontinence in dogs .

Bedding wise vet bed would be the only option & washes easily ,dries quickly

I hope you can find a solution. I'd suggest a medical checkup before doing anything.

Sorry, but I'm confused. I thought you didn't have a dog and you wanted a Frenchie to help you through your cancer treatment? :confused:

Hi there

My parents recently lost their old girl, but before she passed, she had incontinence issues. They used the raised beds (the ones with the hessien sacks on them) but replaced the hessien with shade cloth. Its a cheap option and is easier to hose off in the morning. The only problem with this would be if your boy sleeps inside, it wouldn't actually hold the liquid (it would leak onto the floor). Wasn't a problem for my parents as they are in Darwin and the dog slept outside, so they would just hose off the veranda and the bed at the same time.

She was also on meds - I'm unsure how much it cost them, but she had to have hers every second day at the end.

You really need to consult a vet about this problem, urinary incontinence can be secondary to other disorders, eg diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, Cushings. If they have been ruled out, then treatment for elderly dog incontinence is relatively cheap.

If the dog is laying on wet bedding or is continually wet between his legs the urine will scald, his depression may also be due to the loss of dignity being incontinent.

I hope you can find a solution. I'd suggest a medical checkup before doing anything.

Sorry, but I'm confused. I thought you didn't have a dog and you wanted a Frenchie to help you through your cancer treatment? :confused:

Hi Anne, these are my parents dogs! They had 2 labs & Aussie bulldog x But I class them as mine! I love/d them dearly

I've used the water proof baby cot covers. These are lightly padded and the waterproof lining is encased in cotton - which makes them more comfortable for your dog to sleep on. Also kept a supply of baby wipes to clean the urine off the dog. (We had several weeks of really bad incontinence with one of our greys, before we found the right medication that worked for her. I liked the convenience of the cot covers so much, I've continued to use them as dog bed covers - even though we don't have any incontinent oldies at the moment. If you need to put an extra rug on the bed in winter, use polar/micro fleece - easily washed and quick to dry.

Edited by Fastgals

I use the hammock style beds for my dogs, the hessian bag has been replaced with old trampoline matting which would allow any liquid to flow through. On top of that you could try Vet bed or similar fleece type of bedding. they are so easy the throw in the machine and wash and dry almost instantly.

I used them in the whelping box with some newspaper under the vet bed (I bought cheaper version) they were so easy to keep clean. To be honest I cannot remember where I bought mine now, it would be 10 years ago - and they are still as good as now. I have a feeling it may have been Kenol Enterprises in Vic.

I have the same problem with Casper, except he poos in his sleep. I was thinking of getting the waterproof baby cot covers but I'm worried the poo will stain the cotton top. Instead I bought waterproof mattress protectors for single beds for $8 from K-Mart which I put over his bed. If he does mess it overnight, in the morning I just take it off his bed, hose it down and let it dry then once a week I put it all in the washing machine with other towels he may have soiled (which I've already hosed clean). I have bought some nice big bath sheet towels for $8 from Kmart too and put them on the rug he likes to lie in when he is inside.

As persephone suggested, Rescue Remedy might help. Your old boy has had a lot of stress lately.

All great advice. The Conni pet pads are brilliant and hold a lot of wee and prevent your dog lying in wee for the rest of the night. Well worth the price. I use them on the lounge as well. Vet bed is a must for old dogs as well to protect their skin - and I find it washes well and dries quickly.

The other blankets which are brilliant are the $3.95 or 4.95 Ikea acrylic blankets. My westies adore them and they wash like rags and are almost dry after a good spin. I have 6 - 8 of them. smile.gif

Good luck and good on you for working around your dogs needs. thumbsup1.gif